• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another film which I really enjoyed was the recent The King's Choice from Norway:

Watch Karl Marcovic's brilliant performance as the German Minister. You might recognize
him from The Counterfeiters (2007) Also, the last time I checked, one of the key characters
portrayed in the film is still alive.

Last edited:

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1594176062534.png

Now streaming on Hulu. I'd never seen this before and thought it was really funny! Big break from how I understand the Pesci persona, having only really seen him in Scorcese movies.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
F5213892-A094-462A-A600-EF8E9EBE58E3.jpeg

#84 SLAM DANCE (1987)

AF78ADBA-F93D-4485-8F8C-21A0BE850D32.jpeg

If you pay attention, you can tell a lot about a movie by its title font. A chunky script, slightly elongated and veering perceptibly into italics means you’re in for a fun, possibly cerebral, thrill ride. A commitment to the lower case signals a disdain for convention. And the more that colors like Sony Walkman yellow or Miami Vice blue factor in, the greater the chance you’re watching a lost 80s gem. This is surely the case with Slam Dance, an under the radar thriller that puts the likable Tom Hulce squarely in the midst of what a lesser poster might call a web of intrigue.

A9533651-E753-4D89-B9FC-AB6D47C87ADA.jpeg

Still riding high on the success of Amadeus, Hulce has enough impish charm left over to get you invested in Drood, a hapless cartoonist who’s taken everything good in his life and fucked it up. This includes a patient ex-wife (Mary Elizabeth Monster Antonio), artistic ambitions, even a friendship with Adam Ant (Adam Ant). But he’s trying.

7D27FA58-6A3C-49E8-AAE2-A23251D43FE6.jpeg

Just as he’s getting a better foothold on adulthood, Drood’s former mistress turns up dead, and someone’s trying to frame him. But who? To find out, Drood embarks on a lazy odyssey through L.A.’s underground club scene, trailed at every turn by blackmailers and shady cops.

C3798CCB-C2B2-460D-B7F2-15CD7358AB7E.jpeg

If it sounds boilerplate, it’s not. Slam Dance was directed by Wayne Wang, a Hollywood underdog who would later skyrocket to fame (or at least respectability) with films like The Joy Luck Club and Smoke. He’s more interested in characters and situations than he is with plot, and gives Hulce ample space to to do his whole Tom Hulce thing. With guys like Harry Dean Stanton and X’s John Doe in supporting roles, there’s also a lot of powerhouse acting hanging out in the margins.

F32A8AA8-F375-4437-96C9-5B9F9049C5A8.jpeg

Nothing fits neatly into the mold of a traditional thriller (something that rankled critics at the time), but that should be easily forgiven by a modern audience eager to soak up fine period details and solid performances by a cast in their prime.

80F706DC-A4DA-4D09-9A62-8958EEA16FC1.jpeg

This was a fun way to spend two hours.

Slam Dance. Hell yeah.

Early Me: 5
Current Me: 8

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
#84 SLAM DANCE (1987)

I don't think I have ever heard of Slam Dance before.

I think that the first Wayne Wang film I ever saw was this one - I remember watching it late at night on our multicultural TV channel, intrigued by the title and the rating.

Interestingly, Wang made it two years after he directed Slam Dance!

ESO6vwRUwAAhqtv.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever heard of Slam Dance before.

I think that the first Wayne Wang film I ever saw was this one - I remember watching it late at night on our multicultural TV channel, intrigued by the title and the rating.

Interestingly, Wang made it two years after he directed Slam Dance!

ESO6vwRUwAAhqtv.jpg

Oh, nice. That looks great. Based on the title, I always thought that was a low rent Troma type film. :laugh:

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
View attachment 1420084 View attachment 1420085

2 Euromovies for a change.

Both great choices for movie buff, Aguirre is a little artistic take on conquistadors and much more than that. Quite powerful movie shot in extraordinary beautiful parts of Peru. Carne Tremula is my favorite Almodovar movie so far, unpredictable, if you've seen 1000 movies or more you might still not guess how this one ends. At least I haven't.
How bout Polish director's movie: "The Double Life of Veronique". One of the most spellbinding, tender and introverted movie I have ever seen. One of the masterpieces of cinema. Give it a try , it is magic.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How bout Polish director's movie: "The Double Life of Veronique". One of the most spellbinding, tender and introverted movie I have ever seen. One of the masterpieces of cinema. Give it a try , it is magic.

I have seen it, I agree it's an excellent movie.

I guess you have seen those but if not try Trois couleurs: Rouge and Trois couleurs: Bleu by the same director.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I have seen it, I agree it's an excellent movie.

I guess you have seen those but if not try Trois couleurs: Rouge and Trois couleurs: Bleu by the same director.
I liked the trilogy, it is excellent, but it is not as strong as The Double Life. I liked his earlier "Soviet" times movies as well.
One of the most entertaining French movies made by an expat is : "Favorites of the Moon"
It is an essence of France all jammed into 1,5 hours.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
One more rec. if I may. IMHO, Best Italian movie of the 1960s "Fists in the pocket".
Complete outlier from an usual Italian milieu of childish, simplistic and highly pretentious movies of that decade.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One more rec. if I may. IMHO, Best Italian movie of the 1960s "Fists in the pocket".
Complete outlier from an usual Italian milieu of childish, simplistic and highly pretentious movies of that decade.

Although I lloved highly pretentious La dolce vita, I'll give this one a shot :laugh:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I've mentioned this before, but my Evidence professor built the entire course around clips from the movie. It's surprisingly informative.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That’s...pretty awesome. I wonder if they had some sort of stellar expert consultant for the script?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads