• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My kids love Back to the Future and wanted to watch this as a result. Terrible movie.

View attachment 1398545

Bad take! We caught this again not too long ago. I enjoyed screencapping some of the outfits; Fox's early 90s hair was on point; he wins over Supergirl!, gets seduced by the redheaded team owner from Major League! I thought it was a solid watch. (Or was this the one where he's a hotel clerk...I get them confused).

If they're kids, try Teen Wolf or old episodes of Family Ties.

Yes. Did you know there's a Tumblr chronicling the history of Mallory's clothes and haircuts?

Julie Warner coming out of the lake is definitely a high point.

Along with Beastmaster, the only other PG-13 movie with bewbz.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Couple of random movies.

1591213219932.png

Follow up to hls fantastic Blue Ruin.

Hardcore band plays a gig at a skinhead bar in the middle of nowhere and see something they shouldn't. It goes very bad from there. Falls apart a little at the end, but exceptionally shot and composed.

1591213373919.png

A perfect movie in that there isn't a false action, line or performance throughout. I could watch Vincent Gardenia's hands all night.

lefty

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Green Room is a really fun ride. Patrick Stewart turns in a fantastic, unexpected performance as the head neo-nazi. One of my favorite recent thrillers.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
AAAABe6gyx7nKhJ4MzzAn8d9oJT6iwCCwvIrKosI8UwJQLTi4NIt75c8o9DbczGLKewLWSp4CPSOpJZhFpKChOMgFrzd7ODH4xxbX4aLm9FDOrEX5DDzQ368yk4AcYuO.jpg

Caught ^ last night.

A young female cop joins an existing team and is pulled into several cases at once(she gets respect after helping out on a serial killer case at the start of the movie.)

One involves the team lead and the murder of his wife and the subsequent murder of the young man who was identified. She is asked by the higher ups to spy on the team lead and try to come up with evidence that he was responsible for the young man's death.

The 2nd involves the murder of a young lady from a prominent family. Her roommate, boyfriend, etc are all suspects. It isn't what it looks like. Or is it?

At just under 2hrs long. This ran more like a mini-series than a standalone movie. I realized after that there is a followup, Perdita, that I may try to catch over the wknd.

They could have easily broken this up into 45 min eps and added the followup movie on the end.

2/5.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amazon Prime has a new lo-fi sci-fi new movie out called The Vast of Night. It's excellent and fun to watch. The plot takes place over one night, really just a few hours, but does an incredible job dramatizing the characters (I know I beat this drum but it's almost impossible for me to enjoy a movie without it).

Also watched Netflix's The Last Days of American Crime. Lazy and unoriginal. Mildly interesting, but the characters were lazy troupes. When I don't give a **** if the main character dies 45 minutes before the film ends, and I know they won't kill him off, there is no drama. It's set piece after set piece of contrived action that has little coherence. It's a mess. I don't recommend.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amazon Prime has a new lo-fi sci-fi new movie out called The Vast of Night. It's excellent and fun to watch. The plot takes place over one night, really just a few hours, but does an incredible job dramatizing the characters (I know I beat this drum but it's almost impossible for me to enjoy a movie without it).

It takes a few minutes to get into the rhythm of the banter but once the girl sits at the switchboard, it’s riveting.

lefty

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
love-wedding-repeat-1.jpg

Caught this on Netflix just now.

A couple's wedding is overrun with multiple circumstances that attempt to derail it: Past ex's. Infidelity. Roofies. Etc.

The bride's brother attempts to save the day all the while trying to re-connect with the friend of his sis that he met a few years ago.

It attempts to be that goofball comedy that just never did it for me. Olivia Munn, Frieda Pinto and Eleanor Tomlinson could not save this. I kept waiting for it to get funny. It really didn't. I did watch it all the way without stopping. Maybe it was because I was drinking.

Solid 1/5.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ad Astra on HBO last night. Great build up to a terrible ending that just plodded along. Not really worth the 2 hours.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
tbn144.jpg

It really doesn't get any better than these two playing Sherlock Holmes(Rathbone) and Dr Watson(Bruce.)

In this caper, Holmes is hired to accompany the owner(Lady Margaret) of a famous diamond on a train ride from London to Scotland. There are bunch of characters on the train, as well as Inspector Lestrade of Scotland Yard. Some of those characters, excluding the Inspector, may be looking to pocket the diamond.

After Lady Margaret's son is murdered and the diamond stolen, Holmes and Watson must navigate/question the complex personalities who all deny having anything to with the murder/swiping the diamond.

As only Holmes can do, he sees what others don't...and is a step ahead of everyone else.

I love these SH movies. I have a boxed CD set with all of the Rathbone/Bruce movies. These are also widely available on Youtube(that's where I watched this one yesterday.)

4/5.

Last edited:

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also thought Ad Astra was a let down. Teased at a really interesting vision of the future and settled on prioritizing Brad Pitt’s daddy issues. Undeniably beautiful film to look at though.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Just watched this via Netflix Australia:

Enjoyable, if not particularly realistic (then again, who knows?! Maybe this is how the CIA operates!).

Certainly gory in its depictions of the violence perpetrated by Mexican drug cartels.

Watched the sequel recently, it’s eminently forgettable. I’ve already forgotten the entire plot.

A perfect movie in that there isn't a false action, line or performance throughout. I could watch Vincent Gardenia's hands all night.

I love this movie so much. We just caught Olympia Dukakis in this charming little indie:

And a few weeks ago I spotted her tiny part in this classic craziness:

Tanya Roberts featured prominently in my teenage years.

Hell yes.

We finally got around to watching the Hobbit trilogy over the last few days. I’d seen the first one but hadn’t been interested enough to watch the rest until now. All I can say is WTF PETER?!?!?

So much newly invented content, and almost nothing that added to the story. All I could think about was that article about the miracle of timing that led to his Lord of the Rings being a great set of films.

3 Rings out of 5. With a heavy edit there’s a really great film hiding in there.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1591553205201.png

The American is a pretty film (for more reasons than one), but it's too cliched to be a character study and too boring to be a thriller. Predictable "assassin's last job"/"lone wolf falls in love" story that mistakes ennui for depth. Saw the ending coming a mile away. It's the worst parts of a thriller and the worst parts of an art house film in one. Cool poster, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads