• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Someone recommend an unbeatable streaming show I haven’t heard of...otherwise you can all expect an incisive Action Jackson review in the coming days.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rome, Deadwood and of course Band of Brothers, all on HBO.

For something less epic, Mindhunter on Netflix is pretty good.

Naturally, you should still review Action Jackson.

Edit: I just realised you said 'haven't heard of' - that seems unlikely with these, I guess.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It’s tough, as I’ve had a good chunk of the summer off. But actually, Deadwood fits the bill! Perfect, actually, as I’m heavy into Amazon’s Bosch right now. Apparently, the lead had a (hopefully substantial) role on Deadwood as well). I’ve heard odd things, like every profanity-laced line is written in iambic pentameter?

Recently, we enjoyed Mindhunters a lot (thought season two was a little slower to start, but very good overall) and thought Glow Season 3(?) was surprisingly underwhelming.

Bosch is surprisingly OK. The lead is always really good in bit parts from other shows, so I was glad to see him headlining. (I didn’t know he’d been on Deadwood till I just looked it up). Plus — and this might be a long shot — if you’re grandfather is into Michael Connelly, then it has that grandfather feel. (I figure it’s possible a lot of grandfathers are into Michael Connelly, so worth mentioning :lol: )

The OA on Netflix was great! It’s from Brit Marling, the independent filmmaker who made Another Earth, The Sound of My Voice, and The East. If you’ve seen any of those, the show has that distinctly Brit Marling feel, but with a lot of room to breathe, which was so nice.

These guys need to make more shows. I hear Disney’s about to come out with a bunch.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s tough, as I’ve had a good chunk of the summer off. But actually, Deadwood fits the bill! Perfect, actually, as I’m heavy into Amazon’s Bosch right now. Apparently, the lead had a (hopefully substantial) role on Deadwood as well). I’ve heard odd things, like every profanity-laced line is written in iambic pentameter?

Not everything is written iambic pentameter, but it does show up. The writing definitely has a Shakespearean quality, which really helped transporting me to the setting (even though it might be totally unfitting for the time and place). And yes, it's gloriously profanity laced, mostly due to Ian McShane's Al Swearangen, one of TV's greatest characters (this is the first time I've written out his name - I never noticed the Swear in his name before, very clever Mr Milch. He's a historical figure, but still).

The writing in Deadwood is one of it's biggest draws - the way David Milch introduces Timothy Olyphant's Seth Bullock in the first scene is brilliant (I showed it to my dad who writes for TV and who I remember liking Milch's Hill Street Blues, in the early 80s). The prose can be a bit dense though, it wasn't until I got the DVD box and could turn on subs (in English), that I could 100% follow it and appreciate it fully.

Titus Welliver's character isn't the most prominent one, but he does show up in more than half the episodes.

Don't expect any great feeling of closure, as it got cancelled after three seasons, but the time invested is definitely worth it; along with the two other HBO series mentioned above, it's the one that I've watched the most times.

The recently released TV movie didn't neatly wrap everything up either, but I don't think it had to. Instead, it presented a rather satisfying glimpse into the world of these characters, a decade later.

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
If you enjoy Deadwood, and haven’t yet, watch Justified next. It’s practically a sequel although they are not actually connected.

Right around when I watched Deadwood I saw a copy of the actual Deadwood newspaper from the 1890s up for auction and there was an ad for Bullock’s hardware . I thought that was pretty cool.

Edit: similar to this one.

F88DA585-1370-4A10-8D05-2787BFD37DE0.png

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It's fun to see these reminders that the characters were based on real people.

And thanks for the Justified recommendation. I did catch the first episode some years back, which didn't grab me at the time, but I just checked and it's on HBO here - and I like Olyphant enough that I feel like giving it another shot (I wish he had had a bigger role in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ).

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just watched 12 Monkeys tonight. Very good movie. I’ve usually shied from it because I didn’t like the visual style, but I was sold after a few minutes.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mary Queen of Scots. At the end when they showed Queen Elizabeth with the white makeup and red wig, all I could think of was Pennywise from It.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bill Burr just pissed off a lot of people with his new special. I love it

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bill Burr just pissed off a lot of people with his new special. I love it

What did he make the joke about walking into a Starbucks trying to buy a "normal coffee?"

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What did he make the joke about walking into a Starbucks trying to buy a "normal coffee?"

Michelle Obama​
White privilege, specifically white women​
Rough sex in the "Me Tew" age​

and that was just the beginning. I predict even more faux outrage than Chappelle's latest standup

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I seem to be on a roll this week. Great find while digging around amazon prime. The orgy scene seemed familiar though I'm pretty certain I've never seen the film before - maybe another film riffed off it?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh...Bill Burr.

Edit — watching now. Is funny. :p

Deadwood is good

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads