• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for horror movies to watch ahead of Halloween? I try to catch a few every run up to the big day. I don't mind campy but I prefer truly freaky films - I've seen the classics like Omen, Exorcist, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, so hope to come across something new or obscure. Indie is good too.
I own this, and it rules.

1634692994338.png

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, who saw DUNE?
I did, earlier today. Was just looking for a nice poster to go with some thoughts. Weirdly, this was the best to be found:

1634693536166.png

So, thoughts. I was trying to not have too high hopes for this. Read the book not too long ago and recently rewatched Lynch's '84 version. I felt this started out well enough, enjoyed most of the casting, set and production designs, the (maybe slightly too loud at places) soundtrack (especially the otherworldly choir bits), and I was enjoying the somewhat considerate pacing.

But. With the flyover of the city on Arrakis, showing everything being a monotone sandy grey, the lack of colour started to bug me. I at first tried to dismiss this, trying to appreciate it like you might a black and white movie, looking for interest in shapes and contrast instead (and this works pretty well for some parts, especially the hulking spaceships), but in the second half of the film the lack of not just any real colour, but also the fact that the last half seems to be mostly shot in the dark, made it both unpleasant and annoying to watch - I was hoping for a glimpse of light, some colour and some blue sky, which never came.

Which is even more weird considering the next few seconds here, where Denis praises the colours and look of the (much better looking) Lawrence of Arabia. (Clip starts at the time he mentions this)

And it's not just the lack of light or colour, everything (especially in the last half) looks like it's filmed through gauze with a ton of dust swirling around.

Aesthetics aside, the film itself takes a bit of a dive in the latter half, and the way it cuts up the story makes the ending a bit anti climatic.

Lynch's Dune was more fun.

Still, this was of course better than Blade Runner 2049 (though it obviously doesn't look as good).

edit: fixed the link to start the video at the right time

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any suggestions for horror movies to watch ahead of Halloween?

Might not be halloween'y, but I quite like this:

1634695553050.png

Along with The Shining, this might even be my favourite King adaptation.

Also, Darabont is a clever man who understands that Deckard obviously isn't a replicant ?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I did, earlier today. Was just looking for a nice poster to go with some thoughts. Weirdly, this was the best to be found:

View attachment 1688756

So, thoughts. I was trying to not have too high hopes for this. Read the book not too long ago and recently rewatched Lynch's '84 version. I felt this started out well enough, enjoyed most of the casting, set and production designs, the (maybe slightly too loud at places) soundtrack (especially the otherworldly choir bits), and I was enjoying the somewhat considerate pacing.

But. With the flyover of the city on Arrakis, showing everything being a monotone sandy grey, the lack of colour started to bug me. I at first tried to dismiss this, trying to appreciate it like you might a black and white movie, looking for interest in shapes and contrast instead (and this works pretty well for some parts, especially the hulking spaceships), but in the second half of the film the lack of not just any real colour, but also the fact that the last half seems to be mostly shot in the dark, made it both unpleasant and annoying to watch - I was hoping for a glimpse of light, some colour and some blue sky, which never came.

Which is even more weird considering the next few seconds here, where Denis praises the colours and look of the (much better looking) Lawrence of Arabia. (Clip starts at the time he mentions this)

And it's not just the lack of light or colour, everything (especially in the last half) looks like it's filmed through gauze with a ton of dust swirling around.

Aesthetics aside, the film itself takes a bit of a dive in the latter half, and the way it cuts up the story makes the ending a bit anti climatic.

Lynch's Dune was more fun.
Still, this was of course better than Blade Runner 2049 (though it obviously doesn't look as good).

Oh, that’s interesting. Watching on a laptop, I couldn’t tell what was too dark; I thought it was just a remarkably supple-looking film — doubly impressive as it all must have been just a bunch of cgi slung about a green screen. I definitely need to see it in the theater.

Also, did I dream this? The only other thing that bugged me was the omission of key dialogue, no doubt to put some distance between this and Lynch’s film. But that dialogue seemed grounding and important. The first one was a mess, but it was endlessly quotable. You might not have known who exactly everyone was, but you knew what they wanted. Had I not read the book, I think this one would be more confusing than the first.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tales From the Darkside, the one with Christian Slater and Steve Buscemi in the mummy story is a good funny/scary horror anthology

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Saw the new Bond. It was passable.

#1 complaint is that Ana de Armas did not get enough screentime.

Rami Malek was kind of a weak millennial villain.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TBH, it is *extremely* unclear how old Rami Malek's character is supposed to be in the movie. 30? 50? Who knows???

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Might not be halloween'y, but I quite like this:

View attachment 1688772

Along with The Shining, this might even be my favourite King adaptation.

Also, Darabont is a clever man who understands that Deckard obviously isn't a replicant ?

I have the audio book of The Mist, which is done like a radio play with a large cast, sound effects, etc. It was recorded in the late '80s from a script by Dennis Etchison.

Listening to it after seeing the movie gives a weird sense of deja vu. The creepy religious lady sounds EXACTLY like Marcia Gay Harden, and quite a bit of it is almost word for word the same as the film.

It keeps the original ending, though. Other than that the Darabont film is basically the audio book on film - with no credit given to Etchison.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let the Right One In was very good . swedish , from 2008 .

they remade it with chloe grace moretz but i haven't seen that version .

Brain_on_Fire.jpg

Check her in this ^. I caught it a few years ago and it was a very solid flick!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
EDIT — Chloe Moretz was flat-out amazing in Let Me In. Probably her best.

Haven't seen that...but she was VERY good in Brain on Fire.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any suggestions for horror movies to watch ahead of Halloween? I try to catch a few every run up to the big day. I don't mind campy but I prefer truly freaky films - I've seen the classics like Omen, Exorcist, Friday the 13th, Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street, so hope to come across something new or obscure. Indie is good too.

Blair Witch?
Original Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
TBH, it is *extremely* unclear how old Rami Malek's character is supposed to be in the movie. 30? 50? Who knows???
Yeah I didn't understand that, either.

The only way his age makes sense is if he was a teenager in the opening flashback. I think they painted themselves into a corner with some of the casting choices, and had to massage the timeline to try to make it work.

Anyway, the more I think about it, the less I like this movie. A lot of missed opportunity for character development.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads