• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apocalypto-poster01.jpg

Apocalypto. an action-chase drama wrapped in an amazingly-rendered panorama of life in the mayan world. terrific, do recommend.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
61I%2B0xLyrWL._SL1200_.jpg

Now I am a boxing FAN! Did a lil' amateur boxing back in the day. I'm all over Tycoon's SF boxing thread.

I have seen Gatti, Ward, Zab, Cotto, Trinidad, Mayorga, Margarito, GGG, etc fight live. I try to make it to just about every big fight at MSG and Atlantic City, NJ...when AC was a fight destination. I watch them all on TV when I can't make it.

But I haven't really watched many boxing flicks. Yeah...saw Rocky 1-3. Saw Ali once(Will Smith). Saw Southpaw(I think) and The Fighter(I know.) I have never seen Raging Bull! Imagine that!

I revisited MDB last night. I had seen it once and also watched parts of it here and there. Last night, I caught 100% of it again.

The absolutely amazing Hilary Swank(Jodie Foster is #1 to me....HS is not far behind) plays a 30-ish "girl" fighter who is looking to convince the also brilliant, Clint Eastwood(he also directed), who owns a local gym, to train her. As I said...he doesn't train "girls!"

Morgan Freeman(yep.....3 of the best doing it in this flick) plays an old school C fighter who works/lives in Clint's gym basically running the place. He spots something in HS's character. Maybe it is the late nights at the gym. Maybe it is the dedication. Maybe it's just that thing!

Clint isn't having it......but gets swayed and starts to train/manage HS. Guess what? She is good! She starts to beat the fighters that Clint didn't think she would at this stage in her career!

She wants a shot at the "title"! After some negotiating, Clint moves her up and she gets her chance!

H Swank was one of the best actresses back then...and is probably still now.
M Freeman often plays the 2nd role...but does it so well.
Mr Eastwood...well.....enough said!

All 3 won Academy awards for this flick:

HS- Best Actress
MF- Best Supporting Actor
CE- Best Pic and best director.

Simply brilliant. It's a boxing flick and also a emotional life flick. Should not be missed.

4.5/5!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a perfect movie in that it achieves what it set out to do, and wouldn't get any better by adding or losing a scene.

Swank boobs would have been a stupid distraction.

Revise your rating, sir.

lefty

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's a perfect movie in that it achieves what it set out to do, and wouldn't get any better by adding or losing a scene.

Swank boobs would have been a stupid distraction.

Revise your rating, sir.

lefty

Nudes was a joke. It was a brilliant flick.

4.5 vs 5? Not sure. Is it the Godfather? Double Indemnity? Nah. I have watched The Godfather & DI MULTIPLE times over the years. MDB? Twice. Good flick...but not something that I HAVE to stop and watch.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's unfair and not helpful to judge it against another film unless you're putting together you desert island top ten list. I described the only criteria that matter above.

You have to justify the .5 hit and it can't be because it's not The Godfather.

lefty

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was the .5 ding for?

lefty
My guess is that ter1413 has a deep, dark secret, which is...

...ter1413 really, really, really hates fedoras, especially on Morgan Freeman.

xrV8P5ViHE73W.gif

Because why else would one ding that movie?
Hell, if anything it's a 5.01/5.00.

So, yeah, just revise the damn rating, ter.... :lookaround:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's unfair and not helpful to judge it against another film unless you're putting together you desert island top ten list. I described the only criteria that matter above.

You have to justify the .5 hit and it can't be because it's not The Godfather.

lefty

No. You described the only criteria that YOU feel matters.

My .5 ding? Ok.....a 5/5 flick to me includes something that I would term "watch-ability." To me, that means that every time that movie comes on, I stop flipping the channel and watch a few minutes, part, the entire movie.

MDB is a very good movie. However, if it came on HBO/SHO/TMC today, I probably would not sit and watch any of it. I have seen it twice(released in 2004) and parts of it maybe 2-3 times. It doesn't have that "watch-ability" factor to me.

CE, HS and MF are 3 of the best. Again, very good all around flick. But 4.5/5 IMO.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is a movie you described as:

Simply brilliant. It's a boxing flick and also a emotional life flick. Should not be missed.

And then followed that with:

Which struck me as odd for a brilliant movie that should not be missed starring, as you state, some of the best talent out there.

You then walked back "brilliant" to "very good". Okay, I guess a very good movie can be rated 4.5/5. Problem solved.

I'm not trying to pick on you. It's just that juxtaposition of "Simply brilliant. It's a boxing flick and also a emotional life flick. Should not be missed" and "4.5/5" struck me as funny.

Now it seems that "watchability" is the icing.

For watchability I would subscribe to the Bo Hodges theory on moviemaking: defy authority, destroy property, and take people’s clothes off.

lefty

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics