• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What polish to use with the infamous color 8

ELG

Reaction score
I have some Alden Shell Cordovans in color 8. Every website I see says to use a different color polish. However, Alden makes their own polish in a color 8 ( I assume, and hope, Saphir actually makes it). Since Alden makes the shoe, I would presume that would be the best. Any thoughts on what color, or colors, will provide the best patina for the shoes? Thank you all in advance.

deanayer

Reaction score
For the same reason I bought AE's merlot shoe creme I would buy Alden's #8 shoe polish as well. I don't like slowly repainting an otherwise awesome shoe shade just because I cant match the polish colors. The #8 is so distinctive a color I would hate to lose it under a layer or ten of generic brown.

Fishball

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ELG
I have some Alden Shell Cordovans in color 8. Every website I see says to use a different color polish. However, Alden makes their own polish in a color 8 ( I assume, and hope, Saphir actually makes it). Since Alden makes the shoe, I would presume that would be the best. Any thoughts on what color, or colors, will provide the best patina for the shoes? Thank you all in advance.

I think you may be disappointed, I belived that Kiwi make the wax for Alden. Alden wax do fine, so do Kiwi in cordovan.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It takes quite a while for wax polishes to start affecting the color of shoes. It also depends on how you want them to patina. I recommend Saphir waxes for cordovan. They are all natural, not harsh ingredients, and don't cover up the true beauty of the leather. Some people use Cordovan color who don't want to change the color all that much, some people use navy once in a while to enhance the purpleness, some people use black to make them darker over time with hints of purple showing through at the creases. Some people alternate. Just do what you feel the shoe could use at the time of polishing. Don't ovr do it though, it is small layers buffed and applied over time that makes a good patina, if you try and do it at once you will get all this gunky buildup and no shine.

Reaction score
Check AAAC for the " Mac method" on how to care for Alden shells. Basically, you never use polish. The highlights are using a damp cloth, brushing, and buffing with a dry cloth.

Joenobody0

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Alden makes a cordovan cream for their #8 shoes. I use it.

Alden sells re-branded Kiwi wax for their #8 shoes.

malat

Reaction score
I use no creams or waxes on my shell. Damp cloth, a buff to dry with a cotton cloth, and then some furious brushing with a horsehair brush is all my shell shoes need to sparkle.

cimabue

Reaction score
Spit shine:

*Spbbbtt!, buff-buff-buff*

Works beautifully for shell. I wouldn't use wax at all.

OakCliff

Reaction score
Use venetian cream. It works well and brings out a nice shine.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A lot of brands sell a cordovan color

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Add my voice to the chorus of praise for the Mac Method. I never use polish on my colored cordovan. On my black cordovan I occasionally use some black shoe cream on the creases.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just got a bottle of the Venetian Shoe Cream, its awesome...really brought a great shine out of the #8s I applied it to. Really only use it to moisturize, otherwise, a vigorous brushing before and after wearing does it for me.

Cherokeepilot

Reaction score
For the beginning of the season, get the shell 8s out to clean with Lexol or Lincoln cleaner, wipe clean and dry, apply Saphir conditioner dry and buff, Lincoln Marine Cordovan Wax two or three waxes, dry, buff and gloss, Kiwi Cordovan Wax two waxes, dry, buff and gloss....dry at least overnite each time.....and finally set for the season, just brush out to shine each wearing in rotation....and yes, I like the military gloss shine.....73s

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads