What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

i also feel GFIII gets too much hate, i thought it was alright. i think it may suffer simply because its not on the level of the other 2

2. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

If you take Sofia Coppola out of GFIII and replace her with any competent actress the film becomes much better.

@Stitches, for my money you can beat the original Muppet Movie. In the overall genre, I'm always amazed at the number of celebrity appearances they are able to get for each of their movies.

3. stevent

stevent Senior member

Just watched Beginners last night, enjoyed it quite a bit, probably my favorite indie film in a while

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

anyone who is someone knows the muppets kick ass, thats why they get celebs.

5. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

Was this your first time seeing these? Woman in the Dunes is one of my favorites, probably top 5 or so. What was that other one of his on Criterion called...Pitfall, I think? That one was good, too, but Woman in the Dunes and Face of Another are on completely different levels from most other movies.

6. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

I'd seen both before, but not as Criterion releases which obviously makes an enormous difference.

Woman in the Dunes and The Face of Another are both sublime films and Woman in the Dunes is as close to a flawless film as I've probably ever seen (along with Ozu's Tokyo Story). When you consider how difficult it is to capture all the nuance and moral weight of Kobo Abe's work on film they are nothing short of remarkable. I could watch either of those two films on a loop for the next decade and I probably wouldn't get tired of them.

Have you read either of the books?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

7. dwyhajlo

dwyhajlo Senior member

I haven't had a chance to read either of the books yet, but they're on "The List."

8. Britalian

Britalian Senior member

I am Love.- Tilda Swinton does the Russian wife in this Italian family drama. Very stylish and superbly acted.
    Baciami Ancora (Kiss Me Again) - Italian relationships drama.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Quoted from Sancho Panzo Christ
    1. "The Swimmer" (1968) -- a ridiculously in-shape-for-55 burt lancaster decides that, while he's walking home (from where?) he'll swim through all his neighbor's swimming pools along the way. as you begin watching this film, you 're expecting typical hollywood fluff, and about an hour into it, your expectations are not challenged. and then at about the halfway point the mood shifts dramatically, and the remainder of the film is some of the most metaphysically desperate narrative i've ever seen, culminating in a most horrifying image. the film is clearly an allegory, but an allegory for what? this is not only a great film for people who demand to be given a deal of autonomy while watchign a film, but for those who like to ponder the more negative aspects of living identified by the existentialist philosophers. i've never walked away from a film feeling more empty in my life, but in a way that is rewarding in the extreme. it's based on a story by john cheever.

"The Swimmer" is my all time favorite short story and I never knew that it was made into a movie. The short story is an absolute masterpiece.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011

10. Lord-Barrington

"I Am Love" was a great looking film but the underlying message I found to be total bullshit. It made me enjoy the whole thing a lot less.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Bellflower

Really enjoyed it. Very real characters with an element of the surreal, well constructed.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

For me, this is the greatest sports related film ever, Grand Prix, made in 1966.

Get the special edition version, its remastered, the quality of the video is amazing. Its like watching a program made in the 60's in HD.

http://www.amazon.com/Grand-Two-Disc-Special-James-Garner/dp/B000FFJYCU

The footage and quality of the filming of the racing scenes is stunning. Frankenheimer actually followed the Formula 1 calendar around for an entire season to film, whatever happened, happened, and he had to work with it. His actors in their cars would do laps shortly before the real races and then he would meld the actual race with footage shot of the actors driving. Its incredibly compelling viewing even if you hate racing. Won 3 academy awards.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

13. stevent

stevent Senior member

Need a Nick Cave / Warren Ellis soundtrack style movie to watch tonight. Any suggestions?

Or indie / art with sleek design / music - ausencia praia or something of that like.

14. Lord-Barrington

The Proposition?

15. youngScholar

youngScholar Senior member

Just now watching Sexy Beast. :satisfied: