• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1605309425888.png

"Cobra, Lando Calrissian and Roy Batty walk into a bar..."

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching Free Solo. I'm not particularly bothered by heights, and I knew he made it, but damn if that wasn't a tense final 20 minutes. Really good movie.

zissou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching Free Solo. I'm not particularly bothered by heights, and I knew he made it, but damn if that wasn't a tense final 20 minutes. Really good movie.
I watched that movie on a plane and my hands were sweating the entire time.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
beast-of-war-cinema-belgian-movie-poster-(1).jpg

Never heard of this movie but came across it on Amazon Prime. It's great.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1200px-Underwater_poster.jpeg

Nice mindless film. Solid in the thrilling category but definitely no scaries which is what I was hoping for. 6/10 so a little better than the weak IMDB rating.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife decided we're going to start watching Christmas movies, so tonight was Jingle Jangle. It's a lot. Like they had a pretty good movie and then said, "Let's crank everything up another 3 or 4 notches." It's basically a two hour sugar rush.

Worth a watch.

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the-hummingbird-project-dvd.jpg

I was on a roll with Netflix picks until I selected this today!

Jesse E(businessman hustler) and cousin Alexander S(geeky brains) both work the trading desk/operations at a financial firm run by Salma H.

They have an idea to run high speed cable from Kansas City to NYC which will allow any firm that they sell it to to have an edge, and make serious bucks. They in turn would make millions granting those firms access.

They resign from Salma's firm and head out on their own, with backing, and attempt to build this dream. Along the way the encounter obstacles: state parks/land owners who are hesitant to grant access/an Amish group who wants no part of the money that is offered them.

Along the way, Salma tries to block what they went around her to do.

This was just under 2 hours. Not sure why! Though I didn't fall asleep(started watching at 4pm), I would say that I have no reason to ever revisit this flick.

1.75/5!
Agree 100%.
The executed film was even far worse than the initial premise, never a good sign.

Hayek has always been "C" level as an actress for me; Eisenberg (so annoying) maybe a "B" at best; Skarsgård Jr also "B" at best, never near his father. They all drop a notch imo for participating in this mindless thing.

What a waste, even of tired tropes and bad clichés.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
chicago-7-scaled.jpg

The setting is 1968 during the Democratic Party Convention in Chicago against the backdrop of the Vietnam war.

Many head there from different parts of the US to protest. No permits are granted, but that doesn't stop several groups including the Students for a Democratic Society led by Eddie Redmayne's character/the Yippies led by Sacha Baron Choen's and Jeremy Strong's characters/etc.....and Bobby Seale(Yahya Abdul-Mateen II) of the Black Panthers from wanting to let their voices be heard.

The local police aren't having it and violent confrontations break out. The seven "ringleaders" are charged with conspiracy and brought to trial.

Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a reluctant US Attorney who is tasked with prosecuting the case....one he initially doesn't feel can be won. The incompetent judge(Frank Langella) doesn't help the main attorney for the defense(Mark Rylance aka William Kunstler) make his case.

What you get is a riveting 2 hour movie about injustice, political ideas, and in the end..."justice"! Very good performances by all!

Well worth a watch! 2 hours flows by.

4.25/5.
Second the "worth a watch", but I think "riveting 4.25/5" is too high, for me.

JG-L was very good, as was most of the cast, esp Rylance, really good. Neither Redmayne nor SBC ever inspire me much; imo ER was as soft as always and SBC took over the film in too much a "look at me I'm being bio-picy here" manner, as he tends to do.

So for me the film overall ended up being far too superficial given the actuality of those events (if one was around then to witness and now remember them). Still, worth the time.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image.jpg

Starting in 1992 and going back to 1981, there have been three brilliant femme fatale flicks(all with 2 words in the title) which really showcased the female lead:

1992 brought us Basic Instinct...1987 brought us Fatal Attraction....and 1981 brought us this gem, Body Heat.

William Hurt plays a small town Florida lawyer who is content to take on so-so clients and bang the local females. During a simmering heat wave, he meets the sultry Kathleen Turner at a local fair. He is smitten. She is married....and scheming!

The sex is wonderful. They fall in "love".

But wait....a femme fatal flick can't be that...without a conniving broad! Kathleen fits that bill! See, her wealthy husband only comes home every weekend, so that gives both her and William enough time to plan and plot to rid themselves of him.

William comes up with the plan....or does he? Kathleen is working behind the scenes! A Fred Astaire wannabe dancer slash prosecutor...played by Ted Danson....starts to suspect his friend(William) after stuff starts to go down.

Will William get out before he gets pulled in? Will Ted figure out what is going down and save his friend. Or will Kathleen outwit them all?

Do watch!

4/5.
This one definitely 4/5. Here's where the "Trial of the Chicago 7" 4.25/5 is more appropriate, imo! ;)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another JGL film I watched on Netflix USA last week. JGL is very good in it. Oliver Stone, well, he does his typical Oliver Stone stuff and takes a compelling story down to too slick as usual, in the directing. I suspect the grit in Snowden's life post-whistle was far more dark and harsh than Stone depicts it as being, and not addressing that seemed like a truly lost opportunity to me, esp with a lead actor of JGL's caliber. Too bad, the story and the life deserved better.

3.0/5.0.

ems.ZW1zLXByZC1hc3NldHMvbW92aWVzLzM3ZTdjNjU2LTRjYWQtNDE2Ni1iZTM3LTMwY2VjN2Q4M2Q3MC53ZWJw

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I very much enjoyed this film. I had never heard of this, had it in my NF queue for months, but never loaded it thinking it was some kind of action movie. I was very pleasantly surprised, as it certainly is not that at all.

It is not quite say "Spotlight" or the ne plus ultra "All The President's Men" etc) but very good. Renner is great, as is the entire cast (some big names drop in for short scenes, like Jeremy Irons did in "Margin Call") and are very effective. The cinematography and pacing is very good. Recommended.

Note: the very end (in the post-titles) is very sad to read.

3.9/5.0.

p10620390_p_v10_aj.jpg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hayek has always been "C" level as an actress for me; Eisenberg (so annoying) maybe a "B" at best; Skarsgård Jr also "B" at best, never near his father. They all drop a notch imo for participating in this mindless thing.

What a waste, even of tired tropes and bad clichés.
C level actress but A+ level body and looks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads