• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What necktie would you wear with a buffalo plaid shirt and navy suit?

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Assuming that all you have in your closet at the moment is a red and black buffalo plaid shirt* and a sharp navy suit.

What tie do you wear, hotshot?

* assume smaller checks like a centimeter, not gigantic checks.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For real, dudes, let's talk about this important issue.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You probably don't want my input on this question.

I fear no great man's opinion. Unleash a golden shower of praise!

I will find a way to rock it regardless of you cutting me down to size.

maturola

Reaction score
Assuming that all you have in your closet at the moment is a red and black buffalo plaid shirt* and a sharp navy suit.

What tie do you wear, hotshot?

* assume smaller checks like a centimeter, not gigantic checks.
Black is your best bet

Or just go get another shirt, so you don't look like a teenager going to a concert

LOL

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Black is your best bet Or just go get another shirt, so you don't look like a teenager going to a concert LOL
I actually do currently wear that shirt over another shirt and look like a teenager going to Nirvana tribute. I don't mind a black tie, but I wanna make sure the black tie and the navy suit don't look funny. I was thinking a grey wool/cotton tie, maybe a glen plaid check tie?
I'd wear a bolo tie
A bolo tie? Am I a southern dandy?

double00

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
assuming this thread is for real, I would go with one of those really crunchy silk knits, in a very dark purple, navy, or black. You could even try a dark dark brown or a madder red, it just needs to work with the red of your shirt. I can't tell if gq up there is rocking a woven or knit, but stick with a knit.

although with a navy suit I would try to find a red-and-navy buffalo plaid, or something other than black. that would give you more options. pretty sure thom browne has done some shirting with a buffalo check (bbbf)

Last edited:

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why wouldn't this thread be for real?

But good ideas. But at the moment, I only have a black and red one, not a navy and red one... which would be cool.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 59 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 114 33.5%
  • 8”

Votes: 103 30.3%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%