1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What pants go with a dark grey pinstripe jacket/blazer?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by StyleLion, Mar 3, 2013.

1. StyleLion

StyleLion New Member

I have a dark grey pinstripe blazer and the pinstripes are very close to each other. What color and kind of pants can I wear with it..... black pants or jeans only? Or do I have to find pants with the same material/pattern exactly like the jacket? Thanks.

2. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

Only the trousers that should have came with it. What I mean by that? Such pattern belongs to suits only.

3 people like this.
  3. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Unless you can pass it off as a boating jacket, you're shit out of luck.

4. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Senior member

...the matching dark-grey, pinstripe pants. Anything else will leave you looking like a clown.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  5. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Why I don't participate much in the Menswear forum anymore: Anything that I might say, somebody else has already said....

6. GBR

GBR Senior member

and it was a pretty banal question to start of with.

7. letmefly

letmefly Senior member

I own one myself and its completely useless I'm afraid. If it were charcoal rather than dark grey it could possibly be used casually to jeans.

8. CrAz3D

CrAz3D Senior member

post a picture of it. maybe that'll give someone some crazy ideas.

9. ModernGentsMag

ModernGentsMag Member

Everybody answered already. You wont be able to match it with any other pants successfully. Try with some dark jeans. It can look OK.

10. Hacking jacket

Hacking jacket Senior member

Go to a cloth merchant, e.g. Sackville St, London and match the material: Pinstripe or chalk stripes in grey are common so it should be easy. It is comparatively cheap for a tailor to make pants. No one notices slight differences in material match, they are expecting a suit and that's what they will see.

It's a common problem when e.g needing a spare pair of pants for a favoured suit.

11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

This is a very dangerous idea. Even if he could find the exact same pattern/weight/manufacturer, there's a high probability that the fabrics would look quite off. You're working with something organic so inconsistencies are inevitable. And I disagree that the inconsistency will likely be minimal; no tailor worth his salt would say this is a good idea. They'll make multiple pairs when your suit is being made up, but those pants all come from the same lengths as to avoid inconsistencies in color, weave, etc.

Secondly, I find it very hard to believe he'll find the exact same cloth with minimal effort. And, since he likely has no clues to start from, he'll be going by his eye only. This adds a further layer of danger, as he, with all due respect to the OP, likely has no idea what the hell he's doing.

Sell or donate the jacket. Learn for next time.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
    2 people like this.
  12. Hacking jacket

It depends how many cloth merchants you search (Sackville/Savile Row/Huddersfield/Bradford, UK >= 8 different big cloth merchants) and obviously show the seller the cloth. By 'easy' I mean it is not impossible: anything using windowpane or complex patterns is unlikely (small differences in shade amplify).

If you've feet in both London and the West Ridings (suspected birth places of the suit) I'd take full advantage.

13. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

If the OP really feels that his time is best spent hunting for a matching cloth and having trousers made up, so be it. Nobody can stop him. That said, even a very slight mismatch will be noticeable up close, even to casual observers, most of whom will agree that it looks terrible. Few things look worse than an obviously mismatched jacket and trousers that the wearer intended as a match.

One of those things, though, is an orphaned suit jacket with jeans. Please don't do it. A grey pinstriped suit jacket, paired with jeans, makes its wearer look like a hillbilly.

IMO, the OP's time is best spent listing the jacket on eBay and hoping to recoup his losses, or simply donating it and chalking it up to a lesson learned. I have a feeling this is not going to happen, but it's what should be done. Don't fall victim to the sunk-cost fallacy and, in so doing, dig the hole even deeper.

14. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

OP: Do not attempt to wear it with jeans. I'd see if you can sell the jacket and move on. You're better off doing that than investing a lot of time and money trying to make this into a suit which may not look right when all is said and done.

This.

15. Hacking jacket

^^ agree with the jeans 100%. An imperfect fitting jacket likewise looks terrible.

Off-peg and full scale reconstruction can be $1500+ ... multiplied by the number of suits and weeks of trying, wearing, returning and altering (I'm very picky). I never have this much trouble with pants.

It depends how much it's worth to you and the occasion.

In context I'll go with the flow here : sell and move on.

16. ModernGentsMag

ModernGentsMag Member

It depends. It can look OK as a casual variant or it can look terrible. Since we don't know how the blazer exactly looks we can only guess.
    Dark gray blazers can and do look nice with dark jeans. Nice autumn/winter casual outfit. The only problem here are the pinstripes. Since StyleLion mentioned that the pinstripes are closely matched it can look awkward.
    The best is to try. Trying to make pants that look alike blazer will not work.

Besides I do not wear pinstripes. I am tall enough :)

17. ModernGentsMag

ModernGentsMag Member

It depends. It can look OK as a casual variant or it can look terrible.
    Since we don't know how the blazer exactly looks we can only guess. Dark gray blazers can and do look nice with dark jeans. Nice autumn/winter casual outfit.
    The only problem here are the pinstripes. Since StyleLion mentioned that the pinstripes are closely matched it can look awkward.
    The best is to try. Trying to make pants that look alike blazer will not work.

Besides I do not wear pinstripes. I am tall enough :)

18. Hacking jacket

In context I think this is a suit jacket.

If you're buying quality off-the-peg suits a spare pair of pants is always needed. It depends on the pattern, material weight and how much time you have to search fabric catalogues. Finally you pay top-rate for the material [e.g. $190 / meter; 2 meters required], but construction costs are much cheaper than a jacket. In some situations the cost/benefit is worth it, but in this instance it isn't.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  19. Hacking jacket

Basically the thread is about the strength of the cloth merchant. A cloth merchant with a couple 1000 fabrics will take the challenge, a guy with a few hundred will give the standard answer 'off the peg never matches'. I just walked into a fabric shop on Reagents Street who gave this exact answer.

Walk into W. Bill, Sackville Street London and its a different game altogether.

20. Coin

Coin Member

I've unfortunately fallen into this trap at least once. Paid $17 dollars for a Hugo Boss "blazer" at Value Village. I remember thinking "oh it has those micro pinstripes like my suits have", I love those. Unfortunately, I have yet to leave the house wearing it. I can't figure out anything to wear with it, and I hate fussing over things like this. I think I'll just be happy I gave some money to a charitable organization.

I also picked up another possible orphan on Boxing Day at MEXX. With any luck I will manage to find a pair or two of their matching trousers. This was another jacket sold as a "blazer", but I am pretty sure it was actually meant to be sold as suit separates.