• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Product To Achieve This Look?

CityofAngles

Reaction score
So I currently use Bumble & Bumble SumoWax and SumoTech but feel I need to use something new. I need something that has a bit more hold and less shine.

Im trying to achieve the look in the picture. Right now my hair is similar style but the front kinda doesnt hold back to well and falls forward (hard to explain).

o1ezapga9z.png

CityofAngles

Reaction score
right now my hair kinda looks more like this. lacks the texture and style of the above pic
p4v2ayzvqt.png

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pomade.

Look at Murrays (strong hold, but a ***** to get out of your hair when showering).

Alternatively, they have water-based pomades, such as Layrite's Super Hold pomade or Grant's Golden Brand pomade.

I just ordered the two of those and am going to try them out!

CityofAngles

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GreenFrog
Pomade.

Look at Murrays (strong hold, but a ***** to get out of your hair when showering).

Alternatively, they have water-based pomades, such as Layrite's Super Hold pomade or Grant's Golden Brand pomade.

I just ordered the two of those and am going to try them out!

Ive tried these pomede, along with bryl cream. they don't do anything for me. They don't have any hold on my hair and they just make it sticky and shinny and thins it out.

CunningSmeagol

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a Hitler-Jugend cut? I hear those are in.

Timbaland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try going to a salon bringing that pic and ask what they use to style it.

airblaster503

Reaction score
Chances are you just don't have the hair for it. That guy has fine straight hair, and if you are looking like steve carell chances are you have thicker wavy hair.

chas

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CityofAngles
Are you sure? I think I need to stick to a paste, wax, or cream.

That is why this product is so great. I just found it two months ago. It is a spray paste. It allows you to apply a thin layer of paste evenly as opposed to rubbing it in with your hands where you inevitably end up with spots that have a more paste than you would like.

50 Eggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by airblaster503
Chances are you just don't have the hair for it. That guy has fine straight hair, and if you are looking like steve carell chances are you have thicker wavy hair.

+1

You are going to be limited by your natural hair. If you have fine straight hair, you need a stylist who can layer your hair properly. The Carell looks has a lot to do with the length being a lot shorter on top than your desired look.

WILDBILL

Reaction score
Imperial Barbershop grade products has a water soluble pomade that holds very well and it washes right out. They also carry a gel pomade and a fiber pomade. Also, they carry other products such as a bay rum aftershave and a pre-shave oil. You can get it at Razorbacks Barbershoppe in Long Beach, CA. And their phone number is 562-433-4444.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads