• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3896573C-85DF-4D3C-9431-C002EA648BC2.png

Super cute. Some pretty silly and childish jokes, but heart-felt and strikes a good balance between being super silly and having a warm message. Sony’s animation style is nothing if not opulent: explosive color, with a combination of incredible water color detailing in some spots combined with outlandish detailing elsewhere, the animators here clearly prioritize creative expression over “realism”. The use of mixed media and freeze frames is super cool - action and conversation is consistently overlaid with little animated flourishes that last a split second but add incredible depth to the film. I also thought it had a pretty nuanced portrayal of technology in modern life, which I think a lot of movies struggle to get right. Would watch with kids. Its nowhere near as great as Spiderverse, but it’s still really good.

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^Agreed. Lord/Miller are doing really good work at Sony Animation.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm excited to see it too - tbh the premise doesn't seem *that* compelling to me, but Taylor Sheridan has written some of my favorites from the past decade (Hell or High Water especially, love that movie so much) so I'll give it a go.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He wasn't in the Army he was in the Marines.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure if I believe that but okay...

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I stand corrected then.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FE76DE44-7641-486E-B839-34149C38FCC6.jpeg

I’d never seen this and HBOMax had an introduction for the film with Steve McQueen that was really good as a part of the Classic Movie festival over the weekend (others included: Reiner introducing Misery, Scorsese with
Goodfellas, and Kopple with Harlan County USA.)

I didn’t know what to expect but this was really good. It concerns the final days of IRA member Bobby Sands as he goes on hunger strike in the Maze Prison in the 1980s and ultimately dies. Right off the bat McQueen has such a command of the camera with an eye for small details and shot composition. The film is largely absent of dialogue, with the exception of a great 25 minute conversation in the middle of the movie. Really harrowing in its brutality and unflinching portrayal of prison violence. I’m not aching to watch it again but I’m glad I watched it.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1608592
Super cute. Some pretty silly and childish jokes, but heart-felt and strikes a good balance between being super silly and having a warm message. Sony’s animation style is nothing if not opulent: explosive color, with a combination of incredible water color detailing in some spots combined with outlandish detailing elsewhere, the animators here clearly prioritize creative expression over “realism”. The use of mixed media and freeze frames is super cool - action and conversation is consistently overlaid with little animated flourishes that last a split second but add incredible depth to the film. I also thought it had a pretty nuanced portrayal of technology in modern life, which I think a lot of movies struggle to get right. Would watch with kids. Its nowhere near as great as Spiderverse, but it’s still really good.
My daughter’s been wanting to watch this. We enjoyed it. Actually LOL’d a few times. Thanks for the recommendation.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shadow in the Cloud.

Absolutely epic. Chloe Grace Moretz delivers the hero we deserve (need?) in this pulpy gem. 11 of 10.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads