What people buy on E-bay

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Apr 30, 2005.

1. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Am I the only one that does this: whenever I get outbid for something on ebay or see someone bidding on something very expensive, I like to click on their name and see all of the other stuff that they've bought on e-bay. It's wierd because it kind of gives you a picture of the type of person someone is based on the stuff they buy.

2. FFW

FFW Active Member

yeah I do that too

3. fkl118

fkl118 Senior member

It also gives you an idea of their bidding style. Do they bid in small increments to just barely get the high bid? Or, do they bid once and bid high?

The first one is susceptible to being sniped by you. The other one I often won't bid because I likely won't win, or will be paying more than I'm comfortable with.

4. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Yes, I do that all the time--I'm watching you.

(It's frightening to think what conclusions those who check my past auctions reach...)

5. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Green trad?

6. mrgoblueguy

mrgoblueguy Senior member

I buy champagne and nice clothes on Ebay. I wonder what people who check my feedback think about me?

7. Stu

Stu Senior member

I do it when the bidding is going on. I want to size up the competition. One time, I was bidding on a pair of Ferragamo dress shoes. Very nice shoes, but not spectatular. My main competitor had a history of buying NASCAR pajamas. Of course when I saw that I vowed I would never be outbid for a pair of Ferragamos by somone who buys NASCAR jammies.

8. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, gave me nightmares.

9. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

My tastes are so narrow that I don't buy much, but I won't be outbid. I bid sufficiently high at the beginning that snipers can't harm me. So I often overpay but rarely lose. It's no fun for the other bidders who I don't check.

10. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

On ebay I buy children mostly, and I don't care who knows it.

11. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

I like to check out other people's histories as well and I often surf from person to person checking out what they've bought. They'd be rather bored by my history...clothes, some cuff links and an ear thermometer [​IMG]

12. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

hopefully the last item was not used or even "pre-owned". I've bought out-of-print books, new and deadstock clothes, the occasional vintage purchase, a CD or two, my Goyard trunk, and concert tickets.

13. kabert

kabert Senior member

I don't do it as much as I used to. I used to do it to check out the background on my competition for an item I really wanted. I've learned though that very often, there's someone out there who isn't bidding who is just waiting to pounce when there are 10 seconds left. Message being -- bid high.

Someone here did post once that he had I think five EBay names in order to make bidding for multiple items easier (not exactly sure how).

14. nsoltz1

nsoltz1 Member

OK... confessions of an eBay buyer.

I'm a sniper... I essentially decide what the item is worth to me and that's what I snipe. It prevents impulsive raising of bids. I personally really like new or recent Zegna suits and jackets (just like the materials, the styling and a stock 40R fits like it was bespoke... well, maybe 1" more in the waist).

Yes, I check the competition and determine buying and bidding patterns.

I have even written to buyers for their feedback about specific vendors (particularly some of the overseas sellers). I virtually always receive responses and people have been courteous, as a matter of fact.

Having lost 104 pounds in the last year, eBay has been a god-send in rebuilding a quality wardrobe and even in selling some of my great "fat clothes."

Ned Soltz

15. gorgekko

gorgekko Senior member

Ha ha, no.