what pen should I bring to my job interview?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iroh, Nov 29, 2011.

1. iroh

iroh Senior member

never really cared about pens but since i will be wearing a nice proper fitting suit and nice shoes why skimp on the pen i will use to take notes, since appearances and details matter. i have only used el cheapo plastic pens, what should i upgrade to?

also include places to buy these pens, i am in canada, local or shipping is fine.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

By "nice" what price range are you looking for?? .... pens can get crazy $$$$ expensive.

3. iroh

iroh Senior member

hmmm, not looking forward to spending too much, maybe $20, so long as it doesn't look cheap like those throwaway plastic pens. however feel free to suggest more pricier alternatives, i will be reading with amusement.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Cross has some very nice ballpoints and roller balls in the $25-$45 range - Calais, Contour, Classic Century, Aventura, and Advantage.

Take a look at pencity.com, they have an "under $26" section with lots of nice choices.

Chris

5. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

Short of using a crayon or a quill pen, I don't think it will matter at all.

Good luck with your interview, though.:thumbs-up:

6. Patek

Patek Senior member

Run down to Office Depot and pick up a steel Cross or Parker.

7. wing8tesqw

wing8tesqw Well-Known Member

pricey models may spark jealousy, envy, fear, ect.. find a simple meal pen that doesn't look cheap or like a mb knockoff..

now if you brought an ipad with a nice stylus = goo goo ga ga

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

well I hope your not TOO amused b/c I will qualify my suggestions w/ the disclaimer that I am in no way a pen expert as someone else around here undoubtedly is... also I'm assuming you want a regular ballpoint as opposed to a roller ball or for the truly baller (haha) pen man a fountain! ok... here goes....:happy:

I think in the $25-$40 range you can easily find something classy and functional from Cross or Parker... checkout www.worldlux.com to browse and maybe Amazon for better prices. A step up would probably be something from Waterman, Visconti, or St. Dupont but more like in the $150-$300 range depending on materials. Of course there is always Montblanc.

I purchased a Montblanc Boheme a few years ago when I decided to invest in a nice pen myself... it's actually a smallish pen (about 2/3 of the "regular" pen length) and fits very easily in one's pocket. I like the smaller size just personally for convenience. I got a great deal on it duty free in Taipei for around $300.

Now for the utterly insane... if you've never seen a 100K+ pen check out www.pianki.com. For those who truly have everything and cannot think of one other possible thing on which to spend $100,000!!

Hope that helps.... even if you just get a nice Cross, Parker, or something along those lines you will look 1,000x more polished and classy... I think the style points are far greater than the minor investment. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  9. GBR

GBR Senior member

This post is rather a nonsense really because it is unlikley that anyone will notice or case.

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Turn up with a gold pen with diamond studs, a 3-piece suit with a loud pocket square and DEMAND that they give you the job - with stock options.

When you start, you should send an email to every partner in your new firm like this.

11. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Do not bring a nice pen. There is downside in doing something that might be considered "flashy" or even just "quirky" in an interview, and I can't see any upside unless you are interviewing at (a) a place that takes the image of its employees far, far too seriously, or (b) a fancy pen retailer. Bring a cheap pen and forget about it.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

13. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Oh so that must be why I am not getting the jobs huh? I always carry a Mont Blanc in my leather portfolio. I never flash it around, it is tugged in my portfolio.

14. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

Carry a Mirado Black Warrior #2 pencil. The only way to roll.

15. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Thread has already entered the snark zone, but I like the Parker Jotter ballpoint. It's inexpensive and I think the blue or burgundy resin + steel cap looks great.

[​IMG]