• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Pocket Square With This Coat?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Have a coat made from this fabric from the Moonbeam book, and I always seem to struggle to find an appropriate square given the boldness of the pattern. A plain white linen square works but is kinda boring.

moonbeam_36536.jpg

Any suggestions?

Navi

Reaction score
Sky blue gingham maybe?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
Sky blue gingham maybe?

Hmm, I don't think that would look good at all.

How about a dark brown or burgundy?

Navi

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
Hmm, I don't think that would look good at all. How about a dark brown or burgundy?
You might be right, I'm trying to picture that fabric on a suit and having a hard time. Do you have any pictures of the jacket itself? And +1'ing spoo's question. Depends on the shirt and tie as much as the suit. The orange grid doesn't look as bold as you make it sound in the picture, which is why I think it would be easier to recommend a PS if you posted a picture of the jacket itself.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Tell me about the shirt/tie.

Is it grey or green?

Should have mentioned this earlier: I typically wear SCs w/o a tie. Shirt is typically something along the lines of a simple blue oxford BD.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Navi
You might be right, I'm trying to picture that fabric on a suit and having a hard time. Do you have any pictures of the jacket itself?

Fair pt: will snap a pic soon.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
Orange with white spots. I have a RLPL version I will send you if you will post a photo. :)

Thanks - will have the pic up soon.

I tried pairing the coat with a similar rust / orange PS from Charvet, and it was a bit matchy-matchy. But will give it another shot.

BerryWall

Reaction score
I happened to be looking at the Howard Yount site last night. There are two wool squares, one with orange and gray and one with a smaller patter made up of orange green and gray, IIRC. You miight give those a glance.

softy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you aren't wearing a tie and going with a light blue solid shirt, there is no risk of overdoing patterns, so I think a mid-navy houndstooth PS would be bold. Otherwise, something solid and in mauve.

And something grayish would be safe, but boring.

It's a great coat pattern, btw.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads