• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kubrick is really hit and miss for me. I like Paths of Glory a lot, loathe Clockwork Orange and am fairly ambivalent about most of his other work except for Barry Lyndon, which might just be my favourite film of all time.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kubrick is areally hit and miss for me. I like Paths of Glory a lot, loathe Clockwork Orange and am fairly ambivalent about most of his other work except for Barry Lyndon, which might just be my favourite film of all time.

A Clockwork Orange Chellovek its a bezoomny filmdrome

Frist R rated film I saw when I was 15, when you had to 18 in Australia. Read the book, still have a copy, had the soundtrack and have the DVD not something I viddy often. It had a very interesting and distubingh impact on proles in the youth culture of Australia when it was released in 1973.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're not alone; I can't stand 2001 either.

I enjoy it in a visceral level but just don’t get it on an intellectual level. (I mean, I understand it, but it is pretentious.) But a lot of the FX are laughably dated now. Without the soundtrack the movie would be nothing.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw the title- and credit-free non-explosion original release in 1979. It was mind blowing.

At the time people were either fans of Apocalypse Now or The Deer Hunter. Rarely both. I was definitely on the AN side and it took me years to appreciate what a masterpiece the Cimino's film is.

lefty
Man you had a great 55th birthday party!

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need to watch Ken Burns’ Vietnam. Have to coordinate with my wife since she wants to watch it, and we haven’t finished Civil War yet.

Apparently despite what Vietnam says, the former Viet Cong had already been interviewed for a book about 15 years earlier that was translated into English. And, granted the reviews were from conservative writers, it doesn't actually tread new ground from that book.

So it is a good telling of the Vietnam War but it's not the groundbreaking story it claims to be.

This movie still leaves me thinking “WTF?” Every time I watch it I catch something new and wonder if it’s intentional symbolism or if I’m just being a pretentious twat.

Yes. That's definitely the point of the movie. The obelisk intentionally keeps prevents suture (what's the proper verb form here? @lefty?) with the audience. I kept haranguing my film-school professors about that specifically and they were like yeah i have no answer.

But a lot of the FX are laughably dated now.

Was I discussing this with you in the Star Wars threak? They FX there are pretty dated but I dont think it matters in the context of a well-made film. Yes you say these are just a product of their time but you can still appreciate the technical challenge of the final flight scene, for example. And it still creates a beautiful picture. Even now, the Starchild is gorgeous (if people still made original live-action films it'd be gladly accepted by a filmmaker today)>

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently despite what Vietnam says, the former Viet Cong had already been interviewed for a book about 15 years earlier that was translated into English. And, granted the reviews were from conservative writers, it doesn't actually tread new ground from that book.

So it is a good telling of the Vietnam War but it's not the groundbreaking story it claims to be.

Yes. That's definitely the point of the movie. The obelisk intentionally keeps prevents suture (what's the proper verb form here? @lefty?) with the audience. I kept haranguing my film-school professors about that specifically and they were like yeah i have no answer.

Was I discussing this with you in the Star Wars threak? They FX there are pretty dated but I dont think it matters in the context of a well-made film. Yes you say these are just a product of their time but you can still appreciate the technical challenge of the final flight scene, for example. And it still creates a beautiful picture. Even now, the Starchild is gorgeous (if people still made original live-action films it'd be gladly accepted by a filmmaker today)>

That wasn’t me. I agree there. The effects and sets obviously influenced the entire sci fi genre. But a few moments are jarring. (A few shots of the apes and the shuttle craft sequence in particular. The star gate sequence also feels very dated, maybe because it goes on so long.)

I guess we’re spoiled by (good) CGI.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having seen 2001 on its initial release I've always felt like the stargate sequence was an artistic device to relate public curiosity surrounding the psychedelic drug experience to the movies message vis a vis the rock and roll light show. It was 1968

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
7c383c2e9f7887a880f9fc1b5951b529.jpg

Surprisingly I’ve never seen this, and knew nothing about it but the obvious. It’s a little over the top. (I think it’s trying to have a tall tale vibe, but treated realistically.) It’s best not to think too hard about it and let the schmaltz wash over you.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve started showing this to my two and a half year old son, and he loves it, which makes me extremely happy because I consider it one of the top twenty movies of all time.

C7298701-29F5-4CAA-AF0A-EDBEA4C1DD15.jpeg

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kubrick is really hit and miss for me. I like Paths of Glory a lot, loathe Clockwork Orange and am fairly ambivalent about most of his other work except for Barry Lyndon, which might just be my favourite film of all time.

All that I have seen so far are pretty much hit for me, in fact I enjoyed Barry Lyndon the least when I watched it. But the movie was so beautifully shot and unorthodox and more importantly I keep returning to it in my thoughts- so it left its mark on me. I love clockwork orange my top10 movie no doubt. Besides the absurdity and really graphic violence it also finds time to ridicule leftwing and rightwing notions of serving justice and treating criminals and some consideration on free will without giving any simple recipes.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve started showing this to my two and a half year old son, and he loves it, which makes me extremely happy because I consider it one of the top twenty movies of all time.

Babe is a great movie - and it's directed by the same person that did "Mad Max", too.

I almost cry every time the farmer looks down at Babe after he's herded the sheep in the competition, nods and says, "That'll do, pig. That'll do."

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I've never seen Babe, but now I know where that quote came from in Archer, so thanks.

I love 2001. I liked it before I had any idea what was going on, just for its mood and cinematography (and I think the visual effects hold up very well), and I liked it after finally getting around to reading about what it's all about. I like Barry Lyndon too, which I saw for the first time recently.

In preparation for a trip to the eternal city tomorrow morning, I just re-watched Ridley Scott's oscar winning documentary from 2000, with Russell Crowe and Joaquin Phoenix as guides. Will not say I was not entertained.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Babe is such a great children’s film. My son would watch it incessantly as a two year old. Triva an actor friend of mine voiced the rooster. JM is correct about the line “That l’ll do pig. That l’ll do”

Ps it’s also interesting the number of young children I knew of who wouldn’t eat pork after seeing the movie or bursting into tears going “I’m not eating Babe”

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads