1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What percentage of your monthly income goes to rent?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by GreenFrog, Jul 4, 2011.

1. xchen

xchen Senior member

Most landlords won't even rent you something unless your gross salary is equal to 40 times the monthly rent payment. I have no idea how some people get around this.

Factor in how badly they want to get it rented too. I think a lot of landlords might let it slide a bit if a place has been empty for a significant amount of time.

2. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i didnt know until I just calculated it.....12%. pretty shocking.

3. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

Right at around 10%, and that is for both my wife and I who are 22.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

In general, my advice is to keep your fixed payments as low as possible, really in no matter what stage of life you are in. The higher your debt, lower your income, and lower your available emergency funds, the lower % your total fixed payments should be.

I learned this lesson the hard way.

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

about 33% of net.

i have heard this figure from many people in the past

6. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Most landlords won't even rent you something unless your gross salary is equal to 40 times the monthly rent payment. I have no idea how some people get around this.

My gross annual salary is well above 40 times the monthly rent payment (what they ask for in rental applications). Totally different story when considering percentage of net monthly income going to paying rent (what the OP is asking).

7. DerekS

DerekS Senior member

i have heard this figure from many people in the past

that percentage is closer to what my booze budget was. [​IMG]

8. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

About 20% for me. But I'm talking about my salary after taxes. Are we all?

9. kruze

kruze Senior member

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

10% or less. Moving to Tokyo in less than a couple months and it might move up to 10% even or so, but it will depend on the place we decide on. I hope it doesn't get too high, otherwise it will be hard to save. Parking spots are $700 a month.

11. dhaller

dhaller Senior member

The best thing you can do in your early-mid 20s is to minimize living expenses so you can free up money for experiences (travel, classes, hobbies - stuff you don't have as much time for during the family building/mid-career phase of life) and early forays into investing (maxing that 401k and Roth).

Part of the fun of youth (maybe this is hindsight) IS the studio apartment in the weird building, the second hand furniture and so on - your friends (and girls) your age don't care when they come over, because they live that way to. It's being young.

A small place also has the added benefit of reducing temptation to buy tons of *stuff* - lack of storage keeps you frugal [​IMG]

My first place out of grad school in the early 90s (I won't count the single basement room I rented in a house when I was in grad school) was a $300/month studio in an old highrise in then-sketchy midtown Atlanta (for those in the know, the infamous Howell House on 3rd and Peachtree) on a salary of $60,000, so I was spending 6% of my gross income (I guess 10% of net?) I also drove a paid-for Mazda 626, so I had no car payment. A good way to start!

In my view, there's simply zero reason to have luxurious accommodations as a young man; that can come later in the form of a house.

12. divitius

divitius Well-Known Member

17% of gross, 23% of take home for me.

13. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

10% or less. Moving to Tokyo in less than a couple months and it might move up to 10% even or so, but it will depend on the place we decide on. I hope it doesn't get too high, otherwise it will be hard to save. Parking spots are $700 a month.
    this thread makes me realise how expensive london is compared with much of the rest of the world. admittedly im older than the age bracket specified,but a nice (not amazing) 2 bedroom apt in a trendy area costs me £2000 per month. so i'd have to be making £20k a month after tax (at 50%) to say this...which i'm not...

14. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Ha, same here given I'm in DC and actually have a great deal for a 1bedroom and sworn off the roommate thing after my last nightmare.

15. Connemara

Connemara Senior member

16. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

17. RSS

RSS Senior member

personal residence/s rent/mortgage: 0% (one advantage to being older)
    but there are property taxes.

18. the shah

the shah Senior member

how unamerican of you

seems that a third is about average for a majority (not necessarily ςφ)

19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

how unamerican of you

seems that a third is about average for a majority (not necessarily ςφ)

Now it probably is, it used to be probably 120%

20. RSS

RSS Senior member

how unamerican of you
    Who said I was American?