• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
For Halloween themed horror - Horror Express 1972
Christopher Lee
Cushing
Telly Savalas
I believe it”a on YouTube in its inimitable entirety

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any suggestions for horror movies to watch ahead of Halloween?

-Amityville Horror
-Dawn of the Dead(2004) was not bad.
-Eden Lake(Kelly Reilly!)
-Rosemary's Baby
-Misery
-Open Water

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thinking some more about horror movies (which I admittedly don't watch a lot of), this one came to mind:

IIRC, this is the film I've gotten the most physical reaction from, with my gut tightening up increasingly over the run time. And (again, IIRC) it had this effect from using a building sense of dread over a reliance of jump scares (though it may not seem so from the trailer). Watching it at the cinema properly played a big part in its effectiveness.

Like The Ring before it, this was a remake of a Japanse movie, but this one made by its original director, Takashi Shimuzi (and nearly identical to his orignal).

Apparently, a second remake was released last year.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and Raimi's Drag Me To Hell might actually be a perfect All Hallows' Eve movie:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
A couple of my favorite spookfests:

Letscarejessica.jpg

tumblr_mcromgcYOs1r584q4o1_r2_1280.jpg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyway, the more I think about it, the less I like this movie. A lot of missed opportunity for character development.
There were issues with the character development of Rami's villain but overall I still enjoyed it. I would watch it again in theaters but the run time plus previews puts this at over a 3 hour commitment. That's hard for me to do.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost all the trailers were also really bad, which doesn't help at all. If a theaters gonna make me watch 25 minutes of trailers they better be good ones, goddammit.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Tales From the Darkside, the one with Christian Slater and Steve Buscemi in the mummy story is a good funny/scary horror anthology

Hell yes! Having Debbie Harry and Rae Dawn Chong is a bonus too

Usonian

Reaction score
Let the Right One In was very good . swedish , from 2008 .

they remade it with chloe grace moretz but i haven't seen that version .
+10000000 on this one, this movie is ******* EXQUISITE. one of my favorite movies period, it is excellent.

Also, would throw in midsommar and the wailing as two randoms i really enjoyed.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
+10000000 on this one, this movie is ******* EXQUISITE. one of my favorite movies period, it is excellent.

On my bookshelf:
20211020_164315.jpg

20211020_164321.jpg

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let the Right One In was very good . swedish , from 2008 .

they remade it with chloe grace moretz but i haven't seen that version .

Another vote for the original Let The Right One In, so good.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Midsommar and The Wailing were both good. I feel like they’re not traditional horror, but I enjoyed both. Kind of how Parasite was marketed as horror

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Do you need to see Midsommar if you’ve seen The Wicker Man? Because it really looks like The Wicker Man for people who haven’t seen The Wicker Man…

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new Tremors movie looks great visually, but falls flat. Zero character development other than exposition dialog, so it's almost impossible to give a **** about any of them. They are all one dimension caricatures, interchangeable with robot dogs or talking dinosaurs.

Making movies has to be incredibly difficult, but it seems like they could have dumped 5 minutes of people telling Paul he's "the one" (seriously, say it once and move on, we get it) and do a few scenes with mystery girl growing up in **** conditions or Paul as a child ******* up or his parents acting like humans or something. Also, Duncan Idaho is the dumbest ******* name, like something out of a Patrick Swazy movie about bouncers.

In sum, watch the Kevin Bacon original. It's much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads