• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What music are you listening to lately?

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
David Bowie - ChangesBowie
Sex Pistols - Nevermind the Bollocks..
Nirvana - in Utero
Queen - A Night at the Opera
Weezer - Maladroit
Oasis - Whats the Story(Morning Glory)
Depeche Mode - 101

I love that compilation. Also got another Rykodisc favorite, The Very Best of Elvis Costello and the Attractions, playing these days.

Reaction score
mathematics presents wu tang returns

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Order -- Broken Promise, from the album Brotherhood.

b

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DBoon
FearTheRecord.jpg

!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
New York's Alright if You Like Saxophones, I Don't Care About You, Beef Baloney...
worship.gif

I had a friend who was a page at SNL and got us in for the dress rehersal (1980?) w/ Fear as musical guest. They brought in about 50 punks (to pogo and dance around the stage) who got a little over zealous w/ the spitting and moshing - a pissed Lorne Michaels stopped the band after two songs and announced that they had just destroyed $10,000 worth of lighting equipment.

That night I watched the tube in anticipation - I think they got half way through the first song w/ people flying off the stage when the picture went black....

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by shoreman1782
You were there? Isn't that the episode with the story that the punks included Ian Mackaye/DC kids?

I don't know who the punk kids were, but they looked the part and were definitley into it....

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Compilation of the music used in seasons one and two of californication (courtesy of some guy on demonoid)

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome.

Here's a clip--it pops up on youtube every once in awhile but alwasy gets taken down.

http://www.videosift.com/video/FEAR-...ic-Performance

Found an interview with Mackaye talking about it. There's a clip of John Joseph talking about it on youtube as well. Who knows what's 100% true (besides romafan!).

Originally Posted by mackaye
Ian: I was contacted by Lorne Michaels, the producer of Saturday Night Live, and John Belushi and asked to put together a crew of people to come dance at the Fear appearance on the show. Belushi had been asked to make a cameo appearance on the show, and he agreed on the condition that one of his favorite bands, FEAR, would be invited to be the musical guest. He then insisted that the band should have some punk rockers on the premises to add some "authentic" flavor. He got my number from Penelope Spheeris, who directed "Decline of the Western Civilization" as well as "Suburbia," after she told him that the D.C. scene was the "happening" scene on the east coast.

Anyway, they called and we agreed to come up to the show. As it turned out our good friends from Ohio, The Necros, were playing with the Misfits in NYC the night before the SNL show (Halloween '81), so we invited them along as well as numerous New York punks (I'm fairly sure that Harley Flanagan from the Cro-Mags was there). The actual experience was really disorienting. We were kept in a room until they were ready to have us appear, at which point we were led down through the backstage area and on to the set. The band would come out and we would all have to immediately jump into action. It was cold on the set and completely sterile, the music was quiet, and the people sitting in the crowd absolutely hated us. This was okay, beacause we hated them too, and we had chips on our shoulders.

During the dress rehearsal (the show is run through twice, once as a dress rehearsal, and then the actual "live" show), a camera was accidentally knocked over and there was some damage, but the producers decided to let us come on the actual show. This was probably in some part due to Belushi pressuring them to let it go forward. The actual show was as weird as the dress rehearsal, though I think we were no longer interested in trying to keep things cool. As I remember there were even small skirmishes breaking out between audience members and dancers, and there was some headknocking going on between the punks themselves. Keep in mind there there was quite a bit of territorial friction going on in those early years. At some point during the show one of the D.C. punks, Billy Mackensie, jumped up on stage and grabbed a jacko'lantern pumpkin that the show had been using as it's commercial break transition shot. He hoisted it over his head and smashed it on the front of the stage in front of the band. We all started slipping and sliding on the pumpkin mush until the song was over. As it turned out the producers had cut away from the show the moment Billy appeared with the pumpkin, so no one ever saw the rest of the mess.

When we left the room we were booed by the audience. We were locked into another room and told that we were going to be facing charges in connection to the "damage" done. Eventually, they let us go and in the days following the media picked up on the story. Before long, the story had blown into us "rioting on the set" and causing $100,000 worth of damage. It was, of course, not true, but SNL got some coverage out of the deal.

You can see the dude with the pumpkin walking onstage at the end of that clip.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Awesome.

Here's a clip--it pops up on youtube every once in awhile but alwasy gets taken down.

http://www.videosift.com/video/FEAR-...ic-Performance

Found an interview with Mackaye talking about it. There's a clip of John Joseph talking about it on youtube as well. Who knows what's 100% true (besides romafan!).

You can see the dude with the pumpkin walking onstage at the end of that clip.

Yes - it was Halloween! I didn't realize they made it to their third song....

DBoon

Reaction score
Actually, Belushi had negotiated for Black Flag and Fear to play on SNL.

While Black Flag was recording Damaged.

After they thoroughly trashed the place during the Fear show, Black Flag was cancelled.

SystemShock

Reaction score
Awesome. Here's a clip--it pops up on youtube every once in awhile but alwasy gets taken down. http://www.videosift.com/video/FEAR-...ic-Performance Found an interview with Mackaye talking about it. There's a clip of John Joseph talking about it on youtube as well. Who knows what's 100% true (besides romafan!). You can see the dude with the pumpkin walking onstage at the end of that clip.
That's awesome. Love it.
lol8[1].gif
And it also points out one of the annoying things about SNL, back in the day ('70s, early '80s)- they sorta kinda pretended to be cool and out there and counter-culture (remember George Carlin getting everyone riled up and phoning in to NBC to complain about him?), but when push comes to shove, they were actually pretty corporate and mainstream, especially Lorne Michaels. I'm sure punkers doing what punkers do totally freaked them the f*** out. SNL should've seen it coming, but they were too square. Nowadays, there's no longer even the pretense of SNL going against the mainstream. The show was steadily losing viewers, had been for a long time, no one really cared about SNL anymore. Then Tina Fey came along and threw them a lifeline with her brilliant Sarah Palin impersonations, but that's a temporary thing. SNL lost its' edge a very long time ago, and I doubt they'll ever get it back with Michaels in charge. Their long, slow slide into irrelevancy will continue, unless Obama or the Republicans give them a steady stream of great new material (and even then only if SNL has the balls and talent to truly exploit it- we tend to forget that, aside from Amy Poehler's Hillary Clinton- and Poehler's not on the show anymore- SNL's political takes have been pretty weak when Tina Fey isn't visiting). ---

DBoon

Reaction score
It has a lot more to do with "not broadcasting funny material" than being mainstream

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm listening to the current (89.3 in minneapolis, http://minnesota.publicradio.org/rad...s/the_current/ everywhere else). Hop on their web stream now and catch the second half of their best 89 songs of 08 countdown. They are a station run by minnesota public radio, specializing in current music with a lot of local/less known stuff (no top-40 ****) instead of the usual public radio fare. I listen to it all the time streaming online to find new music since I can't seem to find as good of a station anywhere else. The top 89 should be good, the DJ's picks I have seen posted for albums match up pretty well with the albums people here were choosing as best of the year.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads