• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't bough films in years, but I felt there were a few holes that needed filling, so I recently ordered a stack.

Among them Ladyhawke and that early 80's sci-fi that's like High Noon in space with Sean Connery and looks exactly like it's set in Ridleys '79 Alien universe. And also this one:

1617731355203.png

- giving me a chance to show it to the gf, who hadn't seen it. Together with that other Alistair MacLean based one, they're some of my favourite WW2 movies (along with Raiders and Casablanca).

Last edited:

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Among them Ladyhawke and that early 80's sci-fi that's like High Noon in space with Sean Connery and looks exactly like it's set in Ridleys '79 Alien universe. And also this one:

Outland. Great movie. I saw it in the theater when it was released, just rewatched it recently and felt that it had really held up. Not so sure about the "explosive decompression" effect, but otherwise great stuff.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a couple of really great WWII flicks that i've come across are The Big Red One and a made-for-british-tv affair called Rogue Male (with peter o'toole).

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the disclaimer that I'm hardly a scholar on the topic, from what I have read about the actual trial, I get the impression that the real trial was even more farcical and offensive than what Sorkin put on screen. I also think Sorkin commits a potentially offensive bit of historical revisionism regarding Bobby Seale - he was bound, gagged, and ultimately severed from the trial *before* Fred Hampton was assassinated, yet the movie frames the assassination as the trigger that makes him crack during the trial. It's a pretty daring creative decision to make imo, and not one that reflects well on how Sorkin conceptualizes the character and person of Seale. That said, it is an entertaining watch - just don't think about it too hard.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I felt there were a few holes that needed filling...

Among them Ladyhawke

EFF!

YEAH!

It makes me glad to hear that someone, somewhere, decided there was a Ladyhawke-shaped hole in their life.

So how does it hold up?

I saw it with my dad when I was very young, and loved it. I remember reading in one of those glossy sci-if mags at the time the director said it was a metaphor for the heartache of the modern workplace, where spouses were frequently driven apart by having to work different shifts. That sounded scarier than any wizard.

With the disclaimer that I'm hardly a scholar on the topic, from what I have read about the actual trial, I get the impression that the real trial was even more farcical and offensive than what Sorkin put on screen. I also think Sorkin commits a potentially offensive bit of historical revisionism regarding Bobby Seale - he was bound, gagged, and ultimately severed from the trial *before* Fred Hampton was assassinated, yet the movie frames the assassination as the trigger that makes him crack during the trial. It's a pretty daring creative decision to make imo, and not one that reflects well on how Sorkin conceptualizes the character and person of Seale. That said, it is an entertaining watch - just don't think about it too hard.

Nice. I just realized I know practically zero about the trial going in, but it will be fun to keep that in mind.

I like Sorkin a lot, though mostly his television work. It’s pretty impressive, the quality of writing he’s able to churn out on the fly.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
EFF!

YEAH!

It makes me glad to hear that someone, somewhere, decided there was a Ladyhawke-shaped hole in their life.

So how does it hold up?

I saw it with my dad when I was very young, and loved it. I remember reading in one of those glossy sci-if mags at the time the director said it was a metaphor for the heartache of the modern workplace, where spouses were frequently driven apart by having to work different shifts. That sounded scarier than any wizard.
I haven't seen it yet this time around as I have some others lined up first, but I did watch it not too many years ago (even posted about ITT, along with an awesome Drew Struzan poster), and I felt it held up very nicely. A couple of things that stood out was the somewhat incongruous synth soundtrack by Alan Parsons, the majestic magnificence of Rutger's black Friesian (stills don't do it justice), and of course young MP proves that angels are real.

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking over the stack of movies I just got, three of them have enough in common that it may make for a fun little quiz (or maybe I'm just really bored after a year of mostly lockdown).

Hidden behind a spoiler as a courtesy to those fortunate enough to have more important things to do.

For the rest,

There's likely enough info here to make the titles evident, but without turning to Google or IMDB, how many hints did you need?

1: All 3 films are swashbuckling adventures with historic settings

2: Though unrelated, they were released in the order in which they take place

3: Released over a little more than a decade, more than half a millennium passes between the settings of film 1 and film 3

4: Films 1 and 3 have the same director

5: Films 2 and 3 are based on books by the same author

6: Films 1 and 2 have post credit songs by the same artist

7: All 3 films feature Michael Wincott

8: He looks like this

9: Those songs from films 1 and 2 are power ballads

10: By a Canadian

11: None of these have been accused of being Great Movies

and some individual hints

12: Film 3 also feature Richard Harris. And Henry Cavill

13: Film 2 has Tim Curry

14: Film 1 has Sean Connery

15: The lead of film 3 has also played Jesus Christ. They share initials

16: One of the leads of film 2 has tiger blood and knows a thing or two about winning

17: The lead of film 1 would later sprout gills and go up against Dennis Hopper. He would bring the same director. They share a first name

So, how many hints before you had a good guess? How many before you were certain? Answers on a post card or ITT. If you feel like putting the titles, maybe put them behind a spoiler if you can be bothered.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking over the stack of movies I just got, three of them have enough in common that it may make for a fun little quiz (or maybe I'm just really bored after a year of mostly lockdown).

Oooh! This is great - thanks for this!

Film no.1 clearly stars Kevin Costner (due to the Waterworld and Kevin Reynolds references) and so I guess:

Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves (1991)

Film no.2 stars Charlie Sheen (tiger blood and winning) and given the "swashbuckling" reference, I guess:

The Three Musketeers (1993)

Film no.3 is by the same author as no.2, and stars Richard Harris and so I guess:

The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)

I was initially thrown by the Henry Cavill reference, until I remembered that he played the character of the son of the Count's old friend (who betrayed him).

Thanks again!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Anyone catch this yet? Saw a review online this week and added it to my queue:

Hollywood-Insider-Madame-Claude-Review-Netflix-French-Biopic-1280x720.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I haven't seen it yet this time around as I have some others lined up first, but I did watch it not too many years ago (even posted about ITT, along with an awesome Drew Struzan poster), and I felt it held up very nicely. A couple of things that stood out was the somewhat incongruous synth soundtrack by Alan Parsons, the majestic magnificence of Rutger's black Friesian (stills don't do it justice), and of course young MP proves that angels are real.

:slayer: :slayer: :slayer:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't bough films in years, but I felt there were a few holes that needed filling, so I recently ordered a stack.

View attachment 1588345

- giving me a chance to show it to the gf, who hadn't seen it. Together with that other Alistair MacLean based one, they're some of my favourite WW2 movies (along with Raiders and Casablanca).
One of my favourites is this
FCBB47D6-C30D-4E1F-ACD6-0CE40BC46361.jpeg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oof. I had no idea on the quiz until the clues became easier and easier — then I still wasn’t sure about the middle until I clicked on journeyman’s answer. I assume he’s got it!

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oof. I had no idea on the quiz until the clues became easier and easier — then I still wasn’t sure about the middle until I clicked on journeyman’s answer. I assume he’s got it!
I suspected that if you got a handle on 2 or 3, the Alexandre Dumas connection would give the other away, and similarly for 1 and 2 with the Bryan Adams power ballads, but of course the individual hints were probably needed to get there.

And yes, @Journeyman was perfectly right - thanks for playing, guys :cheers:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 90 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads