1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What Movies Are You Watching Lately

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by edinatlanta, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

The Merchant of four season - Rainer Werner Fassbinder (1971)

[​IMG]

After a misconduct Hans has to leave his job as a policeofficer and slides down the social ladder and must work a fruitmerchant, an occupation that his bourgeois family despises. He is unable to live up to the expectations from his surroundings, betrayed by his wife, whom he molest, but who can not leave him any more than he can live without her.

It is a movie where all the persons are in some kind of unhealthy and overdependent relation to each other, and everybody cheat or betray each other; often when they most try to get help and support. Hans and the others characters needs love and respect, but are so out of contact with their emotions, so emotional suppressed, that they are unable to get what they need. Instead Hans gets depressed, confused and violent, and in the end selfdestructive.

This is a topic that Fassbinder returned to in all his movies; the exploitation of feelings and the destructiveness of a society that doesn't let people live in accordance with their needs.
    In this movie Fassbinder also explores the conflict from a child's perspective. He is often referring to childhood as formative years in his movies, but seldom portraits children. We can only fear how Hans daughter, Renate, is damaged of the violence and sexuality she is exposed to.

The movie is technically easy made. Straight told story, with character-instruction that is a bit styized, they are all a bit stiff and estranged. The cutting is somewhat strange too, since he cuts the scenes a little bit later than we would expect, making an slow and tardy effect. Still the movie is fresh and not dull.
    Nice movie, sad as all he made. Certainy woth a peek.

2 people like this.
  2. SirReveller

SirReveller Senior member

Hahahaha "holy sh*t why is high art so depressing??"

Jk- sounds very interesting.

3. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Agreed. Ridley's first three movies really were his best. The DVD commentary track gives some interesting insights into how he accomplished the often magnificent shots on a very small budget.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. SirReveller

To be honest I had to look up #2 and #3..

(Alien
    Blade Runner)

Now that I did..agreed!

5. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

It is a very important question.
    Why has Aristoteles's tragedies survived and not his work on comedy?
    We need both, but it is so much easier to finish a comedy. A tragedy has often so many layers and levels, and deals with quite different challenges; most of all: What does it mean to be a human being?
    Since the answer depends on the person asking and the historical time that person is living in, we must ask the question over and over for ever new generation.
    Comedy is fun, and can say important tings about the same question, but can never give as good answers as a tragedy.

6. SirReveller

Roy you're one deep mofo...I love it!

1 person likes this.
  7. JFST

JFST Senior member

Yesterday was a movie day, sadly the choices weren't good.
    [​IMG]
    2/5. unsubstantial, was hoping that Dafoe would lift the movie with his acting but...anyway, beats Cusack take on the end of the world.
    [​IMG]
    Strange as fuck this one, can't really tell if it's a 2/5 or a 3/5...will have to watch again someday.

2 people like this.
  8. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

Nah. It's just show-off to impress you guys. [​IMG]

9. SirReveller

Hahahaha.."someone's showing off on a forum principally dedicated to the posting of one's material possessions??" :p

1 person likes this.
  10. Roy Al

Roy Al Senior member

Feel like I'm home. :-D

11. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

[​IMG]

Caught this last night. It tells the true story of members of Uruguay's rugby team and how some survived after their plane crashed in the Andes mountains in 1972.
    Solid. 3/5.

1 person likes this.
  12. SirReveller

Dude that one is amazing
    4/5 min I'd say

13. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

To me it seemed like it was just missing "something" to push it to that 4/5 level. 3.5/5 is probably what I would give it.

14. SirReveller

You're a tough critic ter!

Then again one family friends of ours ceased taking my advice after they actually saw Judge Dredd (sly) in theaters off my reco. Hahahahaha

Yep. I stand by my counsel to this day! Lol

15. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

My thing is that 4/5 flicks are just a notch below perfect ones(ex. Double Indemnity, Jaws, Godfather, The Hustler, Shawshank, Silence of the Lambs, etc.)
    I would not put Alive 1 notch below any of those flicks. It's solid....but not 4/5 IMO.

16. SirReveller

I'm ok giving all those 4.5s (5 for GF) and 4 to Alive.

...Perhaps a more intricate scale of measure is called for? Lol

17. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Some recs of 5/5 from you?

18. SirReveller

Hmmm...great challenge question. I doubt I would put anything you and the rest of the world haven't heard of up at 5/5...

I'm not arthouse Fellini etc at all (which is not to disparage those ones btw) so I'd go ahead and say Big Lebowski was a 5/5 comedy and Goodfellas a 5/5 crime drama.

19. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

Goodfellas...def.
    Really haven't watched BL in a while.

20. SirReveller

Shawshank is a 5/5 and a rare one b/c it's such a crowd pleaser. How many 5s could you watch w your gf? Your grandma? Lol
    Just about everyone under the sun loves that one.