• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
*googling*
I'll save you the time.
4.8/10 IMDb (why were only 5.2/10 correct?)
11% Rotten Mehs (why were only 89% correct?)
A complete Smith family affair, a nepotistic disaster.
Junior is truly atrocious.
One hit (and this ain't it) "wonder" M. Night not giving a damn.

But, don't take it from me, take it from Variety:
"Will Smith Calls ‘After Earth’ the ‘Most Painful Failure’ of His Career"

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, don't take it from me, take it from Variety:
"Will Smith Calls ‘After Earth’ the ‘Most Painful Failure’ of His Career"
Yeah, but didn't he mean "failure" as in "it really wasn't successful at the box office", as opposed to "I've never made a worse movie in my life and remember, I was in both Wild, Wild West and The Legend Of Bagger Vance"?

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, but didn't he mean "failure" as in "it really wasn't successful at the box office", as opposed to "I've never made a worse movie in my life and remember, I was in both Wild, Wild West and The Legend Of Bagger Vance"?
When it comes to the Will Smith family artistry and their "mehŒuvre complète" I tend to think it's 100% both.
And probably a few other reasons as well.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
F50B9F1B-A784-4E7E-948F-68D2AF954CDE.jpeg

Watched the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night. I can’t even remember the last time I saw it. Excellent film devoid of special effects and name actors, due to pre filming budget cuts. It does feature a cameo by a Sam Peckinpah. The film creeps you out with its story, acting and camera work which browed elements of 20th Century German expressionist film making to give it its edge.

Reviews of the film claimed it was either a reaction against McCarthy and the House Unamerican Committee or an anti red film. Either way its still pretty impressive in terms of both the story and its camera work,

Highly entertaining and B movie cult masterpiece.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1205942
Watched the 1956 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers last night. I can’t even remember the last time I saw it. Excellent film devoid of special effects and name actors, due to pre filming budget cuts. It does feature a cameo by a Sam Peckinpah. The film creeps you out with its story, acting and camera work which browed elements of 20th Century German expressionist film making to give it its edge.

Reviews of the film claimed it was either a reaction against McCarthy and the House Unamerican Committee or an anti red film. Either way its still pretty impressive in terms of both the story and its camera work,

Highly entertaining and B movie cult masterpiece.

Great flick!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
triple-frontier-cast-where-seen-before.jpg

I caught this last night on Netflix.

What happens when 5 special forces guys get together again and try to rob/take down a S American drug lord at his home and split the $$?

Well...one comes up with a plan. He then recruits a helicopter pilot, a planner and 2 others for the job. He also has an inside woman who will help get them in/out.

Longer than your usual movie....I believe it was over 2 hours.

2.5-3/5.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Live Free or Die Hard. A solid but ephemeral actioner that has money and action behind it but little else. A tan but weathered John McLane emerges in a bustling metropolis completely shorn of hair and patience. A daughter with underused talent alights on the film’s opening credits, ensuring her expedient capture in the final act. Justin Long, a computer hacker, appears as the beta male sidekick, chased by a trim and tepid Timothy Olyphant. My big complaint with this one is that it feels entirely rote and unnecessary, and could have been any film other than a Die Hard.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
triple-frontier-cast-where-seen-before.jpg

I caught this last night on Netflix.

What happens when 5 special forces guys get together again and try to rob/take down a S American drug lord at his home and split the $$?

Well...one comes up with a plan. He then recruits a helicopter pilot, a planner and 2 others for the job. He also has an inside woman who will help get them in/out.

Longer than your usual movie....I believe it was over 2 hours.

2.5-3/5.
I watched that when it was new on NF.

I'm with you but am going to harshly knock off another 0.625 for the Affleck-smuggery, general lack of acting chemistry among the bros, and mainly the over-wrought tough-guy/sweet-guy meets hawt Latina romantic sentimental superfluousity.

2.125/5.

PS: to you, ter1413: Broadchurch S1 was indeed fantastic. I am in S2 now...meh. Do not think I will watch S3, at least not for awhile.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Live Free or Die Hard. A solid but ephemeral actioner that has money and action behind it but little else. A tan but weathered John McLane emerges in a bustling metropolis completely shorn of hair and patience. A daughter with underused talent alights on the film’s opening credits, ensuring her expedient capture in the final act. Justin Long, a computer hacker, appears as the beta male sidekick, chased by a trim and tepid Timothy Olyphant. My big complaint with this one is that it feels entirely rote and unnecessary, and could have been any film other than a Die Hard.
Holy moly, that was #4 and there are now 6 (with the upcoming "McClane") in the DH series? :crazy:

Stop the Burning Exploding Plummeting Elevator – I Want to Get Off!

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, forget the miniseries. Movie is effing awesome.

View attachment 1203979

One of the absolute best endings of all time. Up there with Ran and Bicycle Thieves.

I remember watching this with a very special woman (she had no gag reflex whatsoever. God I miss her...) who is no longer in my life (she got married to this old missionary-type dude with deep pockets). We were on the edge of our seats til the very end. And even while the credits were rolling we sat there staring at the screen saying "****! ****! ****! ****! ****!"

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I remember watching this with a very special woman (she had no gag reflex whatsoever. God I miss her...) who is no longer in my life (she got married to this old missionary-type dude with deep pockets). We were on the edge of our seats til the very end. And even while the credits were rolling we sat there staring at the screen saying "****! ****! ****! ****! ****!"

how do you do that blurry thing?

MIssissippi Burning and 2 Fast 2 Furious. I know I'm going to get **** on for this but the F&F franchise, for what they are, are great movies. The stories are tightly controlled, there's a constant source of tension with clear character progression from film to film. Like, they're not comparable to Once Upon a Time in America or anything like that, but they tell a well-told, visually-engrossing story. Another aspect that doesn't get enough love: it's multi-ethnic gender-diverse ensemble cast that was assembled without the intent of smacking it's diversity in your face.

I know I'm in the minority and these films are about printing money but I'd really like the F&F to do more on the underground racing story rather than Hobbs and Shaw even though it's going to be a good buddy-cop film. I know the point is the explosions and SFX and whatnot but like, there does come a point where these cars' abilities do stretch the imagination.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads