• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bc490d8beabf91741e2c4f595f852517.jpg

I caught this sometime last week.

Mr Chan basically plays Liam Neeson in Taken, Taken 2 & Taken 3.

Chan's character suffers a loss and he is out for revenge. Little does the opposition know that he isn't just a humble businessman, but that he possesses a particular set of skills...skills that he acquired over a very long career!

You know what happens next!

Nothing special. At all.

Pushing a 2/5 only because I don't remember much about the flick.
Man, Netflix is churning out the crap and you and I are the suckers watching it.

Completely agree with your 2/5, although I could go to 1.5/5 just because Pierce Brosnan's wooden faux-Irish accent gets really annoying after awhile. Completely rote movie on all counts.

I hope I hit a decent/interesting/good one on NF one of these evenings.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Brosnan’s best work:

FD139B54-11AD-4C78-A4AA-69AE4F2A7056.jpeg

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy crap was this movie dogshit. I mean, I knew going in not to expect much, but was at least looking forward to a cool satisfying action sequence at the end. It was like some straight to VHS movie from decades ago.

MV5BNTAxZWM2OTgtOTQzOC00ZTI5LTgyYjktZTRhYWM4YWQxNWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMwNDgzNjc@._V1_.jpg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
saw American Ultra, unoriginal story/script but who cares? terrific chemistry between Eisenberg and Stewart.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean, he’s Irish, though.
Yes but have you seen the movie? He played up the accent badly, maybe to underscore/emphasize the IRA-ness of it all, but it did not sound like his normal voice. It came off as contrived and inconsistent, maybe a given since he left Ireland eons ago.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never heard of it but has to be better than The Foreigner or the way-too-cute but mainly just smarmy Rem Steele/007 stuff he did. He starred in a movie wherein he was a bomb-maker not that long ago, which iirc was not great but at least OK. I don't recall much else of it now though.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy crap was this movie dogshit. I mean, I knew going in not to expect much, but was at least looking forward to a cool satisfying action sequence at the end. It was like some straight to VHS movie from decades ago.

MV5BNTAxZWM2OTgtOTQzOC00ZTI5LTgyYjktZTRhYWM4YWQxNWI0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjMwNDgzNjc@._V1_.jpg
OK, I have mentioned Avatar-as-Hell before but true 9th-level Hell would be Stallone starring in an Avatar spin-off. He drives me to complete boredom in everything he's in, just awful and stupid.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I have mentioned Avatar-as-Hell before but true 9th-level Hell would be Stallone starring in an Avatar spin-off. He drives me to complete boredom in everything he's in, just awful and stupid.

Lol, nobody is ****** enough to bring that movie to a ******* ****-palace. That human dude actor that hairfucked the pterodactyl and fucked the blue cat monster had about as much charisma a sack of dog ****.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1582769683693.jpeg

#94 THE STEPFATHER (1987)

In the eighties, everything was bigger. Hair was bigger. Cars were bigger. Greed was bigger. But nothing was bigger than divorce, an increasingly acceptable trend driven by the oddball confluence of a Me Generation ethos and feminism. Nearly everyone’s lives were touched in some way; if your own family survived implosion, then surely you were spending the night with a friend at their dad’s strangely barren apartment, or hearing them ***** about a new stepbrother, some mulleted bully with a name like Dallas or Boston. But the worst were the stepparents, who always seemed out to get you.

The Stepfather is a somewhat intriguing literalization of this fear. It starts out well, even shocking, as we see a man stepping calmly over the tiny corpse of his daughter, on his way to a fresh start with a new family. And Terry O’Quinn brings an intensity to the role that’s almost enough to hold things together. Unfortunately, the roles of his new wife and daughter are completely underdeveloped — a problem compounded by making the stepfather the protagonist — and the movie wastes its more interesting opportunities. It remains the villain’s story to the end, something that would have worked better in a funnier or more self-conscious 90s style film.

Early Me: Jill Schoelen should be my babysitter!
Current Me: 7

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
brosnan is good in Tailor of Panama
dalton is good in Hot Fuzz

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lol, nobody is ****** enough to bring that movie to a ******* ****-palace. That human dude actor that hairfucked the pterodactyl and fucked the blue cat monster had about as much charisma a sack of dog ****.
Oh, really? Nobody? I'm pretty certain that Jim and Sly sure would do it in a stupidly sentimental Ikran pterosaur's bleeting heartbeat if somebody just offered them enough strokes and incentives, yo.

RAVATAR.jpg

Last edited:

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Foreigner!
Ha ha ha! I guess maybe it's PB's new "golden age" genre, playing the grizzled vet of The Troubles with full-on discontinuous Irish brogue....

What the hell was the name of the other one? He's a bomb-maker maybe posing as a jeweler? He blows up a restaurant of MI-5 or -6 people at the beginning?

Edit: it is called Survivor; now that I'm remembering it was just an average revenge/blow em up/thriller.

He was good in The Ghost Writer, which wasn't bad at all, by Polanski with Ewan McGregor and a good supporting cast. The book (The Ghost) by Robert Harris was very good.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads