1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

[​IMG]

Interesting take on the serial killer genre. Ben Kingsley plays a 'remote viewer' who is a psychic able see serial killers at work. What follows is a hunt and catch film with a few twists as Arron Eckhart comes to realise that the perp he is chasing is hunting serial killers.

Not spectacular but a solid 2.5/5

2. Hombre Secreto

Hombre Secreto Senior member

3. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

VERY over-rated. Flick did nothing for me.

4. Geoffrey Firmin

All Gone Girl did was make me angry thought the story was a crock of shit. A try hard attempt at Hitchcock which failed IMHO

"what a bitch" was my sons reaction after seeing it.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  5. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

I started watching it. Fell asleep. Then watched it a few days later. Not impressed at all. It is one of those movies that I never see myself watching again.

6. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Be helpful if you gave some feedback.
    (I saw this..but others may not have.)

7. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

The plot was a crock but it held my attention. I thought it was pretty entertaining all-in-all. eg the lengths she went to etc. The end really gets ridic, of course.

2 people like this.
  8. rossoz

rossoz Senior member

Airplane

",,, and don't call me Shirley"

Cheers,

1 person likes this.
  9. Big Pun

Big Pun Senior member

Sideways is an awesome movie, put down the jib.

1 person likes this.
  10. gettoasty

gettoasty Senior member

I was introduced to this film by a friend.

Interesting idea. I thought the movie was kind of mediocre. When I want some background noise while fidgeting with something I usually like to throw on a film that I can glance at every now and then and still know what's going on. This is that type of movie.

I liked the juxtaposition between the various zones and how it was filmed. Only highlight for me was seeing Cillian Murphy play another character aside from Scarecrow. Justin Timberlake cannot act.

11. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

Chinesies Roulette - Rainer Werner Fassbinder (1976)

[​IMG]

Fassbinder made only one film about relationship from the child's point of view. He always believed that marriage and family was the most repressive of all human relations. Hence this film where everybody is untrue, cheat each other and all are out of sync with themselves. The child's physical disability is a metaphor of her lack of parental love and care.

This movie also shows an other side of Fassbinder's art; every character is portrayed as persons with a wide spectrum of feelings and motivations. Even the child, whom we instinctively sympathizes with, has wickedness in her. And the ugly servant, who could have been an KZ-commander, helps the poor blind.

The the lightning is interesting and typical German in the 70-ies. The use of mirrors and reflecting surfaces is Fassbinder in a nutshell; we are never really sure if we see the person or just an image of him; what is real and what is not? In this movie he also uses dolls as a metaphor for the restricted possibilities we have to be humans. He didn't use doll as often as mirrors; good for us since mirrors are a better metaphor.

Nice movie if you are in the need to loose faith in humans or if you want to get the 70ies view on family.

1 person likes this.
  12. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

The bitter tears of Petra von Kant - Rainer Werner Fassbinder (1972)

[​IMG]

People need each other - they just have not learned how to live together.

Fassbinder knew how to portrait women, and this is a most beautiful and intense chamber play about the longings and needs of fashion designer Petra von Kant, who is convinced she is over relationships once and for all since her last two affairs were shipwrecks, but after saying all the right things, she does all the same old mistakes over again. She treats her servant like a slave, and her wise word of freedom are just hallow. Petra is so deprived of love and so out of contact with herself that she confuses love with dependence, trust with control, and never finds out how to deal with the intense feelings she is a victim of. When she meets real love, she is unable to recognize it and way to respond in a way that brings her what she needs.

This is a movie that everybody who have been in a troublesome loveaffair will feel speaks to them. Fassbinder is such a accurate observer of all the small pays we play, and he explains why we do it; we are both afraid and we are in need. He does this with so much love and affections for his characters and he never moralizes. All persons in this movie is understood in their own right. That makes Fassbinder so good.

As so often Fassbinder has a certain part of Ibsen about him: the servant, Marlene - to whom the movie is dedicated - breaks up and leaves. It's just like Nora in 'A doll'shouse'; she is leaving, but we can not rest assured if it is to something better.

1 person likes this.
  13. Geoffrey Firmin

[​IMG]

First time i've seen this in a over 15 years forgot how good a film it is. Michael Douglas at his career best also starting Sean Penn and Deborah Kara Unger. Fascinating concept and highly entertaining. Douglas wears some slick suits in the production and this memorable exchange occurs.

MD There goes a thousand dollars

DKU Your shoes cost a thousand dollars

MD That one did

4/5

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    3 people like this.
  14. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

^ my favorite film of his. loved it

1 person likes this.
  15. SirReveller

Hahaha everyone on here loved that flick
    Ditto!

16. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Solid flick.
    That was not my favorite of his.

17. SirReveller

What's M-Doug's best ter?
    Ima throw a curveball:
    Black Rain
    [​IMG]

Sick!

18. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

Nope it's Wall Street no questions asked

1 person likes this.
  19. SirReveller

Dammit! Oh christ..i did not think this thru

20. Geoffrey Firmin

Black Rain is a great film.

Apples and oranges to compare it to Wall St.