Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What music are you listening to lately?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Artisan Fan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

Pablo Casal's Three Gamba Sonatas by Bach Trespasser's William's Having Thomas Dybdahl's One Day You'll Dance for Me, New York City

2. A Y

A Y Senior member

Good choices but I would add the Mahler 6th to the list. [​IMG]

The 6th is OK, but I know others who like it quite a bit more than I do. I don't think it captures what he does with it in live performance.

For the 6th, I like Yoel Levi's account with your hometown band on Telarc better. I kept hoping for an SACD multichannel release, but apparently that's not in the cards.

--Andre

3. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

The Atlanta Symphony Orchestra on Telarc is superb. The Jennifer Higdon works are terrific.

4. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

M. Ward - Post War.

Waiting patiently for next week when Jens Lekman and Band of Horses both release their new cds.

5. gdc_2008

gdc_2008 Senior member

A Dischord day....

Nation of Ulysses
    Antelope
    The Evens

since getting a phone call last night that Ian MacKaye was dead - then googling the story to find that he wasn't...best bad news ever.

6. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I heard the new John Fogerty yesterday and it is terrific. Plan to purchase it soon.

7. flylot74

flylot74 Senior member

Handel Violin Sonatas
    Some interesting urhu music.
    Duchin on piano when I'm driving about

8. mr monty

mr monty Senior member

9. jkennett

jkennett Senior member

east coast to west and back to east. currently res
    I'm glad I never heard that rumor about Ian McKaye, as I would have been quite devastated. Anyways, I've been listening to a rather strange mix c.d. I got for free with the new Uncut magazine. It's a mix of songs arranged by Paul Weller, and has an eclectic mix. Little Richard, Midlake, Bob Marley & the Wailers, Dantalian's Chariot, Big Youth, Declan O'Rourke, the Kingstonians, Big Bill Broonzy, The Hold Steady, and a song by Paul himself. Honestly the recording quality is pretty crap, but I put it into my laptop and have been playing it by default. I also listened to a bit more of The Jam, but that's typical for me. Top rotation for me typically includes The Jam, Manics, and The Smiths. Finally, I've been making a sort of more current "punk" mix c.d. for a female friend of mine... trying to slowly get her from whatever their name is...Fall out boy... to something less MTV 13yr. old female fan based. I'm really behind on current punk, but I found a few bands to throw on the mix that I've been listening to more and more. A Wilhelm Scream, Dead to Me, Bayside, and No Use for A Name (which is older but I never listened to before) all are on repeat for the past few days. Oh... and my alternate driving personality has been listening to Sufjan Stevens in an attempt to calm down... it's had mixed results, but mostly has worked in avoiding road rage. Also, Annie Clark from St. Vincent is amazing live if anyone has seen the Texan guitar virtuoso, and hot in a quirky way. Back to the punk rock now...

10. nioh

nioh Senior member

Lateöy I've been listening a lot to these: Bruce Springsteen Magic Stars In Our Bedroom After the War Okkervil River The Stage Names all of 2007, and all highly recommended!

11. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim In Time Out

(Best Of )Toadies - Live From Paradise
    Hum - You'd Prefer An Astronaut
    Nas - It Was Written

12. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Bruuuuce's new one — Magic — is pretty damn good.

13. Kaizen

Kaizen Senior member

Lately, I've been in the mood for some of the old standards. I found a station on iTunes (Martini in the Morning) that plays Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, etc. Since I've started dressing a bit more respectably, the bubblegum pop that is Eurodance just doesn't feel right.

14. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm compelled to play Kanye's album every morning when I wake up (Good Morning... ooo woo ooo woo woo wooo wooooo...). I've been listening to Graduation a lot these days. Also in the last couple of weeks, I've often played the Once soundtrack + Camille (cool french chanteuse) + latest K-Os + Basement Jaxx + the grey album

15. Histrion

Histrion Senior member

I have not been listening to much music recently...

A couple of songs that I find myself listening a lot to recently are:

Simon & Garfunkel - Sound of Silence
    Don McLean - American Pie
    Sidney Bechet - Petite fleur

Otherwise, quite a bit of Aznavour, Reggiani, The Strokes, Coltrane, Elliott Smith, Neutral Milk Hotel and David Bowie.

It is a tad random...