• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What percentage of your clothes have been taken to the tailors?

demizzle

Reaction score
I'm still fairly new to SF but I've always had troubles finding well-fitted clothes and always end up with clothes that are too tight or too loose in certain areas. I'm 5'8" & 145lbs.. shoulders are narrow but chest is proportionally larger so I always end up with shirts tight in the chest but loose/long in the arms. My waist is also narrow so shirts get baggy around the stomach area as well...

I've never gotten any of my clothes altered before aside from getting my pants hemmed (yes, seriously). I was wondering is it common for someone to have most of their clothes altered? It seems like a huge investment if the majority of my clothes have to be taken into the tailors.

What percentage of your clothes have been taken to the tailors for alterations?

wj4

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm still fairly new to SF but I've always had troubles finding well-fitted clothes and always end up with clothes that are too tight or too loose in certain areas. I'm 5'8" & 145lbs.. shoulders are narrow but chest is proportionally larger so I always end up with shirts tight in the chest but loose/long in the arms. My waist is also narrow so shirts get baggy around the stomach area as well...
I've never gotten any of my clothes altered before aside from getting my pants hemmed (yes, seriously). I was wondering is it common for someone to have most of their clothes altered? It seems like a huge investment if the majority of my clothes have to be taken into the tailors.
What percentage of your clothes have been taken to the tailors for alterations?

Only us poor people in SWD get clothes tailored. The rich folks in MC go bespoke.

Probably 90% of my clothes are tailored. Once you get your clothes tailored, you rarely go back to ill fitting OTR. Most of my shirts are MTM so no need to tailor that. After 2 or 3 trials, I got it down nicely.

My suits are MTM as well and sometimes I need to tailor things such as take in/let out waist, take in rear, taper legs, etc.

I used to have similar stats to you. When I was training hardcore, I was about 145 lbs at 5'9'' or 5'10''. OTR shirts fit me ill, I had to get the sides taken in. Same with pants as I have a small butt so most pants had excess material around there and looked very bad.

The key is to find a good tailor and stick with him/her.

I have 2 tailors. 1 is OK for some stuff, and is pretty cheap. I would have her do simple jobs like hem. I would not trust her to work with $300 pants though. I use my other tailor for that, of course she charges more than the aforementioned tailor.

hyt123

Reaction score
Same as wj4, but I'm closer to 95%. The only things I have that aren't tailored are my Levi 501 shrink-to-fit jeans (which essentially tailor themselves to me) and a couple of other things. Even my t-shirts are tailored. Also like wj4 I have two tailors, for basic stuff I use my (very good) local dry-cleaner alterations lady but for my sport jackets and suits I go to the bespoke tailor the next city over.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics