• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Sorry too busy rewatching the Irishman to read this.

I agree with the broad sentiment of the piece, but a few asides fave me pause. The critical browbeating about politics can be tiresome and makes me roll my eyes, but I really do think 2019 was a very good and interesting year for movies, among the best for the decade imo. There’s a certain political mindset that can only conceptualize politics in the language of consumption that is...not really a productive use of energy.

Neither here nor there but I didn’t enjoy either Us and Watchmen precisely because I felt like both were hamfisted in how they tried to convey their political “message”. I appreciate art with subtext, where there can be an interesting ideology in the background (whether I agree or not), but if your star actress is giving a two minute monologue just spoon feeding the primary metaphor of the movie for the audience (like in us)...I just roll my eyes.

Of course you didn't, racist.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The score for First Man is goddamn beautiful. The Apollo 11 mission portion might be my favorite movie sequence ever.
I liked that movie (loved the effects), but it’s just too maudlin.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
oh okay, no worries then. thanks for clarifying, apologies on my end as well. you never can tell.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I liked that movie (loved the effects), but it’s just too maudlin.

source (2).gif

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

#27 HALLOWEEN II: DOING IT FOR THE MONEY (1981)

I’d seen this one piecemeal, never whole. This tepid film is a 90 minute explanation as to why. Like the sequels to Karate Kid and Porky’s — also surprise moneymakers — the action picks up immediately where the first film left off. An unkillable twenty-one year-old lunatic rises from a nap, adjust his William Shatner mask, and pursues Jamie Lee Curtis to a barren hospital, where he hopes to murder her. His motivations will remain as mysterious as why his thirty year-old victims are still in high school. Soon, a gaggle of slutty women are violently dispatched, and it’s up to Jamie Lee Curtis to save the residents of the hospital. (Wait — why are there only slutty women in this hospital? Where are the doctors? The patients?).

Violent sexism has never been so boring. Spoilers — it’s a dude, not the final girl, that ends up stopping the mad man, and though they have much less screen time, the entire male supporting cast gets higher billing than the women(!).

See this only as part of a Halloween marathon.

Early Me: ?
Current Me: 2

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

#26 SPACE CAMP (1986)

Behold: the theatrical release that got away! Remember when movies were advertised in newspapers? (Remember newspapers?). Fridays, these ads would balloon from a mere square inch to a quarter page, a half page, a FULL PAGE AD FOR SPACE CAMP, THE MOVIE I HAD TO SEE!!!1

And who wouldn’t covet this tasty offering? Just look. It’s got a real spaceship, the hot incestuous mom from Back to the Future, that gay guy from Revenge of the Nerds, Jennifer Aniston’s boyfriend, Hot Indiana Jones woman, the naked girl from Misfits and John Travolta’s beard, Kelly Preston, and some uknown kid named Joaquin Phoenix.

A4C25D42-160B-438F-BF3C-7C29A692EC0C.jpeg

These hot people are gathered at Space Camp, a program for — wait, high schoolers? Hm... — to experience, virtually, the magic of space. Through some crazy mishap, they are actually, virtually, launched into space — with only their wits and Tom Skerrit to get them back down.

It’s really not a bad family-ish movie, competently filmed, and the cast and period heighten the enjoyment.

Early Me: (Why can’t I see this!)
Current Me: 7

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You forgot- a score by John Williams!

And TIL, Joaquin went by his "self given" name, Leaf Phoenix, until the early 90s.

The More You Know...™

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watched Color Out of Space last night. I still don't know, 12 hours later, if I liked it. It definitely wasn't awful, but not sure about it. Feels like a Shane Caruth directed Annihilation prequel.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
11a5f5ab9f8a7735168739d639f62f62--music-tv-movie-posters.jpg

Someone mention politics in movies?

I haven’t seen this in a few, but it is very well done.

Jeff Bridges is the US Pres looking to nominate a running mate for term 2(or the VP died...I forget). 2 main candidates float to the top(inside joke.)

Joan Allen is one of those candidates and the hurdles that are placed in her path pushes her to want to give up. Congressmen scheme. Aides aid. The people choose their pick.

The finale scene/speech of this movie is GOLD! The movie is top notch.

4/5.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
11a5f5ab9f8a7735168739d639f62f62--music-tv-movie-posters.jpg

Someone mention politics in movies?

I haven’t seen this in a few, but it is very well done.

Jeff Bridges is the US Pres looking to nominate a running mate for term 2(or the VP died...I forget). 2 main candidates float to the top(inside joke.)

Joan Allen is one of those candidates and the hurdles that are placed in her path pushes her to want to give up. Congressmen scheme. Aides aid. The people choose their pick.

The finale scene/speech of this movie is GOLD! The movie is top notch.

4/5.
100% agree.

That film seems very underrated/underappreciated.
5-star performances from all the leads, and great dialogue. Oldman is fantastic as almost always.

The near-end scene on the WH lawn got a bit sentimental for me, but at least not over-the-top overdone; it was fine. The final speech/scene was indeed fantastic, really great.

Too bad that the actuality of what is happening this very day in that same building pales so greatly, when actuality at those levels should in fact be far greater than any film.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
100% agree.

That film seems very underrated/underappreciated
5-star performances from all the leads, and great dialogue. Oldman is fantastic as almost always.

The near-end scene on the WH lawn got a bit sentimental for me, but at least not over-the-top overdone; it was fine. The final speech/scene was indeed fantastic, really great.

Too bad that the actuality of what is happening this very day in that same building pales so greatly, when actuality at those levels should in fact be far greater than any film.

I actually think that not many people know about this flick. It’s so good!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads