• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What ******* hath wrought pt 3:

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
the dong ith wringing again. Just went with forumite and employee-of-mee Orlagu to his shoemaker, taking along the leather that Etienne nabbed for me in France to see if we can make ourselves a knock off of these G&G Hiltons: Orlagu used all sorts of techo sounding Vietnamese when talking to the woman, no idea what he said, but sure it was all...uh...forum approved. If they look crap, I'll have no choice but to fire him from his job and ban him from the forum
smile.gif
IIRC the leather cost me about 35 or 40 euro (was an offcut from Eti's shoemaker, total cost was between 70 and 80, only used half of it), the shoemaker's fee is 850000 - or a tick above $50. Collect them next Saturday.

LeicaLad

Reaction score
I'm in Da Nang for the coming month. Any interesting updates to shopping in Vietnam from the experts and residents???

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
hmm - didnt see that post til now, apologies LeicaLad.

Anyhow, I'm pumped about *******. Nothing makes me happier than a well pumped dong.

Copy n paste from my IMs to J a minute ago:

(01:23:57 PM) Matt: i found the BEST cheap tailor......
(01:24:08 PM) Matt: 950000 for tailoring - basically 50 bucks
(01:24:22 PM) Matt: i found some nice lookin' nice feelin' 'wool' for 6 bucks a meter
(01:24:34 PM) Matt: so basically have bought a 65 buck suit
(01:24:41 PM) Matt: basted fitting looks amazing
(01:24:52 PM) Matt: canvassed too - which i wasnt expecting it to be
(01:27:01 PM) Matt: collect it on Tues (i think)

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
hmm - didnt see that post til now, apologies LeicaLad. Anyhow, I'm pumped about *******. Nothing makes me happier than a well pumped dong. Copy n paste from my IMs to J a minute ago: (01:23:57 PM) Matt: i found the BEST cheap tailor...... (01:24:08 PM) Matt: 950000 for tailoring - basically 50 bucks (01:24:22 PM) Matt: i found some nice lookin' nice feelin' 'wool' for 6 bucks a meter (01:24:34 PM) Matt: so basically have bought a 65 buck suit (01:24:41 PM) Matt: basted fitting looks amazing (01:24:52 PM) Matt: canvassed too - which i wasnt expecting it to be (01:27:01 PM) Matt: collect it on Tues (i think)
Do you mean 56 bucks, or is there a 9 buck tariff in Nam for using your Dong?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
******* knows not tariff.

As you may be aware however...it takes more than one meter to make a suit. Actually it takes about three for me....hence....closer to 65 (more like 68 i guess, but what's three bucks between friends)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That reminds me that I have to post a pic of my Dongs (I have two!).

Matt, can the Dong do a suit if I sent a suit to copy?

LeicaLad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
hmm - didnt see that post til now, apologies LeicaLad.
No sweat. Sure didn't find much while I was there, but I'll be going back for another one or two months come the fall. Still open for suggestions!

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I used a shop called Thi - have the address somewhere. Meh, they did OK. The old guy is pretty good, so make sure he measures you rather than his daughter. She speaks enough English to get by, the others, none. Don't expect too much for your fifty bucks there....

Back to my current project...called the tailor (Chieu) today, he said it was ready....went down there and it is looking great, but there was a small issue with the upper arm/shoulder...a groove on both sides.

He had me wait while he opened it up and adjusted some of the padding, tried it on again, still there. Re-pinned me a bit, played with it, and says to come back in the morning and it'll be done. Will post some pics..

Very happy with it on the whole....he's done a great job.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
That reminds me that I have to post a pic of my Dongs (I have two!). Matt, can the Dong do a suit if I sent a suit to copy?
you're getting your dongs confused with your Dungs..... Dong is the currency of Vietnam. Dung is a tailor on Le Thanh Ton Street, so you have a closet fulla Dung as opposed to hanging dong. Ya he can, but I'm lovin Old Man Chieu at the moment, he can do it for half the price in half the time. Same deal as last time? Favors repaid in denim?
smile.gif

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m@T
you're getting your dongs confused with your Dungs.....

Dong is the currency of Vietnam.

Dung is a tailor on Le Thanh Ton Street, so you have a closet fulla Dung as opposed to hanging dong.

Ya he can, but I'm lovin Old Man Chieu at the moment, he can do it for half the price in half the time. Same deal as last time? Favors repaid in denim?
smile.gif

Ahhhh...you are right, I have confused my Dongs and Dungs! Seems that I have no Dongs at all (cue Edina with a "That's what she said".)

Let me see if I have something I can send for Old Man Chieu to work on. The denim trade is a good plan. It may take me a bit to get the suit plan organized so if you need some dungarees just drop me a pm anytime.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
I went to the tailor yesterday
smile.gif
Charcoal with orange pin stripe 3 roll 2 suit heading my way. Using the same guy as my last post (Chieu) - that suit came out great btw, but unfortunately it is now an orphan jacket after a waiter at a VNese wedding spilled almost an entire carafe of red wine on me and killed the pants. ******. I've never been able to find the cloth again either... Anyhow, back to current project...fitting is on Thursday. One fitting should probably get me through, he's kinda used to me now.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
F***ers! I'd hosted images on a company that is now defunct. ******* wringing thread is near naked. F***ers.

suited&booted

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
Matt, Im digging you hanging out in MC lately...

Matt is now ze boss and running with the Fortune 500 top dogs in Nam. Has to dress the part
smile.gif

Season's Greeting mate! See you in Saigon soon and hope your babushka fine.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ok it's shaping up pretty well...as is the norm with him, all is slightly oversized on basted fitting day, but pinned up, I'm pretty happy with it... A few shots my gf took:
matt3k.jpg
Cloth and lining (decided to go with a bright lining this time 'round, so matched it to the pinstripe as best I could). Note the button points chalked in there.
mattz.jpg
Tweakin' the sleeve (was a bit too loose)
matt4.jpg
Front:
matt2l.jpg
Back:
matt1f.jpg
Next fitting it should be basically done, slight tweakage notwithstanding...6 January.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads