• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tenant reminded me of a funny movie review for Transformers I read years ago where the reviewer said he didn't have any evidence that the script writer was high on mescaline when they wrote it, but he also didn't have any evidence the writer wasn't.
Transformers 2 didn’t even have a script when they began filming. Just winged it.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked Bumblebee.
Same. I've only seen the first Transformers movie, and I'm ashamed to even admit to that, but Bumblebee was not a terrible movie. I'd argue that it even has a decent(ish) script.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thinking about giving Parasite a go tonight.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of glorious films by JJ (no, not that one).

A delightful zombie romp:

1620337499335.png

- Iggy Pop should play a zombie more often.

And languid, melancholic vampires:

1620337445663.png

Jmm722

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A couple of glorious films by JJ (no, not that one).

A delightful zombie romp:

View attachment 1605817

- Iggy Pop should play a zombie more often.

And languid, melancholic vampires:

View attachment 1605816
The Dead Don’t Die had so much potential and some great dry humor, but it was WAY too slow and tried too hard to be quirky. I enjoyed it, but it wasted the potential of a fantastic cast.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Dead Don’t Die had so much potential and some great dry humor, but it was WAY too slow and tried too hard to be quirky. I enjoyed it, but it wasted the potential of a fantastic cast.
I just couldn't get into it. I wanted to so badly. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bunch of random things recently, most on Amazon:

07E191A0-DAA4-4818-A1A4-0805BF3D8AC3.jpeg

Insanely unnerving. Not as good as Kirosawa’s masterpiece Cure imo (which is streaming on Criterion, and absolutely a must-watch for serial killer/procedural lovers) but still worth watching.
D1F72335-64E1-4B02-BC88-17E8AC878CDB.jpeg

the worst thing an action movie can be: boring. A few good sequences but not even close to Sollima’s best work. Watch Zerozerozero instead.
CF906933-5765-45CC-883E-F33F8D22054B.jpeg

I liked this a lot, it really resonated with me in a way I wasn’t expecting it to. Some of the camerawork felt a bit sophomoric (the scanning of handwritten notes, the lit-up eyes) but I think it’s makes sense with the themes and motifs of the movie. the final thirty minutes were incredible and both Ryder’s character and performance had a depth and power that really clicked in the back half of the movie. Day-Lewis was great of course, this reminds me a lot of Phantom Thread where his character is far more stunted, stupid, and immature than his decorum and manner initially suggests. Pfeiffer was the weak link for me.
7D3ECD8A-3D66-4D57-BB4E-6B8DD8B8BE90.jpeg

I mean.............classic.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Friday night at the movies courtesy of Netflix
ADDEAC4D-34B3-493A-893C-6E29E9EEE470.jpeg

1998 Dystopian Noir Sci Fi holds up very well. Excellent cast and direction. Visually owes a lot to Fritz Lang Metropolis and American 40’s,50’s crime cinema.Excellent cast and direction. Trivia had a couple of actor friends with roles as The Strangers who had a reasonable amount of screen time.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bunch of random things recently, most on Amazon:

View attachment 1606137
Insanely unnerving. Not as good as Kirosawa’s masterpiece Cure imo (which is streaming on Criterion, and absolutely a must-watch for serial killer/procedural lovers) but still worth watching.

Really wanted to watch this but was put off by the worthless trailer on Amazon Prime Video.

OIP.xzwryQ3rqRSsYCETTOcr6wHaLH

Decided on this Japanese mob movie. The yakuza kill a detective's partner and he contrives a convoluted plot at revenge by pitting the various yakuza families against each other. One highlight was a murder scene at a baseball batting facility. Not boring but had a very hard time keeping up with developments (especially when reading subtitles). Pretty good and may need to rewatch.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
81u6BnxfpeL._SY445_.jpg

Caught this on Netflix this afternoon.

In a sleepy Kentucky town, people go to work, kids go to school and families go to church. However, there is something haunting the town: the unsolved murders of 10 women over a decade ago.

A teen starts to ask questions and gets help from another teen who lost her mother to the killer.

What they find out leads to a revelation that both of them don't expect.

This was watchable...but nothing special.

2.5/5.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a free month of Amazon Prime and just spent a few hours watching these two movies:

ONLINE-14-720x500.jpg

Palm Springs was surprisingly good and I enjoyed Andy Samberg's character, rather than finding him annoying (unlike Brooklyn Nine-Nine). It was a good twist on the old "Groundhog Day" concept of repeating the same day.

242898R1.jpg

This... wasn't as good.

However, it wasn't awful and, surprisingly, it was actually better than I expected. Sonic's character was well-voiced and had some good moments, and the supporting cast was good, too. Jim Carrey was the perfect choice for Dr Robotnik and was suitably crazy while keeping his more irritating comic tics in check for much of the movie.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I gave up on Tenet after 15 or so minutes, the point I realized it would require my full attention, but probably didn’t warrant it…

I did catch Remainder on the YouTubes(!). A small film based on maybe the best novel of the last ten years, it was…not the novel, but quiet, intriguing, and quietly intriguing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads