• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend of mine, an electrician by trade a biker/surfer by inclination, was up on the north shore of Kauai standing in line with a buddy to get coffee. A chatty fellow behind them was trying to engage my friend , a grumpy sort at best much less pre-coffee, in conversation. After they got their coffee and started to move on the chatty fellow sticks his hand out and says " peace" . Well grumpy sort of rolls his eyes and goes " Yeah well whatever peace to you to man" . They get outside he says " Peace, God what an asshole" His buddy breaks up laughing " He didn't say peace stupid . He said Pierce. That was Pierce Brosnan the actor"

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1582930525058.jpeg

#93 INVASION USA (1985)

No one thought it could happen here, says the poster. But what is happening? And where is here?

1582933412909.jpeg

Trying to make sense of this film is impossible. It’s best enjoyed for the visual tondichtung it is: a crazy, almost surrealist mishmash of images, held together by occasional lines of exposition.

1582933501538.jpeg

The basic premise (most seem to agree) is that a Russian terrorist hates America so much, he decides to invade Florida, and only one man — Chuck Norris — can stop him. It’s not the threat of America’s army keeping the Russian’s panties in a bunch, but rather an oddly homoerotic recurring nightmare of a wisecracking Norris. Chuck is super-pissed after the Russian causes the death of his pet armadillo, and will do anything to stop him.

1582933549176.gif

What follows are enticing sequences of violence — cowboy defenestrations, hispanics gunning down a shopping mall, Jeeps vomiting endless silhouettes of men with rifles — as the two brace for the inevitable showdown. This is truly one of those movies that’s so bad, it’s good, and to fully understand how something like this can even exist, you’ll need to see the excellent Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films.

1582933646277.jpeg

Early Me: WTF?
Current Me: WTF?

Last edited:

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Van Veen was it good though? I've heard great things and would like to see it soon.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Early Me: WTF?
Current Me: WTF?

#93 INVASION USA (1985)

No one thought it could happen here, says the poster. But what is happening? And where is here?

View attachment 1346077

Trying to make sense of this film is impossible. It’s best enjoyed for the visual tondichtung it is: a crazy, almost surrealist mishmash of images, held together by occasional lines of exposition.

View attachment 1346078

The basic premise (most seem to agree) is that a Russian terrorist hates America so much, he decides to invade Florida, and only one man — Chuck Norris — can stop him. It’s not the threat of America’s army keeping the Russian’s panties in a bunch, but rather an oddly homoerotic recurring nightmare of a wisecracking Norris. Chuck is super-pissed after the Russian causes the death of his pet armadillo, and will do anything to stop him.

View attachment 1346079

What follows are enticing sequences of violence — cowboy defenestrations, hispanics gunning down a shopping mall, Jeeps vomiting endless silhouettes of men with rifles — as the two brace for the inevitable showdown. This is truly one of those movies that’s so bad, it’s good, and to fully understand how something like this can even exist, you’ll need to see the excellent Electric Boogaloo: The Wild, Untold Story of Cannon Films.

View attachment 1346080

I have never even heard of, let alone ever had the pleasure of watching, your above-referenced and brilliantly reviewed #93 INVASION USA (1985), but, that being now said, as a fellow critic of a certain standing I feel compelled to throw out a preemptive fusillade of the casting director's kind, powered by whatever it is that Chuck Norris is blazing away with up there and based on the "WTF-ness" of your most eloquent summary, just to put aside once and for all any possible current and/or future misinterpretations your post could engender among some readers as well as to fervently underscore that I wholeheartedly agree with beargonefishing (and any others who may agree with him of course) that:
indeed, Chuck Norris is the ONE actor James Cameron would resolutely never* engage for an Avatar role of any sort, if for no other reason than, to quote a long-time acquaintance of Mr. Cameron's (ie: myself), to wit:
"for the completely rational fear among friends, collaborators, and investors that such a mash-up, per the current lingo, while it would undoubtedly be somewhat provocative (given also that Mssr. Norris's favorite wardrobe of denim, denim, and more denim, especially bare-chested and sleeve-less, would obviously completely fit the idyllic and soothing Pandoric Bleu color theme of the entire series (and we did do some color tests**; they screen-tested only mildly well, surprisingly), as Jim put it to me, "well, my dear Elvis, Mssr. Norris's universally recognized filmic body language of 'gentle machismo mixed with spasmodic pectoral flexing conditioned by macho gentility defined by baleful/benevolent bearded sentimental stares' throughout the film would most likely, at the end of the day, simply [Ed: and, aside, to be perfectly honest perhaps even crassly, E.M.] infringe and even cross-message on the 'gentle, harmonious, loving, kind, and almost-all-inclusive bio-diverse ethics and identifiers that are the stock moral basis of the franchise' and also confuse the Na'vi and their Ikrans a bit too much...besides which even I, unlikely as it might seem to many, Elvis mon frère, do in fact have a Scheiße-Limit of sorts!!!" as, again, Jim himself relayed to me outside of Musso's just the other night."​
*however, with at least 4 more Avastallments still on the way, even the least prudent among us would, to coin a Cameronian clichè, "never, but ******* never, even smugly, say 'never'...."

Chuvatar.jpg

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Uzis. He’s blazing away with Uzis! A great way to carbon date a movie.

Commando and The Package, with Gene Hackman, are also on cable this month. Tons of Uzis.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Van Veen was it good though? I've heard great things and would like to see it soon.
It's amazing if you like lame-ass foreign films with 0 explosions.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the-midnight-story-poster-tony-curtis-marisa-pavan-gilbert-roland-picture-id1137196519

Caught this last night on Youtube.

A priest is killed and T Curtis's cop character wants in on the manhunt. The priest was a mentor to him when he was a young boy and he is taking the murder very hard.

He gets a lead and goes to his superiors and they brush it/him aside. He decides to take matters into his own hands.

What follows? Friendship. Old school Italian family values. Love.
What happens? Watch and see.

2.75/5.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the-midnight-story-poster-tony-curtis-marisa-pavan-gilbert-roland-picture-id1137196519

Caught this last night on Youtube.

A priest is killed and T Curtis's cop character wants in on the manhunt. The priest was a mentor to him when he was a young boy and he is taking the murder very hard.

He gets a lead and goes to his superiors and they brush it/him aside. He decides to take matters into his own hands.

What follows? Friendship. Old school Italian family values. Love.
What happens? Watch and see.

2.75/5.
Fishermans Wharf is actually recognizable in that poster:)

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seriously, it's an amazing film. There are a number of thematic layers that work well. My only complaint is that it can be a bit heavy-handed with them at times. I'm still trying to process everything and having trouble writing a real review.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I don't know if you saw that, last friday evening, at the start of the video Adèle Haenel (who plays in "Portrait of a lady on fire") is leaving the César Academy Awards saying "It's a shame" just after Polanski was given the best director of the year award (he didn't come). Adèle is soon followed by Céline Sciamma (the Director of "Portrait...") and other people from the industry.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched this for the first time in about 25 years:

91CPFzA7QnL._SY550_.jpg

So many memories:
- Schwing!
- Yeah - and monkeys might fly out of my butt.
- ... NOT!
- My sphincter says what?
... and many, many more.

Plus, of course, the Bohemian Rhapsody scene in the Mirthmobile and Rob Lowe trying to walk after having a body cavity search. Puerile and immature, perhaps, but also clever and amusing.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1583109993506.jpeg

#92: BOYZ N THE HOOD (1991)

The other day, I met this high school freshman rocking a Boyz N The Hood T-shirt. There was a hard look about him, all thousand mile stares and tattoos ringing his hands, hair shorn to stubble. But he softened when I asked him about his shirt. “I’ve never seen it,” he said, slightly embarrassed. “Parents won’t let me. But I want to!”

“Ask them again,” I said. “Maybe it’s time.”

Two days later, he caught me in the hall. “Yo, Mr. Noob.” He was gripping my arm. “I just want you to know...”

“Yes?”

“You’ve still got one brother left.”

“Ricky?”

“Ricky!!!”

“Damn, Tre!”

“Riiiiiickeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Haha. Can an N-word get a fist bump?”

“Air bump.”

“What?”

“Germs.”

“Word. Germs.”

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
91Mq84h1dQL._SL1500_.jpg

Don't know how this earned a 7.1 on IMDB as I found it kind of campy - surprising it was made by Brian de Palma. Anyway it was definitely still watchable.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
91Mq84h1dQL._SL1500_.jpg

Don't know how this earned a 7.1 on IMDB as I found it kind of campy - surprising it was made by Brian de Palma. Anyway it was definitely still watchable.
I've seen this movie (called "Pulsions" here) when it was released (a shocker then, i was young) and several time since. A great De Palma, under visible Hitchcok's influence. And Angie Dickinson still very sexy.

I've re-watched this yesterday

ButchCassidyandtheSundanceKid-PosterArt.jpg

Even better than i remembered it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads