• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What music are you listening to lately?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As always, to each their own. Obviously he has a following.
The guy just does nothing for me personally and never has.
I find him almost phony, in fact...my opinion.

Who do you like from a blues perspective?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Who do you like from a blues perspective?
Oh wow. Easier to state who I don't like in a way (not a Bonnamassa or John Mayer fan at all, not much of Winter's or Vaughan's pyrotechnics either, but other than them...).

I grew up in the 60's so of course love all those guys, but Jimmy Reed, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Lightnin' Hopkins, Luther Allison, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Allman/Trucks (including Derek), Clapton, Son House, Bonnie Raitt, Elmore James, Rory Gallagher, John Mayall, Koko Taylor, Sonny Boy Williamson, Etta James, some others (Tinariwen if you count them, Ry Cooder too)...those I listen to all the time.

Some great stuff I've never heard gets posted here often, and I love that too.

Not trying to sound "anti-Bonnamassa". Really, I've tried many times, but his interpretations just doesn't move me. And even more so, live with all that "bluestorted" body language and those shades, I just can't take the Bono of it all! :bored:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh wow. Easier to state who I don't like in a way (not a Bonnamassa or John Mayer fan at all, not much of Winter's or Vaughan's pyrotechnics either, but other than them...).

I grew up in the 60's so of course love all those guys, but Jimmy Reed, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Lightnin' Hopkins, Luther Allison, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Allman/Trucks (including Derek), Clapton, Son House, Bonnie Raitt, Elmore James, Rory Gallagher, John Mayall, Koko Taylor, Sonny Boy Williamson, Etta James, some others (Tinariwen if you count them, Ry Cooder too)...those I listen to all the time.

Some great stuff I've never heard gets posted here often, and I love that too.

Not trying to sound "anti-Bonnamassa". Really, I've tried many times, but his interpretations just doesn't move me. And even more so, live with all that "bluestorted" body language and those shades, I just can't take the Bono of it all! :bored:

I really enjoy Koko Taylor and Luther Allison but I was hoping to see some current artist. Are you a fan of Tab Benoit or Gary Clark Jr.?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the simplicity of this kind of stuff.
An amazing album, I think, that holds up forever.

Great, intimate, super pro band too, including his wife helping him remember the lyrics and sing through the gin.

(Not actually recorded live at Carnegie Hall, but they wanted to re-capture the Hall's "big" concert sound in the studio.)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really enjoy Koko Taylor and Luther Allison but I was hoping to see some current artist. Are you a fan of Tab Benoit or Gary Clark Jr.?
I really like Gary Clark Jr. very much.
I need to listen to Tab Benoit, thanks much for the suggestion!

Quick Luther Allison story:
Some friends of mine and I, on a college summer trip, were in Minneapolis decades ago ago and went to a club (iirc called "The Cabooze") and this guy we had never heard of named Luther Allison was playing. Amazing! So, we went back the next night, for both sets. Standing next to us was this gangly white teen kid in a flannel shirt. Midway through the set, Allison calls the kid (I don't remember his name, call him "Al") up on stage, and tells the kid to jam with them. We were thinking to ourselves, "Who is this kid? He's as young as we are!". The kid, nervous as hell, pulls out a harp from his pocket, and becomes a damned angel, really great. A few songs pass by, and Luther Allison then says to the audience, "Hey, do you all like Al's playing? Well, I sure do! And so, Al doesn't know it yet, but...we're taking him with us on our summer tour of Europe next week."

Wow....

The place exploded with applause; that kid was stunned, and looked like God himself had given him a gift, personally; and from that moment on I remember that as one of the kindest acts, in terms of "making ones day", that I have ever witnessed. It was super, really.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ that is one of the best stories. Made my Day!
Have watched a few Beth & Joe videos. She comes across as performing and not singing. Just tries too hard.
@justridiculous, fantastic pick, enjoyed that!
Watch a lot of the Amoeba Records "What's in my bag" vids.
This is Dave Stewart talking about the blues documentary he made, Talks about it at the beginning and more towards the end.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, it was an amazing, completely unexpected moment. The kid was genuinely stupefied, fighting back the tears. Imagine a moment like that, when you're just 18....

Despos, you're in Chicago iirc?

Lucky you if so; you must have seen some incredible blues over the years.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ moved to chicago, not from here. Don't go to clubs much. Best memory is Muddy Waters in a bar that held 75 people max in Boulder Colorado. Went to two shows.
Chicago jazz, saw Larry Coryell here a few years ago and Miles Davis in the 80's

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my default "I'm too fucked up" song. If this is playing, I should have been in bed a while ago.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like Gary Clark Jr. very much.
I need to listen to Tab Benoit, thanks much for the suggestion!

Quick Luther Allison story:
Some friends of mine and I, on a college summer trip, were in Minneapolis decades ago ago and went to a club (iirc called "The Cabooze") and this guy we had never heard of named Luther Allison was playing. Amazing! So, we went back the next night, for both sets. Standing next to us was this gangly white teen kid in a flannel shirt. Midway through the set, Allison calls the kid (I don't remember his name, call him "Al") up on stage, and tells the kid to jam with them. We were thinking to ourselves, "Who is this kid? He's as young as we are!". The kid, nervous as hell, pulls out a harp from his pocket, and becomes a damned angel, really great. A few songs pass by, and Luther Allison then says to the audience, "Hey, do you all like Al's playing? Well, I sure do! And so, Al doesn't know it yet, but...we're taking him with us on our summer tour of Europe next week."

Wow....

The place exploded with applause; that kid was stunned, and looked like God himself had given him a gift, personally; and from that moment on I remember that as one of the kindest acts, in terms of "making ones day", that I have ever witnessed. It was super, really.

Have watched a few Beth & Joe videos. She comes across as performing and not singing. Just tries too hard.

I guess I have a lot to learn from a music perspective.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ Yes, watch her videos but don't own any of her music. She has an interesting life story. Even if I don't like the song I like her interpretation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics