1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. lefty

lefty Senior member

^ Concur.

lefty

1 person likes this.
  2. zissou

zissou Senior member

Bone Tomahawk - One of the worst goddamn movies I've seen in a long time. It was an incredibly shallow movie. The dialogue seemed like it was taken out of a western movies dictionary, and the fight scenes were just dumb.

The Gift - So bad I didn't finish it.

Black Swan - Great Halloween night movie

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  3. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

I watched Schindler's List a few nights ago. I don't understand how it has a 8.9 rating in IMDB. I guess it would have seemed pretty cool at the time of release considering the content (1993, which would have been just prior to some arguably better films in 1994 such as The Lion King, The Shawshank Redemption, Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction, and Leon: The Professional), but 8.9/10 rating would seem to indicate a an almost perfect movie from the reviewers and it seems a little flat to me (other than the random killings that take place).

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Because Nazis.

2 people like this.
  5. lefty

lefty Senior member

So I can understand where you're coming from please put the three Iron Man movies in order from good to awesome.

lefty

3 people like this.
  6. zissou

zissou Senior member

I think I've only seen two, and the only thing I remember is how cute Gwyneth Paltrow was.

7. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  8. why

why Senior member

Just watched PT Anderson's first movie last night -- 'Hard' Eight' -- and it was probably the best performance I've seen from her. A damn fine movie in general too.

9. RSS

RSS Senior member

Boychoir with Dustin Hoffman and Kathy Bates. It's not outstanding, but it is most enjoyable.
    [VIDEO][/VIDEO]

10. Dr Huh?

Dr Huh? Senior member

[​IMG]

I enjoyed it quite a bit, although not quite as good as Cast Away, which is a movie that comes up when people talk about it.

[​IMG]

Funny. I'm surprised they didn't think about future sequels when they were making it.

[​IMG]

This one deserved more of an audience. One of the more original post apocalyptic movies I've seen, and Chris Evans is surprisingly excellent.

11. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

In addition to Schindler's List, I had a few other 3 hour films on my watchlist and none of them really satisfied me at all (not necessarily to the length either, but I suppose it is going to be much harder to sustain a film at that length): Amadeus, Barry Lyndon, The Right Stuff, and Spartacus.

The scenes seemed repetitious and the story/direction not very clear for all the films except Barry Lyndon. Barry Lyndon was actually going well until I just stopped caring for O'Neal's character as he was just not doing anything and his acting almost non-existent (seemed like Kubrick was more interested in showing lots of scenes to make the character's life story an epic adventure than to develop his main character and make him interesting or reachable so he just used a narrator to convey emotions). And with the stories of all the films not really progressing too much, it's kind of boring if the characters do the same things every time they show up in the scene.

1 person likes this.
  12. wojt

wojt Senior member

Yeah it was very well executed movie but a bit uninspired

I was skeptical before I watched this movie- meaning I'm polish and we are educated about Holocaust, WW2 etc as millions of Polish Jews and Polish freedom fighters died in German camps and during German occupation. So I thought this movie will be boring as I know this stuff(and seen/read loads on the subject), but frankly I really enjoyed the movie and loved Fiennes portrayal of the Nazi commander, he was superb. The whole mood of the movie really sucked me into it and made me almost feel I was there, dunno how to explain it. I would put it above films like Lion King or Leon The Proffesional tbh- though its hard for me to compare between genre.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  13. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Who the fuck liked the Lion King?

14. double00

double00 Senior member

The Right Stuff is a great story with a horrible horrible script. The book, on the other hand, is a friggin landmark of american literature.

There are lots of good 3+ hour movies. Amadeus is one of the best movies i've ever seen. The costuming alone has never been and likely will never be matched. The script is brilliant. The casting is brilliant. The music is mozart (but they didn't use a 'theme', simply selections from his catalog that were germane to the script!) They shot that movie in soviet prague as a stand-in for vienna... what a great film.

Mulholland Drive is way long and probably the best movie of its decade.

Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet is 4 hours or something. it's got an intermission. That is a good movie too, but it helps to be familiar with the play beforehand. Nobody does Shakespeare like Branagh.

Gone With the Wind is a good movie! hella minutes long.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  15. Harold falcon

Amadeus is fucking amazing. Haven't seen it in a few years but will have to rewatch. Everything about it is perfect, as I recall.

4 people like this.
  16. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

It was disturbing for a lot of people because Mozart is a legend, a child genius, a superior being.

We don't want to see our popular heroes acting in a disorganised manner.

Mozart was mentally ill and that was difficult to watch for many of his adorers.

17. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

Actually, after reading the summary of Amadeus, it seems I did not catch Salieri's intended plan of stealing Mozart's requiem as his own to play at Mozart's funeral. I didn't realize that as he wasn't even sure how to kill Mozart yet. Maybe this would have made the film a little more enjoyable - not sure.

18. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Art and politics were very interdependent these days...

A lot of politics and intrigues make history very fascination.

19. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

1 person likes this.
  20. Harold falcon

He killed Moatz Art!