• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i really need to get on that.

will they have the same actors? i heard that each season was to have different leads. is that true?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2x high octane over the last couple of days:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And just came back from this:

I realise the poster is large and it's not an official one either. Posting it, as I miss this kind of hand painted poster art (obviously Drew Struzan inspired), as opposed to the generic, cheap and fast photo collages that seem to have taken over. Credit for this one goes to Blake Armstrong.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i really need to get on that.

will they have the same actors? i heard that each season was to have different leads. is that true?

This is true. Different leads, different location, different cases. Season 1 starts slow, but boy does it pick up. I loved pretty much every second of it.

I am totally digging the Struzan inspired poster for GotG. Thanks for that Kap. The Raid: Redemption is bonkers

Last edited:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am totally digging the Struzan inspired poster for GotG. Thanks for that Kap. The Raid: Redemption is bonkers

You're very welcome.

By 'bonkers', do you mean over the top, insane fight choreography, impressively athletic stunts and ambitious camera work?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

This is true. Different leads, different location, different cases. Season 1 starts slow, but boy does it pick up. I loved pretty much every second of it.

I hope that the quality still keeps up, those are some serious leads to replace.

The Raid: Redemption is bonkers

I had never heard of this, will need to queue it up after i finish my WWII kick. After The Pacific is done i think i will watch Patton.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

And just came back from this:

I realise the poster is large and it's not an official one either. Posting it, as I miss this kind of hand painted poster art (obviously Drew Struzan inspired), as opposed to the generic, cheap and fast photo collages that seem to have taken over. Credit for this one goes to Blake Armstrong.

thats a great poster. how was the film?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was planning to skip this one, as I don't think that most of these comic book adaptations make for particularly good movies - with a few noticeable exceptions - but the great reviews drew me in. I think it was entertaining enough, but I had expected more from those reviews.

It actually made me think about if it's just me getting too old for this sort of thing, or if the movies of this type were better when I was a kid. I mean, I happily rewatch old Star Wars and Indy movies and think the mood, the actors, the story, etc still holds up, and when I watch most of these new ones, I usually think the story's a mess, the characters not that interesting and the whole thing looks like an excuse for more and more CGI. But I wonder if my love for those old ones came from seeing them first as a kid and if this new crop of adventure films, many which happen to be super hero movies, are going to be viewed as the new classics by the audience watching them now as teens, and who might well fall asleep if you showed them A New Hope...

Its definitely not like they aren't throwing everything they can at these new films - top directors and actors, huge budgets - but somehow they rarely work as movies for me. So yeah, I'm probably just getting too old for this.

Apologies for rambling, in the end, if you like this kind of thing, this will be the kind of thing you like :)

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh, i mean, you are allowed to group at will. i was just saying for me its hard to compare one to the other as far as grouping them in one top 5/10 list.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
started re-watching star wars in episode order. got about 15 minutes into ep one before turning on ep 2

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's an order (not sure why it's called Machete order) of watching Star Wars that skips Episode I with the order of IV, V, II, III, XI.

Heard good things about this method.

Last edited:

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's an order (not sure why it's called Machete order) of watching Star Wars that skips Episode I with the order of IV, V, II, III, XI.

Heard good things about this method.

I have been meaning to try that the next time I find someone who hasn't seen them.

Preserves the Vader reveal (although that probably only matters for kids...adults have probably all heard the line) but still provides the back story to the empire.

Ep 1 basically exists in a bubble... The bad guys all die...the good guys die or have their actors replaced..and the plot is unrelated. If you still really feel the need to watch it at the end...there is a re edited version that is tolerable.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A few years ago I watched a set of "fan edits" of the prequel Star Wars movies. They rearranged and (heavily) cut down the movies to make them almost tolerable. Entire plot points and characters were removed, motivations changed, etc. It was surprisingly effective.

Last edited:

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're very welcome.

By 'bonkers', do you mean over the top, insane fight choreography, impressively athletic stunts and ambitious camera work?

This is exactly what I mean.

if we're not allowed miniseries then for sure if you can forget the season finale

I didn't think the finale was THAT BAD. It certainly was a departure and different than I expected though...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads