• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is the Tinker Tailor BBC miniseries with Alec Guinness available? I recall it being far more highly regarded than the movie.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
In & Of Itself.

That was beyond excellent.

Literally no idea what i watched.
This was excellent.

We actually were reminded of something else, but I’d be hard pressed to describe either.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean...isn't that kind of the point? The Big Short is a Michael Lewis book. It is supposed to tell you *what* is happening in an approachable/entertaining way.

If you know little about the financial crisis, you come away with a rough intuition about what happened.

What the bank in Margin Call actually does is unimportant. It is just a vehicle for the drama and acting.

Fair enough. To the extent the movie is trying to tell me what happened in an entertaining way, it does that sometimes. But it’s a film caught between trying to be a reenactment, a drama, and a PSA. It’s a bit of a mess, and it’s self-righteousness doesn’t do it any favors. If you want a PSA watch Inside Job. If you want a reenactment watch Too Big to Fail. If you want drama watch Margin Call. If you want a self-righteous Steve Carrell in a bad wig distracting you from a great Christian Bale performance, watch the Big Short.

Moneyball is a far better adaptation of a Michael Lewis book. It takes a book about math and baseball and turns it into a exceptional human drama. Hard for me to imagine the Adam McCay version of moneyball being any better than the one that got made. I don’t need Justin Bieber explaining what Bayesian statistics are to me while in a batting cage.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m mortified to know that I’m a type—and particularly that type—but yes.

Haha, sorry, I didn’t mean it in a bad way. I first heard it as an undergrad in relation to The Confusions of Young Torless, thought, Well, that’s peculiar..., and have kept tabs on it ever since. As far as I can tell, it’s yet to go mainstream.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha, sorry, I didn’t mean it in a bad way. I first heard it as an undergrad in relation to The Confusions of Young Torless, thought, Well, that’s peculiar..., and have kept tabs on it ever since. As far as I can tell, it’s yet to go mainstream.
No offense taken! I just never want to be the guy that walks around saying the word différance like it’s in italics. But homosociality is a useful concept that names something we don’t really have another good word for, so a good word to keep tabs on, I think. It would probably add an important dimension to the impoverished ways people talk about relationships between men if it were to go mainstream—although at least half of our media would just think it means “gay“ and condemn the further brainwashing of America’s children by radical academia.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
47AEDB8B-2551-43D4-BBB5-C69DE25BB0CA.png

Caught this in HBO. Captivating biopic about Black Panther leader Fred Hampton and his assassination by the Chicago PD and FBI in the 1960s. I liked it! Kaluya as Hampton is electric and delivers one of the most captivating and charismatic performances of the year. I thought Lakeith Stanfield is just okay, but my problem is more that I think the Bill O’Neil character is poorly written. I found it extremely disorienting to understand his motivation and inner life, and thought some of the information the movie gives you is outright contradictory. Otherwise, great costumes, great supporting cast, and a tragic/enraging story that should be more well-known (I certainly didn’t learn about it in public school.)

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new Netflix move “I Care A Lot” was enjoyable. It’s a black comedy that appears to be divisive with audiences. I enjoyed it despite how ludicrous the premise was.

Just saw this. Typical Netflix movie 6/10 but was not bored. Think it could have been a lot better. For instance, they were a little lazy with the lawyer bit and the doctor's doctored note.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’d think the typical Netflix movie would be a generic teen dramedy. Maybe I need a new algorithm.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Felt like watching something mindless, so I picked this
220px-Cowboys_&_Aliens.jpg

Solid cast, obviously large budget, a premise that had potential, but just not well done. You gotta lean into the crazy with something like this, and they just didn't. It was almost criminally dull.

Followed it up with
MV5BZjFiY2IyMmItNmUwZi00ZGYxLThiZGItMWZiZjE0NGVhNWNmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTY5Nzc4MDY@._V1_.jpg

It's interesting watching movies from the 70s and seeing how much slower and quieter (literally quieter) they are compared to modern movies. And why anyone ever thought caftans were a good idea I'll never understand...

However, Jenny Aguter was super hot, so that alone made it worthwhile.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
However, Jenny Aguter was super hot, so that alone made it worthwhile.

I’m watching the Avengers movies with my wife and she is very confused why I was so excited to see Jenny Agutter.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've started Nomadland twice and both times turned it off after realizing i'm not prepared to watch with intention

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9342D435-525E-488F-A614-07758C0BBE26.jpeg

Sunday evening with Mrs GF. Taunt, disturbing and riveting. Sailing close to the edge with Denzel Washington and Rami Malek in the principal detective roles with Jared Leto breathing life into a post Charles Manson psychopath.

Written and directed by John Lee Hancock. Neo Noir at its edge of the seat best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics