Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

what pen should I bring to my job interview?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by iroh, Nov 29, 2011.

1. iroh

iroh Senior member

never really cared about pens but since i will be wearing a nice proper fitting suit and nice shoes why skimp on the pen i will use to take notes, since appearances and details matter. i have only used el cheapo plastic pens, what should i upgrade to?

also include places to buy these pens, i am in canada, local or shipping is fine.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

2. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

By "nice" what price range are you looking for?? .... pens can get crazy $$$$ expensive.

3. iroh

iroh Senior member

hmmm, not looking forward to spending too much, maybe $20, so long as it doesn't look cheap like those throwaway plastic pens. however feel free to suggest more pricier alternatives, i will be reading with amusement.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Cross has some very nice ballpoints and roller balls in the $25-$45 range - Calais, Contour, Classic Century, Aventura, and Advantage.

Take a look at pencity.com, they have an "under $26" section with lots of nice choices.

Chris

5. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

Short of using a crayon or a quill pen, I don't think it will matter at all.

Good luck with your interview, though.:thumbs-up:

6. Patek

Patek Senior member

Run down to Office Depot and pick up a steel Cross or Parker.

7. wing8tesqw

wing8tesqw Well-Known Member

pricey models may spark jealousy, envy, fear, ect.. find a simple meal pen that doesn't look cheap or like a mb knockoff..

now if you brought an ipad with a nice stylus = goo goo ga ga

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

well I hope your not TOO amused b/c I will qualify my suggestions w/ the disclaimer that I am in no way a pen expert as someone else around here undoubtedly is... also I'm assuming you want a regular ballpoint as opposed to a roller ball or for the truly baller (haha) pen man a fountain! ok... here goes....:happy:

I think in the $25-$40 range you can easily find something classy and functional from Cross or Parker... checkout www.worldlux.com to browse and maybe Amazon for better prices. A step up would probably be something from Waterman, Visconti, or St. Dupont but more like in the $150-$300 range depending on materials. Of course there is always Montblanc.

I purchased a Montblanc Boheme a few years ago when I decided to invest in a nice pen myself... it's actually a smallish pen (about 2/3 of the "regular" pen length) and fits very easily in one's pocket. I like the smaller size just personally for convenience. I got a great deal on it duty free in Taipei for around $300.

Now for the utterly insane... if you've never seen a 100K+ pen check out www.pianki.com. For those who truly have everything and cannot think of one other possible thing on which to spend $100,000!!

Hope that helps.... even if you just get a nice Cross, Parker, or something along those lines you will look 1,000x more polished and classy... I think the style points are far greater than the minor investment. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

This post is rather a nonsense really because it is unlikley that anyone will notice or case.

10. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Turn up with a gold pen with diamond studs, a 3-piece suit with a loud pocket square and DEMAND that they give you the job - with stock options.

When you start, you should send an email to every partner in your new firm like this.

11. mcbrown

mcbrown Senior member

Do not bring a nice pen. There is downside in doing something that might be considered "flashy" or even just "quirky" in an interview, and I can't see any upside unless you are interviewing at (a) a place that takes the image of its employees far, far too seriously, or (b) a fancy pen retailer. Bring a cheap pen and forget about it.

12. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

13. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Oh so that must be why I am not getting the jobs huh? I always carry a Mont Blanc in my leather portfolio. I never flash it around, it is tugged in my portfolio.

14. captainfunk

captainfunk Senior member

Carry a Mirado Black Warrior #2 pencil. The only way to roll.

15. nerdykarim

nerdykarim Senior member

Thread has already entered the snark zone, but I like the Parker Jotter ballpoint. It's inexpensive and I think the blue or burgundy resin + steel cap looks great.

[​IMG]