• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Yes, some great lines and Brad Pitt did a surprisingly good turn as some sort of Irish gypsy.

I just watched this on a plane:

MV5BM2UwMDVmMDItM2I2Yi00NGZmLTk4ZTUtY2JjNTQ3OGQ5ZjM2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA1OTYzOTUx._V1_.jpg

I enjoyed it. Some nice racing scenes, good chemistry between Matt Damon and Christian Bale.
Saw FvF and Knives Out on flights recently, FvF is fantastic, an all around good movie. Knives Out was too obvious and didn’t ask enough from a talented cast. If you don’t know who the killer is immediately, see a doctor ASAP.

Snatch was my favorite Guy Ritchie film until The Gentleman, like Tarantino with Once Upon A Time In Hollywood, returning to his comfort zone (ok, not exactly the same for Tarrantino) did wonders for his writing and directing.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm not sure what's going on in that post above, but 2001, Blade Runner, Det Sjunde Inseglet and Stalker are all brilliant; some of my favourite movies.
Blade Runner 2049 is a great movie to fall asleep to.

I’ve been trying to watch Stalker for a good 6 months, but I keep falling asleep.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the-occupant-netflix-review.jpg

I caught this last night.

A once successful ad man goes through hard times and he and his family have to downsize. That starts with giving up their very nice apartment.

After another family moves in, he(^ that guy) can't seem to let go. He "stops by" to check out who is now living there. He uses his garage door key to access the complex. He even follows/links up with the new resident(husband) at a drug/alcohol program.

Then he starts to go loco and targets the young daughter and wife who now live in the apartment.

Nothing groundbreaking here. Just a decent watch on a Friday night.

2/5.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about other countries, but Netflix Australia has been releasing a lot of Studio Ghibli movies over the past couple of months.

We all put our choices into a hat and one of my kids drew out the winning choice for us. My choice won, so we watched this one tonight:

Anime-Posters-Kiki-s-Delivery-Service-Posters-Home-decoration-Wall-Stickers.jpg_q50.jpg

Along with Porco Rosso and Tottoro, this is my favourite Studio Ghibli movie. The animation is exquisite, the story is enjoyable with some drama and pathos, and the characters are believable. It's a wonderful, coming-of-age movie about a young witch going out into the world, facing challenges, and discovering new things about herself, including her strengths.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Jumanji (2017) ???

Was a delightful romp that happily exploited a number of video game tropes.

The cast played well together (especially Jack Black's portrayal of a vapid teen girl's mannerisms) and made for a good popcorn flick.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jumanji (2017) ???

Was a delightful romp that happily exploited a number of video game tropes.

The cast played well together (especially Jack Black's portrayal of a vapid teen girl's mannerisms) and made for a good popcorn flick.

The most recent one was fun as well.

Reactions: otc

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked the first one more than I expected, so I'm looking forward to seeing the second. Might happen this weekend.

Reactions: otc

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
After another family moves in...
Then he starts to go loco.

Nice. I realized this might be its own little sub-genre the other day after coming across these back to back. I think Unlawful Entry, with Kurt Russell and Ray Liotta, is still my favorite. Not a former tenant, exactly, but a custodian of the neighborhood, and it exploits all sorts of class anxieties — plus, if you’re feeling juvenile, the title is groundwork for a few good jokes.

1585427942783.jpeg
1585428049513.jpeg

1585428074479.jpeg

Off to find The Occupant...

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ IIRC Pacific Heights was quite fun.

Also IIRC, the password for the security system in Unlawful Entry was Pyramide.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pacific Heights was good.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ IIRC Pacific Heights was quite fun.

Also IIRC, the password for the security system in Unlawful Entry was Pyramide.

It was! Holy ****. As a ~13 year-old, I was really impressed he calculated a seven letter word that fast. That was my password for everything for about twenty years. :lol:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen that movie in 28 years, but I may have used that password once or twice myself ;-)

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Nice. I realized this might be its own little sub-genre the other day after coming across these back to back. I think Unlawful Entry, with Kurt Russell and Ray Liotta, is still my favorite. Not a former tenant, exactly, but a custodian of the neighborhood, and it exploits all sorts of class anxieties — plus, if you’re feeling juvenile, the title is groundwork for a few good jokes.

Off to find The Occupant...

Arlington Road is a fun twist on this concept.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Arlington Road is good.

Dennis Quaid's "scary" faces in scary movies are so relentlessly terrible that entire theaters howl uncontrollably in laughter, and it is not nervous energy.

Sliver, with Sharon Stone (a surefire 2-star drop in any movie), Billy "The Lesser" Baldwin ( another surefire 2-star drop), and Tom Berenger, is another terrible, hack, wooden, snoozy-fest take on the genre. Even Philip Noyce and Joe Eszterhas could not save it.

I have not seen it in years but given the indisputable math above:
1/5.

1585434122199.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads