• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Do you need to see Midsommar if you’ve seen The Wicker Man? Because it really looks like The Wicker Man for people who haven’t seen The Wicker Man…

They're very different films that have similar story arcs.

The Wicker Man explores ideas about colonialism and modernity.

Midsommar is about a bad breakup.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new Tremors movie looks great visually, but falls flat. Zero character development other than exposition dialog, so it's almost impossible to give a **** about any of them. They are all one dimension caricatures, interchangeable with robot dogs or talking dinosaurs.

Making movies has to be incredibly difficult, but it seems like they could have dumped 5 minutes of people telling Paul he's "the one" (seriously, say it once and move on, we get it) and do a few scenes with mystery girl growing up in **** conditions or Paul as a child ******* up or his parents acting like humans or something. Also, Duncan Idaho is the dumbest ******* name, like something out of a Patrick Swazy movie about bouncers.

In sum, watch the Kevin Bacon original. It's much better.
Wtf! You actually watched the other Tremors movie other than the first one? That's like watching the other Leprechaun or Candyman movies after the original.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wtf! You actually watched the other Tremors movie other than the first one? That's like watching the other Leprechaun or Candyman movies after the original.

I watched it dozens of times as a kid.

Tremors_official_theatrical_poster (1).jpg

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen Tremors 2. It was just as good as you would expect.

Pretty sure Bear was talking about that arthouse remake that's in the theaters right now, though. You know, the one with Timmy Chicklet, or whatever his name is.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen Tremors 2. It was just as good as you would expect.

Pretty sure Bear was talking about that arthouse remake that's in the theaters right now, though. You know, the one with Timmy Chicklet, or whatever his name is.

Yes, the one with Aquaman.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sucks for him, since they're in a desert. No dolphins to talk to.

But his name is Duncan Idaho, and in a shocking turn of events was able to live with the local tribes people for weeks by besting their best warrior sent to kill him (that was as fine a warrior as any warrior in the IMPERIAL(TM) army).

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought The One stuff was interesting as it was presented somewhat ambiguously, leaning toward *No, of course not, that’s stupid…” — much more like the book.

It was campy and badass in Lynch’s version, though.

Also just noticed the Sardoku (or whatever) weren’t disguised as Harkonnen, were they?

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He just knew how to lace his boots properly, without ever being told!

I thought the book was crap, but honestly wanted to like the movie. Once they failed to develop a single character beyond these people are good and noble and these people are bad I started fixating on the dumb ****. I accept that almost every single movie has plot holes or dumb inconsistencies. If the characters are good, funny or entertaining the dumb **** isn't a distraction for me.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you need to see Midsommar if you’ve seen The Wicker Man? Because it really looks like The Wicker Man for people who haven’t seen The Wicker Man…
I haven't seen it, but below are some opposing viewpoints to help make up your mind:

Despite his often grating deliverance and over reliance on fart jokes (which makes him too easy to dismiss if you disagree with him), I find that I more often than not agree with him on the state on modern cinema.

- but: He may have been wrong on this one:

First video I've seen from her (tip:turn up the speed to x1.5), but she seems to make a decent argument.

I watched it dozens of times as a kid.

1634828024984.png
From a time when even small flicks like this could be much better put together than they seemingly had any rights to be.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no idea wtf you're talking about.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I slept through my one post-covid movie (Bond) and I'm now considering watching Dune this weekend. I'll try not to have a bender the night before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads