• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched The American. The plot sounds interesting but the movie is boring as ****. Only saving grace is that hot Italian woman that Clooney hooks up with.

I love that movie. Not sure why but it's one of those that I can rewatch again and again. I love the costume design, notably:

The-American_-Thekla-Reuten-wool-dress-full_2010-Focus-Features-LLC.jpg

In terms of hitman apparel, you could do a lot worse than the full zip cardigan and chore jacket.

The-American_-Thekla-Reuten-George-Clooney-forest_2010-Focus-Features-LLC.jpg

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Netflix move “I Care A Lot” was enjoyable. It’s a black comedy that appears to be divisive with audiences. I enjoyed it despite how ludicrous the premise was.

+1

I found the Imp's role surprisingly likeable. Required a lot of the viewer but an entertaining couple of hours.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new Netflix move “I Care A Lot” was enjoyable. It’s a black comedy that appears to be divisive with audiences. I enjoyed it despite how ludicrous the premise was.

I haven't watched it yet, but the premise isn't actually that ludicrous (well, the bit involving revenge by a son who is a criminal might be...) as the basic idea of the story is, unfortunately, based on real life.

There's an absolutely excellent essay in the New Yorker about the situation - "How the Elderly Lose their Rights": https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/10/09/how-the-elderly-lose-their-rights

Here's a news article about just one of the people involved in these guardianship "scams": https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime...-to-serve-up-to-40-years-behind-bars-1565690/

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried to watch Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Whatever for the third time since it hit streaming — tried and failed. People say it’s great, but this just isn’t a movie that lets you check your email or even lean over to tell your dogs to knock it off. It demands your full attention. Worse, it obscures things — sometimes literally — with thick accents and also wigs.

I suppose I’ll try again in a bit.

Adsky Luck

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
recently rewatched 10 for the first time since the late 1980s.
10 is a good movie?

but mainly saw it again for this episode

too funny ahaha

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I tried to watch Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Whatever for the third time since it hit streaming — tried and failed. People say it’s great, but this just isn’t a movie that lets you check your email or even lean over to tell your dogs to knock it off. It demands your full attention. Worse, it obscures things — sometimes literally — with thick accents and also wigs.

I suppose I’ll try again in a bit.
I think it was The Guardian that said either this is a terrible movie or spycraft is too subtle for me to understand.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it was The Guardian that said either this is a terrible movie or spycraft is too subtle for me to understand.

i'd read the book a couple of times before i watched it, le carre really insists on unfolding the plot through character internals in all of his stories that i've read

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Compare it to Margin Call. McKay spends so much time - celebrity cameos, Gosling voiceovers, diagram scribbling - showing us how the financial instruments work and how they led to destruction. Chandor spends almost no time explaining what the bank in Margin Call does - maybe a minute during the boardmeeting - but when Spacey and Irons are confronting each other on the eve of the firesale and Irons yells “THIS IS IT! I am telling you THIS IS IT” at a reluctant Spacey, we know that it’s life or death. It doesn’t matter that the movie hasn’t explained. The drama is in the air and all the characters feel it, and so the audience does too.

I mean...isn't that kind of the point? The Big Short is a Michael Lewis book. It is supposed to tell you *what* is happening in an approachable/entertaining way.

If you know little about the financial crisis, you come away with a rough intuition about what happened.

What the bank in Margin Call actually does is unimportant. It is just a vehicle for the drama and acting.

zenosparadox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'd read the book a couple of times before i watched it, le carre really insists on unfolding the plot through character internals in all of his stories that i've read
Yeah, also the movie isn't so much interested in the spycraft as it is in using spycraft and international espionage as contexts to explore broken homosocial bonds. In that way, it's consistent with the director's previous (excellent) film, Let the Right One In, which is only nominally a horror film. I actually haven't read le Carré's novel, so am uncertain what is the author and what is the director, although A Most Wanted Man seemed interested in similar themes--I know many of the other viewers in the audience when I saw it were disappointed, because the story was actually more interested in disappointment than the payoff most spy films provide--so I'm assuming that a lot of it must be true to the text.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads