1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

I gave my thumb based on the poster alone, but now that I've immersed myself in this nonsense, would like that thumb back. Post haste!

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

You guys are nuts. John Hughes is great. Even his schmaltzy (white privilege? :p) teen angst stuff (cmon..it was the 80s after all!)

Ferris is close..but Ill throw out Planes, Trains and Automobiles as my #1.

3. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Don't try to rank them. It's impossible.

(P.S. I just read Ben Stein's Hollywood Days, Hollywood Nights, and it's got some great behind the scenes moments from the Hughes films).

4. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Rebel Without A Cause is the teen cult film it started a cycle of teen films. In 1990, Rebel Without a Cause was added to Library of Congress's National Film Registry as being deemed "culturally, historically, and aesthetically significant".

Was impressed the first time I saw and still enjoy it once every decade.(sigh)

3 people like this.
  5. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It's interesting to hear different people's views.

I quite liked The Breakfast Club, but really loved Ferris Bueller's Day Off when at high school and, like Kid Nickels, my friends and I could recite whole scenes, but from FB's Day Off rather than The Breakfast Club.

12 years later, I showed my Japanese girlfriend (later my wife) Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and she hated it. She thought that Ferris Bueller was a spoiled, disrespectful brat who took advantage of his friends and who used everyone for his own enjoyment, without thinking of the consequences for them.

I've never been able to look at Ferris Bueller's Day Off in the same way since then!

1 person likes this.
  6. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

I know the movie is a 80's classic. I needed to watch it since one interesting director mentioned it as his principal inspiration besides Tarkovskij's 'Mirror' (which I love) and Fellini's '81/2' (which I find more troublesome and need to rewatch more often).

The Breakfast Club has some clever dialogue, for the most driven by the Bender character, as some of you have pointed out. But the filming is so 70's as they come; better off on the radio.

The most problematic with the movie is that whole plot is deeply false; not one second do I believe that so diverse people can gather under such circumstances and show their vulnerability and share so much common. People and the world are not like that. Might be in an american dream, where no social borders or classes exists - but not for me. Then I soon loose interest in them and this superstitious bagatelle.

2 people like this.
  7. anzar

anzar Senior member

Surely one thing cannot be liked by all at a same time,

so you are right too, and me too

8. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

[​IMG]

This was pretty cool. Didn't know what to expect of Kevin Bacon in this role, but I enjoyed it.

9. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

I saw that last week, too. Bacon was quite enjoyable in it. The kids were mostly non-annoying.

10. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Looks sick. On netflix or whereza?

11. b1os

b1os Senior member

I enjoyed Cop Car too.

12. ballmouse

ballmouse Senior member

I re-watched Alien, which I remembered I really enjoyed. But to my disappointment, I didn't really enjoy it this time.

Background of the ship/company is probably the best part of the plot, but it's not focused on after halfway through the film as then it's just a standard horror plot without any truly scary scenes. The characters and development are a bit lacking (probably the issue with most horror films). And the most iconic scenes did not look as fascinating as I remembered them to be.

I think the sci-fi/space/alien/erotic imagery in Alien goes too far. Ripley's panties are almost falling off her legs in that last scene - extremely distracting (and not in a good way). I think I'd prefer a horror like Jaws or John Carpenter's The Thing where I don't feel those odd undertones forced upon the viewer.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  13. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I love Alien. It's the best of the series and one of a handful of movies I always enjoy re-watching. 5/5 to me.

Recently re-visited this:

[​IMG]

Another 5/5.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
    6 people like this.
  14. javyn

javyn Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. lefty

lefty Senior member

Go to the cinema in 1979. Line up for a few hours with the other nerds because you want the centre seat of row 8. Let the sparse elegant score creep up on you as the giant 70mm screen makes you feel that you are truly alone in the universe. Watch something you (or anyone else) has never seen before. Grip the armrest of your chair as the suspense builds. Delight in the fact that it's as far away as possible from the kiddie movie that is Star Wars.

Then get back to me.

lefty

5 people like this.
  16. Harold falcon

Harold falcon Senior member

Alien was and still is amazing.

Speaking of Ridley, I saw The Martian today. It was pretty decent. I don't think it deserves quite all the love I've been seeing, but most of it was quite entertaining. It's pretty much a remake of Robinson Crusoe on Mars from back in the day, but still quite good.

3 people like this.
  17. BrooksLauren77

BrooksLauren77 Senior member

Cissy!

18. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Try growing up with his last name....Ferris

19. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I watched Alien again recently and I think it holds up pretty damn well. Ripley's knickers and all.

4 people like this.
  20. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.