• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Big Pun

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You Were Never Really Here.

Really really liked it, thought provoking. Nice to see a non comedy that's only 90 minutes long. Too many movies drag.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Arlington Road is very good. Always try to catch a bit of that when it is on TV.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
(I'm going to leave this here even though it isn't a movie. However, it definitely worth just under 4 hours of your time!)

AAAABUueczrpyw2XptRryp_vpS8m5PoGuqDeh17SCpGl11zDTqtIHTAAHZIcOI7XDGF-s4a0Wgbp163Sdgmhth9wwwbJZO8gij4z7bmQ1AuJqI0ZGBAwqkcm75llG6y4.jpg

Wow! What can I say about this 4 part mini series except that it is the best thing that I have seen on Netflix recently.

A 19 year old Hasidic woman born/living in Williamsburg, Brooklyn(NY) in an arranged marriage, gets up the courage to escape to Berlin. She doesn't feel comfortable in the marriage and wishes to explore her own freedom without all of the "trappings" of the orthodox Satmar community.

The absolutely brilliant Shira Haas plays Esty Shapiro and she brings so much to this role. The series takes you between the past(meeting her intended husband/marriage/first year) and the current(trying to survive in Berlin/meeting new friends/etc) rather well.

This is not a simple escape and live happily ever after show. The husband/mother in law/community/rabbi set out to find Esty and bring her home. The husband and his shady cousin head to Berlin to find her just as Esty is trying to settle in and carve out a life for herself.

This series will make you want to laugh, cry, get angry....and everything in between.

I have been looking for something on Netflix that captures my attention and this was it. I watched the four appr 50 min episodes last night in one sitting. Captivating!

(Do watch "The Making of Unorthodox" after to get a sense of what went into creating this show. It is based on a true story.)

Netflix finally gets it right!
4.5/5!

Nikos

Reaction score
I'm not sure about other countries, but Netflix Australia has been releasing a lot of Studio Ghibli movies over the past couple of months.

We all put our choices into a hat and one of my kids drew out the winning choice for us. My choice won, so we watched this one tonight:

Anime-Posters-Kiki-s-Delivery-Service-Posters-Home-decoration-Wall-Stickers.jpg_q50.jpg

Along with Porco Rosso and Tottoro, this is my favourite Studio Ghibli movie. The animation is exquisite, the story is enjoyable with some drama and pathos, and the characters are believable. It's a wonderful, coming-of-age movie about a young witch going out into the world, facing challenges, and discovering new things about herself, including her strengths.

I just watched Spirited Away and Castle in the Sky with my daughter. I enjoyed both but preferred Spirited Away which was also my first Ghibli film.
Porco Rosso or Totoro are next.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Princess Mononoke used to be my favorite, but all Miyazaki's are good !

With the lockdown, i didn't had the will so far to watch an "intellectual" movie, so i just watched a "classic" Martial Arts movie for the first time...

The Street fighter (Directed by Shigehiro Ozawa, Japan, 1974)

the-street-fighter-movie-poster-1975-1020201426.jpg

The movie is known for its violence (X-rated when it was released). Starring Sonny Chiba, who caricatures Bruce Lee (who had just died). His character, Tsurugi, is a half Japanese - half Chinese mobster, expert in Martial Arts. In Tokyo, a Japanese Yakuza allied with a Chinese Triad propose him to kidnap a rich heiress. Tsurugi declines, and is going to Hong Kong in order to prevent the rich girl. She hires him as her bodyguard, but she is kidnapped. Tsurugi will fight to the death all the mobsters to rescue her...
The movie is nihilist, it reminded me of 70s samurai movies that i like. The action is a bit repetitive, it is violent indeed but not realist so today it's rather funny. The darkness of the characters and of certain scenes are still shocking.
Tarantino is a notorious fan of the movie, and cast Sonny Chiba in Kill Bill.

I quite liked it ! :blush:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ You have a link for where to catch this?

QT also had Christian Slater's character be a fan of Sonny Chiba, in his script for (the totally awesome) True Romance.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fantastic, ******* weird, but fantastic:
View attachment 1363227

1585523657577.gif

I caught that awhile back, trying to fill in some gaps. I agree — weird on so many different levels. Bronson was barely in it, right? Even though he was the protagonist... Male nudity was off the charts...for a movie steeped in homophobia. Just weird all around.

The others I saw were also pretty odd — Death Wish, and particularly Kinjite: Forbidden Subjects. I really like his IMDb quote page, though. He seemed like a really grounded guy who just loved his wife, and walked though his roles for money. Started acting in theater for an easy paycheck, then discovered he had a certain look that would allow him to take easy jobs for a comfortable, low key life with his family. Pretty good plan, if you ask me.

Last edited:

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ I watched half last night, will finish tonight, I haven't seen this movie in about ten years. I wouldn't say Bronson is barely in it, but that the film focuses more on the psycho loner, and I'm also not quite in agreement that the movie is steeped in homophobia. It's a weird one for sure and plenty of nudity abound. I'd give it 8/10

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad I stumbled into this thread finally; running out of movies to procure, but definitely finding some good ideas here. Your reviews are top notch @noob in 89

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
^ You have a link for where to catch this?

QT also had Christian Slater's character be a fan of Sonny Chiba, in his script for (the totally awesome) True Romance.
No link for this one...
But i have a link for that one (also in Tarantino's top 20)

Masteroftfgpost2.jpeg

Good fun...

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finished up the Bronson movie last night, he's definitely the focal point. Kept thinking towards the end, if you're gonna strip nekkid and wear gloves to kill, probably ought to at least wear socks.

I watched Serial Mom (1994) today. I ******* love this movie, been a few years since I've seen it last.

1585610798767.png

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Finished up the Bronson movie last night, he's definitely the focal point. Kept thinking towards the end, if you're gonna strip nekkid and wear gloves to kill, probably ought to at least wear socks.

I watched Serial Mom (1994) today. I ******* love this movie, been a few years since I've seen it last.

View attachment 1363609

This would be a fun follow-up:

parents.jpg

I haven't seen it in a long time, but I watched it numerous times in the late '80s, subjecting unsuspecting friends to it to see how they'd react. It's a brutally dark comedy / satire.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads