• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched Reminisce last night. It was not good. It was an utterly predictable, suspenseless movie that borrowed elements from much better ones. A little Blade Runner, some Chinatown, a lot of every single film noir from the 40s and 50s, mixed in with an illogical setting.

Not a surprise, I guess- Hugh Jackman makes really, really bad movies.

It was awful. The only thing good about it was they didn't have actors ******** with pterodactyls.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jackman has some stinkers but he can deliver when he wants to. I thought Bad Education was pretty good, and he was certainly one of the best parts.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jackman has some stinkers but he can deliver when he wants to. I thought Bad Education was pretty good, and he was certainly one of the best parts.
I think I've said before that he must have the worst agent in Hollywood. He's undeniably talented, but his movies are, almost without exception, terrible. Someone should be finding better projects for him.

I noticed that Hulu has Logan right now. I think I'll watch that to help erase the awfulness of Reminisce.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I've said before that he must have the worst agent in Hollywood. He's undeniably talented, but his movies are, almost without exception, terrible. Someone should be finding better projects for him.

I noticed that Hulu has Logan right now. I think I'll watch that to help erase the awfulness of Reminisce.

He is also great in Prisoners. Overall a solid and very disturbing movie.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He is also great in Prisoners. Overall a solid and very disturbing movie.

It was good, but not responsible, filmmaking. An apologia for torture after the Abu Ghraib fallout felt misguided and tacky.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It was good, but not responsible, filmmaking. An apologia for torture after the Abu Ghraib fallout felt misguided and tacky.

Interesting take but i’m not quite sure I saw it as “an apologia for torture”… in some ways I saw it as the opposite.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting take but i’m not quite sure I saw it as “an apologia for torture”… in some ways I saw it as the opposite.

I was intrigued by the first half, and thought that was the direction it was going — the folly of the square-jawed, all-American man whose suspicion of the scrawny emo outsider led him to unspeakable acts. But no. The big reveal is that the nerdy outsider actually did it, and his grotesque torture saved the day.

Just thought it was a bad take. It reminded me of the west Memphis three.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was intrigued by the first half, and thought that was the direction it was going — the folly of the square-jawed, all-American man whose suspicion of the scrawny emo outsider led him to unspeakable acts. But no. The big reveal is that the nerdy outsider actually did it, and his grotesque torture saved the day.

Just thought it was a bad take. It reminded me of the west Memphis three.

1. It wasn’t as simple as “the nerdy teenager did it”. The teenager was the first victim. His Aunt and deceased uncle were the true source of evil.

2. the torture of the nerdy teenager is not how the girl was found.

Edit:
3. I believe at one point the old lady tells Jackman’s character that their war on God was to abduct children to turn the parent’s into demons, or something like that, which is exactly what happens. When asked what will happen to her husband if he is found, they say he will go to jail.

Last edited:

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11B8534A-2126-4B79-BFBC-BD9481DC3E86.jpeg

Caught this one on Showtime. Honestly my favorite Soderbergh I think. This is probably my the tenth time I’ve seen it, at this point watching it is like visiting old friends or something. Stupid charismatic cast from top to bottom, and the bar scene between JLo and Clooney is one of the sexiest scenes ever.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White Sands . a hayseed sheriff follows the money in this southwestern mix-em-up. willem dafoe leads . also mickey rourke and the beautiful mary elizabeth mastrantonio .

the last third was kind of goofy . in my imagination they shot a way darker more interesting movie but then really soaped up the end result. proabably just wishful thinking . it was ok .

Usonian

Reaction score
Caught this one on Showtime. Honestly my favorite Soderbergh I think. This is probably my the tenth time I’ve seen it, at this point watching it is like visiting old friends or something. Stupid charismatic cast from top to bottom, and the bar scene between JLo and Clooney is one of the sexiest scenes ever.

Also, the soundtrack to this movie is just incredible, holy ****.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Midnight_Run.jpg

DeNiro plays a small time bounty hunter looking to make a living catching some bad guy bail jumpers. Grodin plays a mob accountant who stole millions and is on the run.

DeNiro's bail bondsman contact tasks him with finding and bringing Grodin in before the deadline when he will lose the $ he put up for his bond.

What could go wrong? Well, the mob is also after Grodin as are the feds. Throw in a rival bounty hunter looking to make a score, and you get a solid "comedy" that takes the main duo from NYC to Vegas!

This has it all. Some comedy. Grodin's deadpan humor. DeNiro going through a range of emotions. Throw in a solid cast of characters...lead FBI agent/bail bondsman/mob figures/etc and you have a 2 hour watch that you won't regret.

I had not seen this in MANY years. I forget how good it is.

4/5.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
^ yeah that's a fun one. One of my wife's favorites.

Get Shorty is a sort of spiritual sequel.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads