• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What muscles does the push-up work?

Toronto34

Reaction score
Pushups work every muscle in the body to some degree.

variations will help target different muscle groups in different degrees.

If I were to choose only one exercise it would be the pushup.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
I tried doing Burpees and Pike push-ups the other day. Loved the Pike, my lats are sore two days later, and I see these as a great alternative to pull-ups when no bar is available. I like Burpees too, but have to develop the coordination and muscle memory to do them properly without going in slow motion. Question: Will it help to "learn" the two main parts, the pushing up and bringing my legs forward, then the jump squat, separately, as two distinct exercises, them combine them? Both are pretty new motions for me and I don't want to develop improper technique and hurt myself.

Scrumhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
I tried doing Burpees and Pike push-ups the other day. Loved the Pike, my lats are sore two days later, and I see these as a great alternative to pull-ups when no bar is available. I like Burpees too, but have to develop the coordination and muscle memory to do them properly without going in slow motion. Question: Will it help to "learn" the two main parts, the pushing up and bringing my legs forward, then the jump squat, separately, as two distinct exercises, them combine them? Both are pretty new motions for me and I don't want to develop improper technique and hurt myself.

You can do that, I suppose. But how difficult are these two moves anyway? I mean, just do them slowly until you get the rhythm. These aren't some complicated gymnastic moves, after all.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
You can do that, I suppose. But how difficult are these two moves anyway? I mean, just do them slowly until you get the rhythm. These aren't some complicated gymnastic moves, after all.

The hardest part for me is springing forward and having my feet land toes-forward as opposed to rolled outwards. It takes me a second to reposition them, and by that point it's no longer one fluid motion. I also honestly need to bring my ability to do an entire set of jump squats up to pace with my ability to do a set of push-ups.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can do way more pushups and burpees when I don't incorporate both at once.

I know, there is a debate raging on still as to whether by definition burpees include a pushup or not, but I don't include the pushup.

Without including the pushup, I can complete a tabata interval of burpees.

Then the next day I'd be on to my 100 pushups/20 pullups workout.

willpower

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should one wait a day between doing pushups?

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
If you're doing them to failure to get stronger, sure. If you're doing them to get exercise, don't worry about it.

captmomo

Reaction score
When I just started working out, I felt them mostly in my chest and arms.
But nowadays, I feel them mainly in my lats and middle back. Weird eh.

And, push-ups can be done daily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads