• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What part time jobs did you guys have while you were a student?

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by APK
Sold regularly on eBay and worked on the college newspaper. Also helped my uncle tear up and lay carpet during the summer.

i've heard of people selling things on ebay, but i dunno what these ppl sell. one du i talked to said he sold games. not sure where you would get them or why they would be a profit on the internetz.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High school- Part-time shelving books at a library, later started working in the airlines. College- Still going strong with the same airline I started with in high school
laugh.gif

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jekyll
Was it intense?

Well, there were no trunks with glowing aliens in them, if that's what you mean. I used to work with the owner and we were fortunate enough to have keys to the vehicles so it never took more than a minute or two to take the car. Just had to make sure there was enough gas in it and that there weren't any children sleeping in the backseat.

How does one get into bartending? I've heard there's decent money in it, but I dunno where to start...
In PA I took a night class to get my Bartender's certification, then I literally just walked into a bar that I frequented and asked for work. I started during the week and on slow days to get up to speed and then pretty soon I was working Friday and Saturday nights as well. It was surprisingly lucrative. The vast majority of mixed drinks are just Rum & Cokes or Gin & Tonic or some variation. If anybody came in trying to play a game and stump me I would often just make something up because it was the first time they had tried it as well and had no idea what a Killer Blowfish taste like anyway.

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Macys and Safeway and did an intern at Shearson Lehman

nikotime

Reaction score
Currently a student at UEA in Norwich, England. Worked before university in a kitchen, pot washing and cooking, and work here at a pub every saturday. All goes to beer money but is good fun.

mondayc

Reaction score
Bergner's. I wear a tie to work and make 1/4 the amount my brother makes in ratty-ass jeans.

ssnyc

Reaction score
Model-Most notable money jobs were Sears/Kohls/TIM (italian mobile company). The fancy stuff didn't pay as well.

I served for a few months and was an ebay powerseller too.

ektaylor

Reaction score
Started in a state senator's local office, moved on to a policy research job with the city's HR department, ended with a well paid fellowship at the Commonwealth of California which just ended. I've just been offered a part-time paid internship at a marketing firm in the Financial District of SF. I'll probably accept and work that until May when I graduate. From there, I'll probably work some boutique consulting job for a couple years before returning to school for an MPP and/or JD.

MrNick

Reaction score
I work at a shoe store because they work around my school schedule. I almost got a job at AT&T but they don't like their employees to be in school.

Lel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
-Pretty much any job on campus. Pretty much designed for students (aka lets you sit around and study for 4 hours).

-Anywhere close to you. If it's a college then shouldn't there be a nice busy street that supports it? Find a job at any of the local restaurants/sandwich places/coffee shops/clothing stores there.

-Do surveys and stuff for your college. Go in an be an experiment for some research study or something. These kinds of stuff will help bring in more money without huge time commitment.

-Work at a "nice" restaurant aka one where you can suck up to customers for tips. Better if you had ****, but really you'd be making money based on your social skills. Can potentially be a good trade off.
*or be a bartender, if you're 21

-Be an RA/summer orientation leader. Saves a **** ton of money so in retrospect you're "earning" quite a bit (plus FREE FOOD PLAN)

matt22616

Reaction score
Selling very expensive marijuana is the only way to go. Firstly, no one buys really expensive marijuana except for really rich white kids. Good clientele = not likely to get caught. Also, the profit is bananacakes. Of course, you would probably already have to have a taste for the product to really understand the intricacies of the business, but for me, it was a no-brainer.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
One more vote for pot dealer, if you're in California or another state that has decriminalized it.

The money will be orders of magnitude greater than a minimum wage job, and you can work your own hours.

PiperInAlberta

Reaction score
Probably a decent spot for a first post,

I got my education covered (and paid a salary) all through school by her most gracious Majesty the Queen (or the Canadian government, first one sounds more pompus).

I spent my nights and weekends as a bouncer at the main student bar in my city. Minimum wage, tipout and the occasional bribe to spend my night tossing the popped-collar/douchebag crowd through a door. Not a bad way to make some extra money on the side.

The_Jar

Reaction score
High school - worked a variety of retail positions (bestbuy, staples) I hated it, I couldn't really take pride in anything I did there.

College - worked as a graphic designer at a sign shop and interned in a motion picture company in the city

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads