• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s not that he doesn’t want to see it, it’s the dismissiveness.

“I don’t know who that is and I don’t want to see it, so how can it possible deserve award nominations over these directors I know and these movies I want to see?”

That's still not sexism though. A bit narrow-minded perhaps, but I'm not seeing any indication that it's based on the gender of the director or most of the main characters.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Remind me the second question VV ?

Looks like you are taking things too seriously (Strange for a guy with a rabbit head). Relax mate this is just Internet.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Eh. Maybe if he hadn't dismissed it out of hand in favor of the two most testosterone laden films in this years Oscar line-up...

"Those silly people on Twitter who think the Oscar's have too many white men are crazy."

"You're nuts. I'm just not interested in that movie about women. I am however interested in these other films that happen to be made by and about white men."

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's still not sexism though. A bit narrow-minded perhaps, but I'm not seeing any indication that it's based on the gender of the director or most of the main characters.
Fine, but it’s not a difficult leap to make. He’s not going to say outright “I think it’s boring because it’s a movie about girls” at this point. But I’m done with this discussion, anyway. The original post was idiotic and needed to be addressed. It’s not worth continuing anymore because clearly the world revolves around Clouseau.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
TBH i just jumped in the discussion dont really mind about the Oscars...
Other American movies i liked (and watched) in 2019 : Ad Astra

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Fine, but it’s not a difficult leap to make. He’s not going to say outright “I think it’s boring because it’s a movie about girls” at this point. But I’m done with this discussion, anyway. The original post was idiotic and needed to be addressed. It’s not worth continuing anymore because clearly the world revolves around Clouseau.
Actually my first post was a joke.
Apparently you are a real idiot.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But giving a straight white woman a role that could have easily gone to a gay white woman who arguably (I have nothing to support this) rarely receives similar opportunities is problematic in an industry that is only beginning to address the paucity of "meaty" roles for minorities.

If a director is casting for a white female role they should absolutely audition actors of any sexual orientation but ultimately give the role to the best actor for the part. A creator's first priority should be the art they're creating and not whether or not they have enough minority characters or actors.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
If a director is casting for a white female role they should absolutely audition actors of any sexual orientation but ultimately give the role to the best actor for the part. A creator's first priority should be the art they're creating and not whether or not they have enough minority characters or actors.
Exactly.
IF my English was as good as VVs French i would have said the same thing.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Eh. Maybe if he hadn't dismissed it out of hand in favor of the two most testosterone laden films in this years Oscar line-up...

"Those silly people on Twitter who think the Oscar's have too many white men are crazy."

"You're nuts. I'm just not interested in that movie about women. I am however interested in these other films that happen to be made by and about white men."
Are You VVs friend?
Relax mate...

Now come on, stop the BS. I am just not interested in that movie, nothing to do with the fact a woman directed it.

I didn't watch "Joker" because it sounds boring too (to my taste), and creepy (if that's the correct word). (i like J.Phoenix though).
Is it Jokerism ?
I am a Jokerist ?

Last edited:

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's still a leap though, and I think it's always better to give someone the benefit of the doubt. I didn't see any overt sexism in the post and I don't think there's any dog-whistling in there either. I'd also never heard of Greta Gerwig until a few moments ago when I googled her and realised I'd seen and enjoyed Lady Bird a few years back.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not sure the two bolded are comparable

None of them are meant to be comparable — they’re just some of the reasons people are mad. MAD! Like, performatively mad — mad enough to tweet about it.

Anyway, Hollywood is a business. Studios aren’t out to redress society’s ills or even to give roles to the most qualified. They’re out to make money, and they do that by hiring people who fill seats.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I know I've seen the 1994 adaptation of Little Women at some point but as far as films go it's not really my cup of tea. Have little interest in seeing the remake but I don't see how a lack of interest could be construed as sexist?
If you read the post i said GERWIG, i didn't even noticed the director was a woman !
i was just referring to the fact this movie seems totally uninteresting (to me sorry it is just my modest opinion !), and that i liked Scorsese, and Tarantino.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have no interest in seeing Little Women(when it is available.)

Why?
-I don’t go to the movies. Last time was appr 15 years ago....and that was at the Montreal Film fest.
-I rarely watch “period pieces”.
-It just doesn’t interest me.

Yes....I know who Greta G is. No....a movie about women doesn’t factor in.

Does it deserve awards? Don’t really care.

And I didnt like The Irishman.

Just my opinion.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I didn't watch "Joker" because it sounds boring too (to my taste), and creepy (if that's the correct word). (i like J.Phoenix though).
Is it Jokerism ?
I am a Jokerist ?

Certified King **** right here. I didn't watch it either. Got through about 5 minutes of Joker (starring Robert DeNiro) and got bored with it and turned it off.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I still have Heath Ledger performance in my mind.

Not ready for another Joker, yet.

Will probably watch it, a day or another though.

I liked "The Irishman", i am still thinking of it sometimes, it's a sign (of a good movie, to me, i know i know, i am the center of the world).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads