• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
3 flicks today:

media%2Fpublicwebassets%2FHangman_VOD_1400x2100_ENG_%7B69c3877f-f3e0-e711-9448-0ad9f5e1f797%7D.jpg

I thought that had seen this before, but it may have been another Pacino movie.

Pacino plays a sorta retired police officer who can't leave the past behind. When a series of murders starts to take place, a past colleague contacts him for help/advice.

As the title states, the killer "hangs" his victims and leaves clues for the next murder. Brittany Snow plays a reporter who gets access to the police force and tags along while Al and his reunited partner(Urban) search for the killer.

To be honest, this was not horrible. It was worth a watch. Pacino isn't Michael Corolone, Serpico, Tony Montana or Carlito...but the movie itself holds itself together until the end. 2.5/5.

MV5BNTkzMzRlYjEtMTQ5Yi00OWY3LWI0NzYtNGQ4ZDkzZTU0M2IwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

Jeez.....who looks better in a dress and heels than Ms. Chastain?

She plays the title role...Molly Bloom...who goes from a "failed" potential olympic skier to running the biggest underground poker game in the USA.

How? Well, she gets a job at an investment firm and a guy there runs a somewhat successful underground game. He asks Molly to help out and she learns the ropes(the game/recruiting/hosting/etc)...and after a dispute, decides to go out on her own.

She uses her knowledge and the funds that she saved to expand. Little does she know that some of the big fishes she has playing in her games are "connected". The Feds come calling.

Not a bad watch. It seems that Ms. Chastain's past flicks all have her narrating in the background(Zero Dark Thirty/Miss Sloane...both of which I really liked.) This was similar.

But damm...she is a pleasure to look at!

3/5.

AAAABYjZ2A6FHDNzRI1nWTkzxadN1mnxOv_ULqmtEPcASc9201KmrkJkzTMMrUKYRWc_wZXmq-tCHSEQotOIa2jZXQEwR4i_Lc_hGVdQiwuKW5XzqctJ7TfjGF8yQ8pQAA.jpg

I was really looking forward to seeing this(and Molly's Game). I was surprised when I checked Netflix today and it was available.

Adam Sandler plays a NYC/diamond district dealer who is in over his head in sports bets. He has several people after him. How does he feel that he can pull himself out of this situation? He gets his hands on an "uncut" opal stone from Africa and is looking to sell it for upwards of a million bucks(easier said than done!)

Kevin Garnett(NBA player) makes an appearance as...Kevin Garnett...and he may be interested in purchasing the rock. Sandler "loans" him the stone while Garnett is in town and than starts the downward spiral vs auctioning it off as planned.

The alluring Julia Fox plays Sandler's mistress. He is married with kids and Fox stands by him when it seems that he has no other way out of this situation.

I was just about to say that everything was tying itself up nicely...when........

Do watch.

I know that there was uproar re Sandler not getting an Academy nomination. I mean....he was born in Brooklyn(NY) and basically played a NY'er. The movie itself was ok. 2hours+. Not sure that the uproar was warranted.

3/5.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
3 flicks today:

media%2Fpublicwebassets%2FHangman_VOD_1400x2100_ENG_%7B69c3877f-f3e0-e711-9448-0ad9f5e1f797%7D.jpg

I thought that had seen this before, but it may have been another Pacino movie.

Pacino plays a sorta retired police officer who can't leave the past behind. When a series of murders starts to take place, a past colleague contacts him for help/advice.

As the title states, the killer "hangs" his victims and leaves clues for the next murder. Brittany Snow plays a reporter who gets access to the police force and tags along while Al and his reunited partner(Urban) search for the killer.

To be honest, this was not horrible. It was worth a watch. Pacino isn't Michael Corolone, Serpico, Tony Montana or Carlito...but the movie itself holds itself together until the end. 2.5/5.

MV5BNTkzMzRlYjEtMTQ5Yi00OWY3LWI0NzYtNGQ4ZDkzZTU0M2IwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxODk2OTU@._V1_.jpg

Jeez.....who looks better in a dress and heels than Ms. Chastain?

She plays the title role...Molly Bloom...who goes from a "failed" potential olympic skier to running the biggest underground poker game in the USA.

How? Well, she gets a job at an investment firm and a guy there runs a somewhat successful underground game. He asks Molly to help out and she learns the ropes(the game/recruiting/hosting/etc)...and after a dispute, decides to go out on her own.

She uses her knowledge and the funds that she saved to expand. Little does she know that some of the big fishes she has playing in her games are "connected". The Feds come calling.

Not a bad watch. It seems that Ms. Chastain's past flicks all have her narrating in the background(Zero Dark Thirty/Miss Sloane...both of which I really liked.) This was similar.

But damm...she is a pleasure to look at!

3/5.

AAAABYjZ2A6FHDNzRI1nWTkzxadN1mnxOv_ULqmtEPcASc9201KmrkJkzTMMrUKYRWc_wZXmq-tCHSEQotOIa2jZXQEwR4i_Lc_hGVdQiwuKW5XzqctJ7TfjGF8yQ8pQAA.jpg

I was really looking forward to seeing this(and Molly's Game). I was surprised when I checked Netflix today and it was available.

Adam Sandler plays a NYC/diamond district dealer who is in over his head in sports bets. He has several people after him. How does he feel that he can pull himself out of this situation? He gets his hands on an "uncut" opal stone from Africa and is looking to sell it for upwards of a million bucks(easier said than done!)

Kevin Garnett(NBA player) makes an appearance as...Kevin Garnett...and he may be interested in purchasing the rock. Sandler "loans" him the stone while Garnett is in town and than starts the downward spiral vs auctioning it off as planned.

The alluring Julia Fox plays Sandler's mistress. He is married with kids and Fox stands by him when it seems that he has no other way out of this situation.

I was just about to say that everything was tying itself up nicely...when........

Do watch.

I know that there was uproar re Sandler not getting an Academy nomination. I mean....he was born in Brooklyn(NY) and basically played a NY'er. The movie itself was ok. 2hours+. Not sure that the uproar was warranted.

3/5.

I'm with you on 2 and 3, don't know if I've seen 1.

Molly's Game just felt like Sorkin being very Sorkin. Watchable, decent character dramatization but not a "joy" to watch, if that makes any sense.

Uncut gems was just a maddening watch, for me. I wanted to slap every single character because every argument could have been resolved in 5 seconds if they just spit out the one goddamn thing that could save us all from 10 minutes of hell-argument where 80% of the words are inaudible. I was so happy when
they shot his ass at the end. It was so painful to watch.

Last edited:

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm with you on 2 and 3, don't know if I've seen 1.

Molly's Game just felt like Sorkin being very Sorkin. Watchable, decent character dramatization but not a "joy" to watch, if that makes any sense.

Uncut gems was just a maddening watch, for me. I wanted to slap every single character because every argument could have been resolved in 5 seconds if they just spit out the one goddamn thing that could save us all from 10 minutes of hell-argument where 80% of the words are inaudible.

(Should have put a spoiler around that last part.)

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hangman didn't try at all, nobody cared. Truly terrible. There is no worse actor than a bored Pacino.

Molly's Game tried way too hard to be "smart" when in reality it was just a lot of superficial conceit. Very middling, a winding road that quickly became far too frivolous, and never really engaging or fun.

Uncut Gems thought it tried just enough. It didn't. Boring, excruciating, tedious. Sandler is not deserving of the hype. He's not a dramatic actor (I think he's bad in all genres), no matter what frosting he wears.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hangman didn't try at all, nobody cared. Truly terrible. There is no worse actor than a bored Pacino.

Molly's Game tried way too hard to be "smart" when in reality it was just a lot of superficial conceit. Very middling, a winding road that quickly became far too frivolous, and never really engaging or fun.

Uncut Gems thought it tried just enough. It didn't. Boring, excruciating, tedious. Sandler is not deserving of the hype. He's not a dramatic actor (I think he's bad in all genres), no matter what frosting he wears.

:eh:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
6F500392-2F08-4B22-ADC6-3379F3ED8035.jpeg

First Man interesting take on the lunar landing and the perils of the space program. Mrs GF commented “everyone has a backstory.” I wonder how much though the loss of his daughter did motivate & inspire Armstrong.

The Gemini and Apollo liftoffs via the sound effects bought home how fragile the capsules were in terms of their technology and construction during launch sequences. Being a space nerd it was the first time I had considered this aspect of the lunar program.

Recomended

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1396353
First Man interesting take on the lunar landing and the perils of the space program. Mrs GF commented “everyone has a backstory.” I wonder how much though the loss of his daughter did motivate & inspire Armstrong.

The Gemini and Apollo liftoffs via the sound effects bought home how fragile the capsules were in terms of their technology and construction during launch sequences. Being a space nerd it was the first time I had considered this aspect of the lunar program.

Recommended

?
I hope this comes to Netflix some day. I would really love to see it. 3 guys travelling ~480,000 miles r/t in that thing smaller than my Honda CR-V....

I just watched the (scrubbed in the last minutes because of weather) launch of SpaceX to the ISS on the NASA channel.

Even though the launch did not occur today, watching the countdown was really interesting...learning about all the latest rocket/engine/capsule technology, re-designed spacesuits/equipment, docking to the ISS, etc. I cannot imagine the adrenaline rise/deflation for an astronaut when they miss lift-off by a matter of minutes; it must be so tough, even if they are 100% brave-face pros about it on camera.

I will watch on Saturday when they try again.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
?
I hope this comes to Netflix some day. I would really love to see it. 3 guys travelling ~480,000 miles r/t in that thing smaller than my Honda CR-V....

I just watched the (scrubbed in the last minutes because of weather) launch of SpaceX to the ISS on the NASA channel.

Even though the launch did not occur today, watching the countdown was really interesting...learning about all the latest rocket/engine/capsule technology, re-designed spacesuits/equipment, docking to the ISS, etc. I cannot imagine the adrenaline rise/deflation for an astronaut when they miss lift-off by a matter of minutes; it must be so tough, even if they are 100% brave-face pros about it on camera.

I will watch on Saturday when they try again.
It’s currently on Netflix

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Lockdown recap -- recent randoms outside the Western genre:

The Deep (1977)
7/10
Treasure-hunting scuba divers get more than they bargained for when they come upon a trove of long-lost medical morphine. I think Treece was black in Benchley's novel, but I read it decades ago, and in any case, Robert Shaw is Robert Shaw. With Nick Nolte, Louis Gossett, Eli Wallach.

My Cousin Vinny (1992)
8.5/10
Hilarious.

The List of Adrian Messenger (1963)
5/10
A mediocre mystery movie wrapped in a deeply dishonest gimmick (Burt Lancaster and Frank Sinatra are among the stars who supposedly make cameo appearances "in disguise" -- but the disguises are actually worn by other uncredited actors. Big brawny Lancaster is supposed to have played a little old woman who protests fox hunting; it's absurd to the point of being either insulting or hilarious, depending on your sense of humour.)

Hackers (1995)
7.5/10
Always fun

Cop Car (2015)
7/10
Good performances from the two kids; as usual these days it goes a little over-the-top in the third act.

Crimson Peak (2015)
3/10
Badly cast, insipid and boring. "The Shape of Water" was also subpar, and criminally overrated. I'm starting to think "Pan's Labyrinth" is Del Toro's only good movie. I haven't seen "The Devil's Backbone," though.

Sullivan's Travels (1941)
8/10
Amusing (well-cast) characters, a fast-paced story and a crackling script. Also the source of the title "O Brother, Where Art Thou?" used much later by the Coen Bros.

Bringing Up Baby (1938)
8/10
Katharine Hepburn and Cary Grant deliver top-notch banter at a breakneck pace

Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)
7.5/10
I don't even like Vaudeville acts very much, but James Cagney is so good it didn't matter. I think he is the most exciting film actor in the history of the medium.

Napoleon Dynamite (2004)
7/10
Is this the definitive "idiosyncratic movie"? I hadn't seen it since it was new on DVD. It is an ageless thing unto itself, and I will probably revisit it in another 15 years.

No Country For Old Men (2007)
10/10
Amazing and riveting from beginning to end.

Once Upon A Time In America
6/10
I have no idea why anyone thought this needed to be more than 4 hours long. The 90-minute childhood flashback is more interesting than any of the adult drama, despite the presence of Robert De Niro, James Woods and Joe Pesci. It drags.

Adam's Rib (1949)
6.5/10
Spencer Tracy and Katharine Hepburn are a treat to watch, but the movie centres on a court case that makes very little sense as depicted here: A woman shot her husband after catching him philandering, but Hepburn defends her on the basis of gender equality, fixated on a "double standard regarding adultery" even though a man who shot his wife for cheating on him would be charged exactly the same way. It feels overtly contrived and even faintly dishonest; surely the writers could have found a more logical and compelling context in which to mount an argument in favour of equality between the sexes.

My Life As A Dog (1985)
8/10
A Swedish coming-of-age story shot through with a fair amount of darkness (misery and cruelty), but it rings true instead of coming off as contrived and histrionic.

The Verdict (1982)
6/10
David Mamet is obviously no fool, but this legal thriller is difficult to take seriously beyond its assured direction by Sidney Lumet and strong performances from Paul Newman, James Mason and Charlotte Rampling. Newman plays the worst lawyer ever (he disobeys his clients' direct wishes and instructions, breaches his fiduciary duty almost ostentatiously), and the outcome of the case is far-fetched to say the very least.

The Saphead (1920)
6/10
Buster Keaton's first feature-length film, it's fairly low on laughs, and he doesn't have any of his signature physical comedy routines; "The Electric House," made two years later, is funnier and more memorable despite a short run-time of just 23 minutes.

All About Eve (1950)
9/10
I started to get worried when the first act didn't suck me in, but after slowly introducing us to the various characters, it picks up and delivers a wealth of drama and conflict. This is one for the ages, and belongs in any Bette Davis collection along with "Dark Victory"; "Now, Voyager"; and "The Private Lives of Elizabath and Essex." What's her next best movie, anyone?

Union Station (1950)
8.5/10
Films noirs rarely disappoint, and this one is above average. A plucky young woman witnesses something suspicious on a train and brings it to the attention of the authorities (personified in William Holden), and they work together to investigate.

Victoria & Abdul (2017)
7.5/10
A quiet, light, pleasant movie for the most part, with good performances (does Judi Dench ever disappoint?). My only petty issue with it is that it doesn't hesitate to criticize or make light of the British, but it walks on eggshells in its treatment of the Indian (Hindu/Muslim) elements: Abdul brings his wife and mother-in-law to England, where they attend court and host guests in full burkas, and other than the Queen sighing to herself that their outfits look "dignified" (which might well be drawn from her actual diaries, but comes off as unnecessarily PC), there is no comment whatsoever except for angry denouncements by British aristocrats whom we are supposed to dismiss as unforgivably racist, even though this all took place 120 years ago.

Side Effects (2013)
6/10
The story comes off as contrived as it is single-minded, veering between fly-on-the-wall authenticity and over-the-top silliness verging on satire. The first act is boring, but eventually the plot expands to reveal a web of dishonesty and manipulation (a bit like "All About Eve," but closer to "Wild Things" in tone and quality) with another court case that's difficult to take seriously. But the third act is a step up, and it ends pretty well.

The Fall of the House of Usher (1960)
6/10
A lot like a Val Lewton movie from two decades earlier, it has more atmosphere than excitement, with a faint sense of unease but little outright adventure or horror to season its drama; it's only 82 minutes long but still feels slow and plodding and doesn't have much to recommend it except an ominous performance by Vincent Price.

Now, who wants to argue?:slapfight:

[Edited in some first names for clarity]
No Country for Old Men is definitely a Western.

Fellowship of the Rijg because of this

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads