• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was gonna watch that next, I love Chloe Sevigny

Buy/listen to that soundtrack. It is as good as Carlito's Way soundtrack.

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1593478486405.jpeg

Barcelona might rule them all. Ten times the Eigeman!

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Postcard Murders isn't good. It's about the murder of a girl you don't care about, investigated by her parents that you don't care about, chasing serial killers you don't care about.

It's the problem I have with so many movies, they don't dramatize the characters so it's just boring, rote plot that unfolds in a completely predictable way.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
MV5BMjAxODUwMTE4MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzU4MjY5MDI@._V1_.jpg

I really couldn't believe I missed this flick-2016 release. It tells the story of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Marky Mark is in the lead role as Sergeant Tommy Saunders of the Boston PD. He was having some work issues and one of the last forms of "restitution" he has to do is get into uniform(including yellow "crossing guard" type vest) and help patrol the marathon. He gets assigned to the finish.

No big deal.....this is the oldest marathon in the US and the Boston PD have this down.

Wait.....2 brothers decide to go postal...and chaos erupts! The brothers get away.

Of course, the feds are called in and led by the always solid Kevin Bacon. The Boston PD can either work with them of step back and watch.

It was very interesting to see the middle part of this flick when the authorities try to piece together what happened and then try to track down the perps.

I won't give anything else away outside of saying that the last part is very captivating.

Solid 3.75/5.
(I will probably watch this again over the wknd.)

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will watch "Patriots Day" next, hoping for better than...:

...I do not know why the surfeit of Bahston movies on Netflix USA all of a sudden, but this one, while still OK (and with a really great cast actually, top to bottom) somehow did not seem nearly as interesting the second time around, a few years later.

No new intriguing details or second "folds" in the story jumped out, iow. Every character was very boxed in to their specific role, far too much so. Renner (by far the cast MVP), Postelwhaite, and Hall were the best of the cast. The co-writer, star and director was typically wooden in all three aspects. The dialogue and cinematography never advanced beyond the basic and predictable, and the performance was a physical and emotive repeat of several others of his. Still quite watchable as pure entertainment, but nothing special really, and so on second viewing moving down in the ratings in this genre.

2.95/5.07.

29.+town-poster.jpg

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1593908040155.jpeg

#85 FEAR CITY (1984)

DBF3A4B5-2A72-4359-8491-0DC40C8220E2.jpeg

What do you say about a film where the deepest empathy it can evoke is a bizarre sadness for the moment a stripper dies, realizing she will not be slain by a super villain, but by a karate-obsessed nerd?

Find the answer in Fear City...

It may sound like your strip mall’s finest purveyor of Halloween goods, but the movie really trades in some of the sleaziest tropes of the early 80s. Primarily, *******. And here, the ******* are fantastic. Sparkling and idealized — almost mythical. They spill from neon necklines, bounce in syncopated rhythm, or slice open at the insistence of a scalpel.

A5904DF5-2D47-46C1-BEF9-57E88CB372C3.jpeg

It’s this last one that drives the plot. Lately, a club’s dancers have been turning up more dead than usual, and one of its investors, a mop-haired Tom Berenger, slowly begins to suspect that something is awry. The ******* have alerted him, you see. From his perch in the club’s blue-lit darkness, he watches them. All their wanton peregrinations, their strange orbits across the stage. He believes they convey to him occult meanings in their fleshly semaphore.

CC562BF9-CB43-46BF-A0DE-E0956CB2B665.png

The arrival of a shady cop (Billy Dee Williams) and a sense of impermanence surrounding his favorite ******* (Melanie Griffith) spurs Berenger to action, and he sets out to find the killer.

Despite its retro (some day retrograde) charm, everything feels like Abel Ferrara took a beer commercial and tried to turn it into a horror film. Billy Dee Williams is abrasive, not smooth; Melanie Griffith (a proven talent by then) has few lines and is pretty much reduced to pair of bewbs.

89D10794-404F-418E-9BB1-9F15197ECF55.jpeg

The film’s saving grace is its ethereal color scheme. Somehow bright and colorful but dark and trashy all at once, it really gives you a feeling of being immersed in the best kind of Instagram filter. It’s pretty fun to look at, and maybe best enjoyed in the background as your favorite 80s music plays.

0D91AE0A-3AB0-4BCE-AA76-38A7BB287A2D.png

26CD4316-98BA-4C18-8820-5041260CD42F.jpeg

A34342C6-6645-48F4-AB0C-98BF0CECE2BE.jpeg
DE880376-A80A-42D3-873D-2417748CFD4F.png
60F4D7F2-4E2E-43AD-B9E5-D93539ECA47F.jpeg

Early Me: (“Wait, does Melanie Griffith get naked in this?”)

Current Me: 5

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will watch "Patriots Day" next, hoping for better than...:

...I do not know why the surfeit of Bahston movies on Netflix USA all of a sudden, but this one, while still OK (and with a really great cast actually, top to bottom) somehow did not seem nearly as interesting the second time around, a few years later.

No new intriguing details or second "folds" in the story jumped out, iow. Every character was very boxed in to their specific role, far too much so. Renner (by far the cast MVP), Postelwhaite, and Hall were the best of the cast. The co-writer, star and director was typically wooden in all three aspects. The dialogue and cinematography never advanced beyond the basic and predictable, and the performance was a physical and emotive repeat of several others of his. Still quite watchable as pure entertainment, but nothing special really, and so on second viewing moving down in the ratings in this genre.

2.95/5.07.

29.+town-poster.jpg

Just rewatched this thanks to your review. I found it just as enjoyable as the first time. I will say that I always compare it to Gone, Baby, Gone which it doesn't live up to.

Will keep an eye out for Patriot's Day

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just rewatched this thanks to your review. I found it just as enjoyable as the first time. I will say that I always compare it to Gone, Baby, Gone which it doesn't live up to.

Will keep an eye out for Patriot's Day
Funny, I was talking to my neighbors (late 30's couple, from that area of Boston until very recently) not even 60 minutes ago about "The Town". They agreed a lot with what I had written above actually...OK but not great film, Renner the best actor, Affleck pretty wooden and disappointing...etc.

I thought "Patriot's" Day was similar, but a bit more interesting than "The Town". I am a Mark Wahlberg fan, but this was no "Shooter". The film did have a great revelation (to me) in the scenes describing the enormous scale of the FBI investigation. I mean also physically enormous, requiring staging in a huge warehouse etc. That part was really great.

Decent pacing and development. Wahlberg was solid as always, Bacon was terrific as always. It was OK to good overall, with two big points of detraction, imo, without spoiling:
1) a really cheesy, long, and very unnecessary kind of maudlin interlude speech about "loving one's fellow man" and all that, and
2) enough with the damned baseball player, already!, it is just such a huge clichè at this point. That moment could have been conveyed in a much more interesting and subtle reference, I think.

"Gone, Baby, Gone" is on a completely higher level than either of these. That is really a fantastic film, as is the superb "Mystic River", also based on a novel by Dennis Lehane.

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
Teh MOVIES

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl

This really is a legitimately great franchise.
Nope. Wrong. The POTC franchise is horrendous.

That is the most absurd use of the words "legitimately" and "great" together in the same sentence since some idiot said "'Avatar' is a legitimately great franchise."

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This French heist movie is no reinvention nor is it deep by any means, and it suffers from a couple of odd dead-end plot sidelines which feel superfluous, but it is otherwise briskly paced at 81 minutes, well acted, nicely filmed, entertaining, worth a relaxed watch imo.

3.01/5.00.

AAAABb3z8JRC1I3mudkOMzQHbHZtOgaOEHxttU90hyb-zoIOaA3ZX0y4sBShM4U85hrJojYlpOTYhOw4OfOVPsbB2fPPSXzVL3hOATtq2sbme-S82nt4nbyvSQIpSIb0Ag.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads