• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What other suits have comparable fit to Hugo Boss James/Sharp 2

InfamousX

Reaction score
I tried this suit on today in Saks and I loved it. Although I have a lot of nice clothes, I don't have really any suits. But I do know how a suit is supposed to fit. Anyway, I went in "knowing" 40R (5'9, 175) was my size. I tried the James/Sharp 2 and was satisfied with the fit but didn't jump over it. I dropped down to the 38R and felt like it was made for me. I liked the way the suit coat kind of caved in at the waste. For sake of argument I tried on an Armani Collezzioni (one of my favorite brands as I own much of this line). The 40R gave me the same fit as the 38R in the Hugo suit. Comparatively I still sliiiiiiighly liked the look and feel of the Hugo better. Anyway, before I bought one of these I wanted some opinions on comparative suits. The Hugo one was 995.00 and the Armani was 1500.00 basically. Thanks in advance.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you're in NYC the Barney's sale had Collezioni's for under $1000 and Boss's for about $500... just to give you an idea of how cheaply these are available.

Not to be a dick here, but what I've learned is that people who generalyl don't wear suits and go try them on for the first time don't know what a good fit actually is. If you're jumping between a 38 in boss and a 40 in Armani... well I doubt both fit you very well. True, armani's a slimmer fit, but I'm just saying. I'd recomend going around and trying on a LOT of different brands and models (eg the Collezioni's got big fit differences between the exec cut and the metro cut). Look at some pics from the waht are you wearing pics around here to get an idea of "good fit" and compare in your head with the mirror at the store.

PS - I think it's the "Jam/Sharp", I could be wrong though.

InfamousX

Reaction score
No offense taken. But I do know a good fit on a suit even though I dont generally wear them. I am always working in business casual clothes, and slacks with a button up shirt is my normal attire that I go out in when doing the night thing. But to be certain, I did go to Saks with a couple fashion girls and a good friend of mine who is always in suits. The 38 was the perfect fit on me for the Coat and the pants were also perfect around my waist and down the leg. The 40 in the same Hugo had slightly too much left at the waist in the pants. The 40 in the Armani achieved the same thing as the 38 in Hugo. I can't remember the name of the Armani one though. Apito, agito... something.. I don't know. Oh yeah. Its the James/Sharp 2. What you're thinking is the Jam/Sharp 1. They are 2 different suits.
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
If you're in NYC the Barney's sale had Collezioni's for under $1000 and Boss's for about $500... just to give you an idea of how cheaply these are available. Not to be a dick here, but what I've learned is that people who generalyl don't wear suits and go try them on for the first time don't know what a good fit actually is. If you're jumping between a 38 in boss and a 40 in Armani... well I doubt both fit you very well. True, armani's a slimmer fit, but I'm just saying. I'd recomend going around and trying on a LOT of different brands and models (eg the Collezioni's got big fit differences between the exec cut and the metro cut). Look at some pics from the waht are you wearing pics around here to get an idea of "good fit" and compare in your head with the mirror at the store. PS - I think it's the "Jam/Sharp", I could be wrong though.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also don't mean to be a dick, but if I can give some friendly advice and suggest that you browse these forums for a month or two before you buy that Boss suit. Particular note threads where someone asks how their suit fits. I've learned a lot from seeing how members here critique suits, as well as reading threads about construction, etc. I'll be honest and say that I would be surprised if the Boss suit fits well.

InfamousX

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chasingred
Also don't mean to be a dick, but if I can give some friendly advice and suggest that you browse these forums for a month or two before you buy that Boss suit. Particular note threads where someone asks how their suit fits. I've learned a lot from seeing how members here critique suits, as well as reading threads about construction, etc. I'll be honest and say that I would be surprised if the Boss suit fits well.
I don't think you're being a dick, but you along with anyone else is going to have to take my word that I know how to dress myself and I know how things are supposed to fit. Although I'm sure there are plenty people who wear clothes that do not really fit them well, I am not one. The point of this thread was no if someone agrees with me about how well the suit fits me, but rather suit that have the same style and fit and the suit mentioned. I'm not trying to come off rude but I know how to dress. What basis do you really have to say that you would be surprised if the suit fits well. That sounds ignorant.

Sylvr

Reaction score
it looks like the posts so far are basically skipping your question over entirely and just trying to steer you away from buying boss. its not the greatest value for its money, but its certainly not going to fall apart simply from your wearing it at your desk. its not a bad buy at all at deep discount.

regardless, look at brooks brothers milano cut. its their slimmer, more contemporary fit.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sylvr
it looks like the posts so far are basically skipping your question over entirely and just trying to steer you away from buying boss. its not the greatest value for its money, but its certainly not going to fall apart simply from your wearing it at your desk. its not a bad buy at all at deep discount.

regardless, look at brooks brothers milano cut. its their slimmer, more contemporary fit.

Also try the Fitzgerald cut - it's actually very slim - I found it comparable to the Hugo Boss cut, but with nicer softer shoulders.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
If you like the styling of Boss, that makes me thing German or British, ie fairly structured... so I'd suggest checking out Paul Smith (Byard Cut), Ralph Lauren Black Label on sale (Anthony cut), or something a little more "comfy" a la Armani, so maybe someone like Etro or Zegna (try Z-Zegna for slimmer cut and same "quality" level as the boss). Hope that helps.

InfamousX

Reaction score
Thanks for the alternatives! I'll try to see if I can find these in stores here and try them.

outlaw

Reaction score
Is the James/Sharp 2 a traditional or slim fit. Please help.

starship1701

Reaction score
So what's the difference between the Jam / Sharp (1) and the James Sharp (2)?

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you like Hugo Boss, buy Hugo Boss. Why go to the trouble of seeking out something that looks, fits, and feels exactly like Hugo Boss but that isn't Hugo Boss, when Hugo Boss already makes suits that look, fit, and feel exactly like Hugo Boss? Hugo Boss.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by karmapolizier

Don't know about the James Sharp , (james is the jacket style and sharp is the trouser style), but the Jam Sharp is not a great suit cut. I have one because I liked the fabric & color (wool cashmere pinstripe) but the cut and fit are very unspectacular and blocky- not a fitted look. Certainly not one of Boss's more elegant cuts , more of an old man look.

I am sure there are a million better options in terms of quality from other makers if you like the style though.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by karmapolizier

Jam is single vent jacket and James is double vent.

I prefer the Jam myself.......

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads