• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Pants for a Khaki Colored Jacket?

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
I recently bought an unlined khaki colored cotton/linen jacket and I am a little unsure what pants I should wear with it. Initially I intended to wear it with jeans, and that seems to work, and I assume navy pants will go as well.

It is a very casual jacket so I am worried that some colors might look too formal along side it. While I understand that the style of the pants would have an impact in this regard I am worried that color will as well. Would a darker brown work? How about some shade of grey. As you can see, I am not the best with colors.

Parker

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
off-white or 'stone' chinos might work.

JordanH.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Parker
off-white or 'stone' chinos might work.

+1. I was actually going to say cream colored or white.

Leather man

Reaction score
Depends on what colour of Khaki - dark or desert?

Depends on whether you like contrast or blend - the other suggestions so far are blend

I like contrast and would team a dark or light khaki with chocolate coloured pants and also be happy to put a light khaki with navy pants. Dark olive pants might also work.

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If your daring you can do red. I like white the most. Dont do grey. They are two very nuetral colors and just look to flat when paired together.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I practically live in an unlined khaki/tan cotton jacket I got a couple of years ago. I wear it with everything from white jeans to dark chocolate chinos. Dark denim looks good as well; you can also pair it with bright chinos, including Nantucket Reds or random Incos.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear blue jeans as well as white jeans with mine. I also have a pair of stone or cement colored cotton pants that look good with it.

BTW, I find that a khaki jacket is very plain on its own and really begs for some color. I have a white linen pocket square with an orange border and a blue and orange print PS that really gives it a "spark".

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
Any color of dark slacks including the forbidden navy blue and black should work.

factorial

Reaction score
Medium or dark brown is probably the easiest, safest match. However for an unlined cotton/linen jacket, it makes me think summer. I'd wear white jeans or white linen pants if you are comfortable with it.

BoomDiggs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leather man
Depends on what colour of Khaki - dark or desert?

Depends on whether you like contrast or blend - the other suggestions so far are blend

I like contrast and would team a dark or light khaki with chocolate coloured pants and also be happy to put a light khaki with navy pants. Dark olive pants might also work.

It is a darker khaki. I think I am in the same camp as you and prefer the contrast over the blend. I tied a pair of stone khakis but it looked like they were too close in color, like I was trying to put together a suit or something.

I think I like the idea of white linen pants. Do I need to worry that I wear a 36 inch inseam? Is that too much white?

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Necro bump....

Going on an informal business outing to the South for 3 days. Instead of wearing my usual navy blazer, I have decided to wear a khaki linen SC instead.

I really only have to wear the SC twice. Here're my pairings:

Combo 1) Light blue shirt + white pants

Combo 2) White shirt + very light blue faded 513 (I know, I know. But it is very informal :))

I am thinking wearing them with my old Boss black loafers or light grey AE Banchory.

What are your thoughts?

BrooksLauren77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Necro bump....

Going on an informal business outing to the South for 3 days. Instead of wearing my usual navy blazer, I have decided to wear a khaki linen SC instead.

I really only have to wear the SC twice. Here're my pairings:

Combo 1) Light blue shirt + white pants

Combo 2) White shirt + very light blue faded 513 (I know, I know. But it is very informal
smile.gif
)

I am thinking wearing them with my old Boss black loafers or light grey AE Banchory.

What are your thoughts?

Khaki and black don't go together IMO. Brown looks better, especially if you're wearing white pants. Burgundy shoes would add more visual interest to the outfit with the Levis.

My worthless 2c.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Khaki and black don't go together IMO. Brown looks better, especially if you're wearing white pants. Burgundy shoes would add more visual interest to the outfit with the Levis.

My worthless 2c.

Thanks. I ended up playing it safe and pairing them with tan colored wingtips. I suppose I can leave the experimentation at home rather than on the road. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads