Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What music are you listening to lately?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Artisan Fan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. phildo

phildo Senior member

new flying lotus! [​IMG]

2. nakokoro

nakokoro Well-Known Member

Been listening to Jhameel. Sounds like a mix of Sufjan Stevens, some Imogen Heap, and maybe Death Cab. [​IMG]

3. KnowYourRights

KnowYourRights Senior member

[​IMG]

I wish they'd get back together and tour. Fuckers.

4. tagutcow

tagutcow Senior member

Dum Dum Girls

Another band I saw at a WQFS free concert. Despite the unlikely nature of the event (Why would a Sub Pop-signed act play a BYOB affair in the middle of the ghetto? Did they even get paid?) they totally blew me away.

Beethoven Op. 131 - String Quartet 14. Trying to unravel the mysteries, but thus far I suspect I'm not knowledgeable enough for it.

Manton put you up to this, didn't he?

The first movement opens itself up pretty easily to the ears for a fugue, and the last movement (a sonata allegro that would typically come first) makes references back to the first movement, some more audible than others. How gorgeous is that second subject in the last movement, though?

The variations movement in the middle of the quartet took me years to "get", however.

When I first heard the quartet, the more avant-garde details were the first things I latched onto-- the "wrong" note in the fugue subject (actually a natural note of C#min, it just forms two augmented intervals with the previous notes,) the 9/4 variation in the middle movement, the col legno playing in the scherzo, etc. I'm not sure how much the aura of sphinx-like mystery that's come to surround late Beethoven really helps appreciation of his music. I think it's more that the idea of music as expression both personal and spiritual- taken for granted these days- was pretty novel for art music of Beethoven's generation.

5. mordecai

mordecai Immoderator

Another band I saw at a WQFS free concert. Despite the unlikely nature of the event (Why would a Sub Pop-signed act play a BYOB affair in the middle of the ghetto? Did they even get paid?) they totally blew me away. .
    huh? [​IMG] why would being signed prevent a musician from participating in a community event? most young bands are willing to put their mudsharks down for a second in order to support good radio stations, causes, etc...

6. ROIDTECH

ROIDTECH Member

Tons of post-punk and 80s hardcore for me, lately

7. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Devo, Are We Not Men?

A 1978 classic.

8. scott.m

scott.m Senior member

good call magician, heres mine.

[​IMG]

9. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

[​IMG] He came over for a concert. Excellent pianist.

10. howlingwolfpress

howlingwolfpress Senior member

Rurutia - Selenite
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Angizia - Schaukelkind
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

11. Aaron

Aaron Senior member

12. Jerome

Jerome Senior member

13. grouper

grouper Senior member

stars of the lid . lots of it.