• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Not sure where this impulse came from but woke up with a desire to rewatch Moneyball. Skipped through anything that involved "backstory" (yeah yeah you're a failed baseballer with a guitar playing daughter) but still really enjoy that movie.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Going to pop in this popcorn classic tonight, Giant, starring James Deen and Asa Akira.

242683087_10159519871879525_5096468366485797933_n.jpg

accordion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caught up on some backlog recently:

Never Rarely Sometimes Always - Thought this was bordering on bad. The lead is too self conscious and can't really act. The director's worldview is that NYC is full of perverts, their rustbelt hometown is full of perverts, and basically every dude is a pervert and teenage girls can't relate to the world in any other way than be sexually exploited. The only kind and honest people are the Plant Parenthood workers of course. Way too cynical and artless for me. The film's also more or less an inferior remake of 4 Months 3 Weeks 2 Days. I feel bad about the pro-life review bombs but the movie just isn't that good and critics are hacks for letting politics dominate their judgement.

Pain and Glory - Vintage Almodovar but probably not among his top 5. Gotta love the Iglesias score, the flashbacks, Banderas/Cruz combo. Checks all the boxes and hard to dislike. Doesn't have the genius of Hable Con Ella but quite enjoyable for fans.

L'Avenir/Things to Come - Similar vibe to Assayas's Summer Hours. Seems like nothing important happens but the sum of its parts, mostly short scenes depicting the mundane, and the natural lapse of time that results becomes profound in the end. Huppert doesn't react to situations that would be traumatic for any other character in any other movie. A truly mesmerizing actress. Lots of light in every shot, which, along with the backdrop of the French countryside and the philosophical discussions, produces a certain airiness reminiscent of Hong Sang-soo.

Next up is An Elephant Sitting Still by Hu Bo, only got through an hour of it.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
514SJHESF0L.jpg

Oh. My. God.

This movie is so awesomely terrible.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a pity - it's got a good cast.

I've never even heard of it. I wonder if it got a cinematic release or was straight-to-streaming?

It popped up on HBOGo yesterday and I gave it a shot. I looked this morning and it has a 4% on Rotten Tomatoes and, apparently, a limited release and move to streaming very quickly.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flew from Houston to NYC and back this weekend so I caught a couple of movies on the flights.

Cruella- very enjoyable movie with great costume/fashion design pieces.

Knives Out- also very good with the exception of James Bond doing a Col. Sanders KFC accent.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Flew from Houston to NYC and back this weekend so I caught a couple of movies on the flights.

Knives Out- also very good with the exception of James Bond doing a Col. Sanders KFC accent.

It was still better than VanderB's accent in VarityBs.

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cruella was surprisingly good and one of the better live-action Disney movies. The ones that aren’t a shot-for-shot remake are the best ones.

I think the campy accent in Knives Out was intentional. Craig just got a $100 million for the sequels

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads