• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
View attachment 1734217

First viewing - I found it to be super compelling, with an especially tight last hour. I'm interested in reading more about some of the conversation around the movie's historical accuracy, but as constructed it's incredibly tense and well done. One of the best Chastain performances I've seen, as someone who often considers her to be miscast or overrated.

^
Love that flick!

You catch JC in Miss Sloane? Also worth a watch.

Ace_Face

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really enjoyed the Velvet Underground doc on AppleTV. The Beastie Boys one felt more like an overly long TED talk.

Apple_TV_The_Velvet_Underground_key_art_sh_cr.jpg.small_2x.jpg

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haven't seen Miss Sloane. For some reason I thought that and Molly's Game were the same movie.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm not really into industry tell-alls via autobio but i'm pretty fascinated by brian cox and i might check out his book

Oswald Cornelius

Reaction score
I re-watched The Great Beauty last night before I watch Hand of God tonight. If you haven't seen the former, I can't recommend it highly enough.

Such a great film. I'm hoping there's an extended release director's cut Blu-Ray some day. I watched the extras on the disc--and there were several others on YouTube for a while--that really flesh out the plot--such as it is--and make it much more coherent; not that it's incoherent; just sayin'. And speaking of fleshing out: Sabrina Ferilli--words fail.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1642777149308.png

an ode to a place-and-time much like Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. skip this one if you're a plot guy.

i enjoy movies like this and think they are better seen in the theater. really doesn't work unless you dedicate your full attention to it.

it probably won't be anyone's favorite PT Anderson movie, but i don't think he'd expect it to be.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MV5BYzc3NGU3NzItZjA4NS00OTdkLTk0MWQtN2FmZjQyZTkwMTQyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDMzNDc4Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Kelsey G and Julia S play heart doctors/surgeons looking for a transplant cure that will change the world. They work at the same hospital and are also down-low lovers.

They both serve on the organ donation committee....and when a heart becomes available....they, along with 4 others need to make a decision as to who gets it. They need to decide FAST!

There are 3 candidates: the sleazy(unconscious) son of a rich investor/the overweight fellow who wants to live so that he can care for his family/the single woman who seems content to just live out her life as is.

This flick switches between the past(the committee trying to make that decision) and present day, when the ramifications of that decision are somewhat played out.

I REALLY wanted to like this movie. I liked the premise and the actors did a good job.

It was just too drawn out and didn't seem to be moving at times. I looked up several times and it seemed to always have 40+ minutes left.

Caught this on Netflix.

2.5/5.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1643124389165.png

Caught on HBO. It was pretty entertaining with Matt and Ben looking particularly stupid with their period accurate hairstyles.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1743212

Caught on HBO. It was pretty entertaining with Matt and Ben looking particularly stupid with their period accurate hairstyles.

Watched it recently as well.

Overall "Thumbs Up"

Regarding the hairstyles, I liked them. Not liked them for a modern hairstyle, but liked that they embraced at least moderately historically accurate hair, vice Robin Hood, where they just copied Russel Crow's hairstyle from Gladiator. For me it made it feel more authentic YMMV.

Costumes, and other production design is top notch.

Some good performances, and I enjoyed the nuance of the Medieval legal system. I really liked how everyone is the hero in their own version of the story. (Rashomon effect)

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw The Conversation , by the end i had a bunch of problems with it but it was very watchable

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched it recently as well.

Overall "Thumbs Up"

Regarding the hairstyles, I liked them. Not liked them for a modern hairstyle, but liked that they embraced at least moderately historically accurate hair, vice Robin Hood, where they just copied Russel Crow's hairstyle from Gladiator. For me it made it feel more authentic YMMV.

Costumes, and other production design is top notch.

Some good performances, and I enjoyed the nuance of the Medieval legal system. I really liked how everyone is the hero in their own version of the story. (Rashomon effect)
Agree on all accounts. It would be really dumb if they used modern haircuts for something that was period accurate. This really added to the overall feel of the movie.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
And yes, of course I watched Ice Cream Man being hosted by these two (Diana Prince is my Twitter friend now)

maxresdefault.jpg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A592E78C-708C-4959-8FB5-2CEF4EFEF04E.jpeg

Been years since I saw this. Sam Riely was brilliant in his portrayal of Ian Curtis the B&W film was perfectly suited to the story. Great direction, excellent band, tragic outcome, then New Order.

Started a four night binge on Daniel Craigs Bond films last night not even going to consider No Time to Die.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics